The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

are ya'll ready for this ?

KINGSMAN - The Secret Service to be the first 4K UHD BluRay title

kingsman_ultrahd_s_2015.jpg

20th Century Fox just confirmed than they plan to release all of their new movies on home video to the 4K UltraHD Blu-ray format at the same time as the regular Blu-ray edition.

http://www.nextgenho...-blu-ray-title/

bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda ... then we had sex

Edited by mello yello

KINGSMAN - The Secret Service to be the first 4K UHD BluRay title

Excellent... good film to start the new format with. :)

It's not made clear though if these new titles are being released with a HDR as well as being in UHD/4K...

JSmith :ninja:

i have no idea what you just asked, so i had to Google HDR

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=HDR&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=3uRHVqfiKMHXmgXbn4vIAQ

the article (and Fox) dont mention technical details just yet, but it should be fun speculating or making a wish list of what we want

hopefully this thread will be both informative and enlightening for both the technically minded and the relative technical midgets (like me)

:)

ok, going to need

• a 4K UHD television (getting cheaper)
  • a 4K UHD player ( becoming available)
  • a 4K UHD receiver i would imagine (already available)
  • and a lot more discs (print them, we will come)

of course there are download options like NutFlakes where all you need is a good high bitrate internet connection and reliable provider and a TV,

and Fox's early adopter involvement with the hardware discs could possibly be an experiment in the market place or just to get BnM shelf exposure as a sequway into Foxtel 4K UHD channels,

its all very interesting, and i wonder if the hardware route is cheaper in the long run than perpetual internet costs

Foxtel could kill the market and NutFlakes with just a few simple high bitrate 4K channels...if they were smart

personally i prefer the real disc real deal

Edited by mello yello
  • Like 1

I'm nearly there:

I've got a 65" LG TV that shows Netflix 4K already. This looks damn good, and that's bandwidth limited. UHD BD should be very nice.

I bought a new Denon AVR-7200W with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 for UHD a couple weeks ago (Atmos with DTS:X upgrade via firmware soon). What surprised me was how good it's 4K upscaling looks! (From 1080 sources).

There's a few 4K media players becoming available or recently released. My Kodi Intel NUC will do HEVC (h.265).

I'm waiting on confirmation of how UHD BD will license its streaming/downloads. I'm hoping we can buy a digital copy more cheaply than on disc (no media shipping/manufacturing and maybe less margin for digital retailers. Will we even need distributors in a streaming/digital file world? Just buy directly from the studios?)

Here we go again, the bleeding edge of Sony technology strikes again. :D

It all seems rather fuzzy to me but haven't we been duped by them before into thinking ..... this is the promise of video heaven about to be fulfilled ? :unsure:

Enter the world of firmware updates and disc compatibility problems at your peril, it may be better this time round, one can only hope. :D

C.M

• Like 1

Yeah... I don't think I'll be upgrading any of my collection this time around.

I'll buy new ones though on the new format once the pricing settles down for both hardware and discs.

HDR seems to be a fairly good development;

"The idea behind HDR is that it can provide a higher level of contrast between light and dark images on the screen to create a much more realistic image. That may not sound like a lot on paper, but in reality, it’s a pretty significant move. In fact, many in the industry believe HDR represents a significantly bigger leap in picture quality than UHD’s higher resolution."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdr-for-tvs-explained/

As discussed in other threads, UHD on a small screen that is typical of a TV is rather pointless, unless of course you use binoculars and move your head a lot.

HDR may be to some advantage but it almost seems, at least to me, that the gamma is being manipulated somewhat by manufacturers to enhance contrast. I just wonder how linear that HDR grey scale really is ?

Owen is into this stuff more than most, maybe he is clued up enough on HDR to give it a thumbs up.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

Excellent... good film to start the new format with. :)

It's not made clear though if these new titles are being released with a HDR as well as being in UHD/4K...

It is my understanding that all disks released under the UHD banner must have a form of HDR embedded.

Currently HDR10 and Dolby Vision are the two options, with each being mutually exclusive. I don't know enough at this stage to say which is better, but it looks like most disks will be HDR10, some may have both, and a smaller percentage with Dolby Vision alone.

From the information coming out of Germany( Ekki at cine4home) with the testing of the new JVC X5000/7000/9000 projectors it looks like HDR and the new improved DCI-P3 colour gamut included in the UHD standard are "very worthwhile" improvements over Bluray. Certainly much more than the improvement provided by the increase in resolution to 4k.

It is my understanding that all disks released under the UHD banner must have a form of HDR embedded.

Currently HDR10 and Dolby Vision are the two options, with each being mutually exclusive. I don't know enough at this stage to say which is better, but it looks like most disks will be HDR10, some may have both, and a smaller percentage with Dolby Vision alone.

From the information coming out of Germany( Ekki at cine4home) with the testing of the new JVC X5000/7000/9000 projectors it looks like HDR and the new improved DCI-P3 colour gamut included in the UHD standard are "very worthwhile" improvements over Bluray. Certainly much more than the improvement provided by the increase in resolution to 4k.

hi dave, do be sure to post in the jvc thread if come across any juicy bits relating :)

ah, a technical giant, welcome IMDave and thank you for that info

what would i get for the family cow and a handful of beans? lol

would i get one of those fancy PJs?

Edited by mello yello

It all seems rather fuzzy to me but haven't we been duped by them before into thinking ..... this is the promise of video heaven about to be fulfilled ? :unsure:

Enter the world of firmware updates and disc compatibility problems at your peril, it may be better this time round, one can only hope. :D

C.M

perhaps Toshiba might develop their own 4K format

is there anything stopping another high resolution format ?

i mean as i understand it, its a blu ray format with a higher resolution, there is nothing stopping another company offering the same resolution in their own format, SONY cant hold a copyright or a patent on resolutions

perhaps if they overpriced and gouged (depending on its take up and popularity) another company might see an opportunity to be competitive and we might be lucky and see another format war on these here hallowed halls once again LOL

I think Toshiba have lost face from the previous format wars when one considers they had a saleable product but had failed to market it properly.

Likewise, unless Sony markets 4K properly it too will fail.

A higher resolution than 1080p won't convince people to spend on a similar sized screen nor will a brighter screen or even HDR.

Consumers have already bought into home theatre with 1080p Blu-ray and they are not likely to throw all that gear out to replace it with expensive upgrades that gives them marginal improvements.

4K requires a very big screen to justify its implementation, that means in a practical sense the use of a suitable projector in a dedicated room. In a great many households that is not going to happen.

4K is really pushing it up hill even more so than Blu-ray did in getting itself accepted in the marketplace.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

Yes Dave ;posted this awhile ago ;;HDR10 is the mandatory spec for uhd bd [and is handled by all the new jvc's - sweet ] Dolby vision seems to be the best of the non mandatory ones ;phillips one not as good ..samsungs tv only proprietary one not as good either :question:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/196862-next-generation-jvcs-x500070009000/?view=findpost&p=2038713

I think Toshiba have lost face from the previous format wars when one considers they had a saleable product but had failed to market it properly.

Likewise, unless Sony markets 4K properly it too will fail.

A higher resolution than 1080p won't convince people to spend on a similar sized screen nor will a brighter screen or even HDR.

Consumers have already bought into home theatre with 1080p Blu-ray and they are not likely to throw all that gear out to replace it with expensive upgrades that gives them marginal improvements.

4K requires a very big screen to justify its implementation, that means in a practical sense the use of a suitable projector in a dedicated room. In a great many households that is not going to happen.

4K is really pushing it up hill even more so than Blu-ray did in getting itself accepted in the marketplace.

C.M

be some benefit from 4k, but for most its going to be marginal as we dont have imax setups ! to appreciate the better than imax res the format delivers. recent reviews coming are showing good benefit with HDR and wider gamut which regardless of 4k hopefully there for all to enjoy :)

Yes Dave ;posted this awhile ago ;;HDR10 is the mandatory spec for uhd bd [and is handled by all the new jvc's - sweet ] Dolby vision seems to be the best of the non mandatory ones ;phillips one not as good ..samsungs tv only proprietary one not as good either :question:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/196862-next-generation-jvcs-x500070009000/?view=findpost&p=2038713

Shazam, out-scooped again. :D

It does seem that UHD has peaked a lot of interest. I know that with my recent obsession to learn about the new JVC's there has been a lot to bone up on.

I am also a little concerned that if I end up with an X7000, then jump on to an Oppo 4k player when it's released, that with my old AVR, I'm going to have to overhaul the entire chain and upgrade that too.

It's a lot of investment considering we'll probably not see a massive UHD catalogue for quite a while. Especially 4k DI UHD, not just upconverted 2k scans.

Ah the price of the bleeding edge. Just don't tell the wife. :zorro:

Yes, I too am being slowly seduced by the forthcoming expectations of the JVC X7000 projector, but it's all the rest to upgrade that erks me.

I already have 3 Denon AVR's, 3 projectors, a number of Blu-ray players and DVD players, an XE1 HD DVD player (barely used... thankyou Toshiba) 2 Mede8er media players..... the list just goes on and on.

That's why I have decided to wait this one out for a year or two to see if the format actually gets traction.

That X7000 does look nice though. :lol:

C.M

Edited by Tweet

• 3 weeks later...

ok, going to need

• a 4K UHD television (getting cheaper)

entry level into the fascinating world of Ultra High Definition aka 4K

ALDI have a 65inch UHDTV selling for $1199

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/196887-a-l-d-i-monster-65incher-u-h-d-t-v-for-1199/

unfortunately that thread was closed due to persistent trolling, this thread wont suffer the same fait

one box ticked

ALDI have a 65inch UHDTV selling for $1199

one box ticked

Get a uhd player with dual hdmi outs mello and if your happy with the current lossless channel codecs you can skip this :winky: ;

a 4K UHD receiver i would imagine (already available)