Next Generation Jvc's: X5000/7000/9000

14 minutes ago, jmone said:

Got my X7500 roughed in with the rest of the AV Gear.  Any quick settings I should change / use for now (prior to getting it calibrated)?

Thanks

Nathan

wouldn't bother calibrating 350 to as much as 500 hours some will say

thx mode is pretty handy out of box and with little tweaking is pretty d@mn good to take you to calibration.

if have access to some setup discs, i would do the very basics of lamp output to pull iris back so in the order of 12-14 FL or 9-12 if prefer less brightness. also brightness and contrast with the patterns and colour by eye to suit given some reference images.

for HDR there are jvcs recommendation depending on your screen size and the clipping patterns if want to optimise :) (refer jvc site) and R&M patterns or sony egg patterns on disc.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, said:

wouldn't bother calibrating 350 to as much as 500 hours some will say

Where do you get these numbers from and what evidence supports such a long wait?
Are you ever going to see that X7000 of yours calibrated? :rolleyes:

350 - 500 seems really high to me. Considering your lucky to get a good 2000 hours out of a globe before it starts to look average. 100 hours is all thats needed before a calibration.

1 hour ago, sero said:

350 - 500 seems really high to me. Considering your lucky to get a good 2000 hours out of a globe before it starts to look average. 100 hours is all thats needed before a calibration.

you are thinking some old gen jvc. and you get a lot more out of globes in anycase even the x35, if you are only getting 2000 out of globe id suggest you have some problems.. 100 hours is NO where enough for a calibration. the lamps on the new gen machines have a much extended life in fact at quite high hours show hardly any drop off in output. and this is a whole new gen of light engine with new grid polarisers etc thats why they achieve the awesome contrast even through they are higher output. you need to put away your old preconceptions if you have some. and all reports are showing quite a bit of droop as high as 350 hours and i have been told if want to be safe aim for 500 :)

you can always buy a spider and do an autocal if you like as many have done as well. however for a full professional calibration given the costs involved(keeping in mind we arent just talking a simple calibration) wiht this machines and then with what goes in arranging you dont want to blow it at 100 hours. Perhaps you have money to blow, all i can only tell you what the reports are if want to do whatever that is anyones wish

Yeah still rocking the X35 mate :P And scratch that i just checked my hours and when the indicator light/message popped up it was 2900 hours.. My globe had dimmed a lot and on bright white scenes i could see it slowly pulsing like the globe was flickering. Happy to be corrected and informed that the new Jvc projectors have improved there globe life :)

Well after nearly 3 years in the wilderness (well Singapore actually) we are about to repatriate into our house and am looking at upgrading the projector before we move back in. Currently have a HD950 with a virtually useless lamp and was wondering do I upgrade to the 9500 or the 7500 or do I go a different route altogether. I have been out of it for so long that I havent been keeping track of progression or issues with the JVC range. The fact the HD950 served me so well I thought I would stick with the brand. 

I have reached out to OzTheatre for a price on both and waiting to hear back on that front. Not interested in buying in Singapore not worth it for projectors, other AV kit not a problem, picked up a couple JL Audio subs for the rear of the room with a $1500 discount over Oz but projectors are more expensive overall. Any guidance on the new range would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance Arthur!

Hey mate good to see you again. How's tricks, I was surprised to see minimum traffic on some of the topics considering I haven't been on here for nearly 3 years.

Might have to check out your link ??

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

Hey, have a question to those with 2.35:1 screens - do these and the Epson 9300 with their lens memory cut off the black bars or simply move them out of the screen area?

They simply move the black bars off the screen unless you're using an anamorphic lens.

50 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

Hey, have a question to those with 2.35:1 screens - do these and the Epson 9300 with their lens memory cut off the black bars or simply move them out of the screen area?

Effectively all you are doing is zooming the image out making it larger. Therefore, you end up with the black bars overscanning  outside the frame of the screen. The JVC's do have an option to mask off a portion of the image.See page 47 of the manual:http://www33.jvckenwood.com/pdfs/B5A-1144-16.pdf

But I've never tried it.

The JVC's have such good "blacks" for the black bars that I've never felt the need.

Sorry Rob beat me to it.

Edited by IMDave

The epson has pixel blanking too, but you'd need to turn it on and off going between formats which is not an on/off button, but going into the menu and selecting top and bottom and incrementally adjusting back and forth, best to just project the black bars onto a dark colour wall if using scope screen.

1 hour ago, k3nnis888 said:

By using the zoom function to display 2:35:1 does it lose quality compared to using an anamorphic lens? 

You're actually still displaying it as 16:9 material, so no. An A-lens gives you a bit more brightness and can give a bigger picture when throw distance is limited, but you introduce more scaling using the stretch function, plus any optical distortions in the A-lens (quality varies). I use one of Mark T's Mk4 A-lenses and it is very sharp.

Anyone having issues with Foxtel IQ3 dropping sound (over HDMI) when the JVC x7500 is powered on?  I've got the IQ3 --> Yami 3060 --> x7500 all using HDMI.

I've tried these tips : http://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Foxtel-iQ3/iQ3-My-iQ3-has-no-sound-when-I-turn-it-on/m-p/55500 without luck.  I also see an FHQ that this issue also appears with some HDR TV's - https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Foxtel-iQ3-Knowledge-Base/I-have-picture-but-no-sound-via-the-Foxtel-iQ3/ta-p/173957

Thanks

Nathan

Edit - using an Optical Audio cable works but I'd just prefer to use HDMI.

Edited by jmone

• 3 weeks later...

Well haven't posted in a while, watched Kong skull island last night on the x5000 wow, stunning picture quality from 1080p from the OPPO only have 170 hrs on this unit and it looks better every movie I watch, picture is so bright and I am -8 on IRIS stunning, be interesting to see if JVC bring some new models out this year , it would be the only reason I upgrade.

2 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Hi Chrisso,

how big is your screen?

Hey Ken,  I shoot on to a 120 " 16 x 9 fixed frame in dedicated room black velvet walls and Matt black ceiling, the ceiling is the only thing I have changed since owning the EPSON but dark scenes in the movie last night were  absolutely stunning. I have not had it calibrated and am using settings from Kriss deering from avs that he sent me and dont know if its gamma drift but it looks better than ever. The EPSON just never looked bright enough unless yo were in high lamp mode but i could not stand the noise. Would still like to try 4k one day soon but still loving 1080 bluray on this thing, regards Chris.

2 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks Chris. What is your throw and seating distance?

Throw is about 4.5 mtrs and seating just behind at about 5 mtrs i would prefer to be closer but have a corner chaise lounge so its up against the back wall, looks stunning, got the latest furious movie to check out tonight.