Next Generation Jvc's: X5000/7000/9000

Hey, have a question to those with 2.35:1 screens - do these and the Epson 9300 with their lens memory cut off the black bars or simply move them out of the screen area?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks mate. 

11 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

Hey, have a question to those with 2.35:1 screens - do these and the Epson 9300 with their lens memory cut off the black bars or simply move them out of the screen area?

They simply move the black bars off the screen unless you're using an anamorphic lens.

50 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

Effectively all you are doing is zooming the image out making it larger. Therefore, you end up with the black bars overscanning  outside the frame of the screen. The JVC's do have an option to mask off a portion of the image.See page 47 of the manual:http://www33.jvckenwood.com/pdfs/B5A-1144-16.pdf

But I've never tried it.

The JVC's have such good "blacks" for the black bars that I've never felt the need.

Sorry Rob beat me to it.

Edited by IMDave

The epson has pixel blanking too, but you'd need to turn it on and off going between formats which is not an on/off button, but going into the menu and selecting top and bottom and incrementally adjusting back and forth, best to just project the black bars onto a dark colour wall if using scope screen.

1 hour ago, k3nnis888 said:

By using the zoom function to display 2:35:1 does it lose quality compared to using an anamorphic lens? 

You're actually still displaying it as 16:9 material, so no. An A-lens gives you a bit more brightness and can give a bigger picture when throw distance is limited, but you introduce more scaling using the stretch function, plus any optical distortions in the A-lens (quality varies). I use one of Mark T's Mk4 A-lenses and it is very sharp.

Anyone having issues with Foxtel IQ3 dropping sound (over HDMI) when the JVC x7500 is powered on?  I've got the IQ3 --> Yami 3060 --> x7500 all using HDMI.

I've tried these tips : http://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Foxtel-iQ3/iQ3-My-iQ3-has-no-sound-when-I-turn-it-on/m-p/55500 without luck.  I also see an FHQ that this issue also appears with some HDR TV's - https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Foxtel-iQ3-Knowledge-Base/I-have-picture-but-no-sound-via-the-Foxtel-iQ3/ta-p/173957

Thanks

Nathan

Edit - using an Optical Audio cable works but I'd just prefer to use HDMI.

Edited by jmone

• 3 weeks later...

Well haven't posted in a while, watched Kong skull island last night on the x5000 wow, stunning picture quality from 1080p from the OPPO only have 170 hrs on this unit and it looks better every movie I watch, picture is so bright and I am -8 on IRIS stunning, be interesting to see if JVC bring some new models out this year , it would be the only reason I upgrade.

2 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Hi Chrisso,

how big is your screen?

Hey Ken,  I shoot on to a 120 " 16 x 9 fixed frame in dedicated room black velvet walls and Matt black ceiling, the ceiling is the only thing I have changed since owning the EPSON but dark scenes in the movie last night were  absolutely stunning. I have not had it calibrated and am using settings from Kriss deering from avs that he sent me and dont know if its gamma drift but it looks better than ever. The EPSON just never looked bright enough unless yo were in high lamp mode but i could not stand the noise. Would still like to try 4k one day soon but still loving 1080 bluray on this thing, regards Chris.

2 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks Chris. What is your throw and seating distance?

Throw is about 4.5 mtrs and seating just behind at about 5 mtrs i would prefer to be closer but have a corner chaise lounge so its up against the back wall, looks stunning, got the latest furious movie to check out tonight.