Next Generation Jvc's: X5000/7000/9000

I bought the same one for the X500. Also the Digitech WC7511. D9 Pin Socket lead, for Null Modem.

I will have to put thinking cap on to remember how I did it. Can't see the program on the laptop, what are you using?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, flamjam said:

I'm just about to buy my first pj. How are the JVC's when it comes to motion handling? We watch a lot of ice hockey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC's motion handling is good, not great. Sonys do motion better, but have greyer blacks and suffer from contrast degradation over time, especially in humid environments.

I haven't added much to this thread recently ( can't believe it's reached 50 pages), however, as one of the major reasons for buying an X7000 was to implement 4kUHD HDR when it finally arrived, I thought it worthwhile to let people know of the recent developments with regard to the creation of HDR gamma curves for these units.

For anyone that has invested in a 4kUHD player, like me, they may have initially been underwhelmed with the implementation of HDR using JVC's Gamma D.

For me it resulted in a very dark and oversaturated image.

Well, the good news is that there have been some amazing developments over on AVS, whereby you can create your own Gamma curve ( or any number of Custom Gamma's) based on your individual nit output of your JVC at your throw distance, lamp mode and iris setting.

It is a complete game changer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am no longer interested in SDRBT2020, when I can customise my own HDR gamma curves.

Read along :

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2246658-jvc-calibration-software-v6-2015-models-x9000-x7000-x5000-rs400-rs500-rs600.html

It may seem a bit daunting initially, however, it really is quite simple. And very quick.

Give it a shot. It is sooooo worth it.

Edited by IMDave
terminology

• 1 month later...

well Haven't posted in here for a while, watched Moana with the kids last night in plain old 1080p from the OPPO and it looked stunning on the JVC the colours and the night scenes are truly stunning even the wife said I have never seen the stars look like that on the night scenes, great movie to look at on the JVC. 

• 4 weeks later...

I notice that JVC now has a X7500 model ... does anyone know what (if any) the difference would be to the X7000?  For a long time I have been contemplating a 4K upgrade path from my X3 .... so still gathering information and trying to convince myself to wait longer :lol:

17 minutes ago, MrC said:

I notice that JVC now has a X7500 model ... does anyone know what (if any) the difference would be to the X7000?  For a long time I have been contemplating a 4K upgrade path from my X3 .... so still gathering information and trying to convince myself to wait longer :lol:

gaming mode essentially :)

The thing I noticed right away was they seemed to have nailed convergence so image appears sharper and cleaner. Other customers of mine have noted same thing, so something has changed there for the better.

Plus the gaming lag imrprove down from 138ms to around 40ms or just under that.

26 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

The thing I noticed right away was they seemed to have nailed convergence so image appears sharper and cleaner. Other customers of mine have noted same thing, so something has changed there for the better.

Rather amazing if this is true given how good all the reviews have been about PQ from the X7000.

3 hours ago, MrC said:

There is also an HDR mode which is pretty good out of the box - vs tinkering with gamma curves on the older model. 

When I flick on a 4K HDR signal from my Oppo/Panasonic UHD players, the projector goes into High Lamp mode and engages the right BT2020 colour space and gamma. 

ok .... so when it detects a 4K signal, the High Lamp mode is always engaged?  What is the lamp life for High Lamp mode?  Can a user over-ride the High Lamp mode and view the UHD disk in Normal (Low) Lamp mode?

10 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

There is also an HDR mode which is pretty good out of the box - vs tinkering with gamma curves on the older model. 

When I flick on a 4K HDR signal from my Oppo/Panasonic UHD players, the projector goes into High Lamp mode and engages the right BT2020 colour space and gamma. 

So it seems that the X7500 is quite a change/upgrade (not sure if that is the right word here) from the X7000.  How long has the X7500 been available ?

So it seems that the X7500 is quite a change/upgrade (not sure if that is the right word here) from the X7000.  How long has the X7500 been available ?

Over here 2-3 months ago.

You can set the lamp to low if you wanted but with HDR every bit helps. Imho. High is the default.

Just now, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Over here 2-3 months ago.

You can set the lamp to low if you wanted but with HDR every bit helps. Imho. High is the default.

Ok .... understood.

44 minutes ago, MrC said:

the HDR mode on the x7000 is just presets to put in and must want to put these in to suit your screen anyways even if have a x7500. and jvc gives you good ideas on this for your screen size.

the x7500 does preselect hdr... which is a good and bad thing :D when dont want to select it. on the x7000 i just hit the uhd present when want to watch uhds :) and its appropriately setup for HDR and uhd at a push of a button.

regardless whatever anyone tells you, please dont take uhd and HDR being as a plug and play thing. with projectors it isn't. expect to need to optimise it :) even if it is at the least ! 

personally i would have no qualms recommending the x7000 to anyone ... especially if can pick one up at a saving over a x7500. its only minor interitive update. and why its a half model name change.

23 minutes ago, MrC said:

Ok .... understood.

whether you are running on low or high lamp depends on your screen size. and clipping for hdr.

am only running on low lamp myself. but can easily achieve the outputs required for HDR and have optimised it with the RM files. for people with larger screens typical gain screens this might not be the case. I know a few with standard gain screens that run on high lamp.

11 minutes ago, said:

whether you are running on low or high lamp depends on your screen size. and clipping for hdr.

am only running on low lamp myself. but can easily achieve the outputs required for HDR and have optimised it with the RM files. for people with larger screens typical gain screens this might not be the case. I know a few with standard gain screens that run on high lamp.

I have a 115" Stewart cinemascope screen with 1.3 gain in a bat-cave dedicated room.

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

I have a 115" Stewart cinemascope screen with 1.3 gain in a bat-cave dedicated room.

need to basically have the ability to achieve about 30FL for HDR :) so depending on your throw.... I'd suggest you have got a good chance to get away with low lamp :) 

21 minutes ago, said:

personally i would have no qualms recommending the x7000 to anyone ... especially if can pick one up at a saving over a x7500. its only minor interitive update. and why its a half model name change.

Al ... Oztheatre says he thinks the image is an upgrade with the X7500.  Have you seen this?