Fox Sports 1HD 247.0 MHz 9.95 Mbps
Fox Sports 2HD 610.0 MHz 10.80 Mbps
Fox Sports 3HD 239.0 MHz 9.78 Mbps
Fox Sports 4HD 239.0 MHz 7.85 Mbps
Fox Sports 5HD 255.0 MHz 6.92 Mbps
FS News HD 263.0 MHz 6.69 Mbps
Edited by BlueDusk

Thanks Bluedusk.

How are the readings taken - are they an average over a certain timeframe or just an instant (1 second) reading?

Just wondering if we can simply compare your readings with those of Davmel above?

I don't know if it's just me or not but the quality still varies from game to game on the AFL. It could just be the lighting at different grounds. Friday nights game looked really clear and sharp, then the GC v Blues game last night didn't look as good.

Edited by SLE355

I've sampled the sports channels' video bitrates from DVB-C:

ESPN HD 610.0 MHz 4.01 Mbps
ESPN2 HD 610.0 MHz 3.01 Mbps
Eurosport HD 247.0 MHz 6.73 Mbps
FOX FOOTY HD 255.0 MHz 5.22 Mbps
Fox Sports 1HD 247.0 MHz 9.95 Mbps
Fox Sports 2HD 610.0 MHz 10.80 Mbps
Fox Sports 3HD 239.0 MHz 9.78 Mbps
Fox Sports 4HD 239.0 MHz 7.85 Mbps
Fox Sports 5HD 255.0 MHz 6.92 Mbps
FS News HD 263.0 MHz 6.69 Mbps

That's very low for Fox Footy.

Thanks Bluedusk.

How are the readings taken - are they an average over a certain timeframe or just an instant (1 second) reading?

Just wondering if we can simply compare your readings with those of Davmel above?

They're based on a 150 MByte sample of each mux.

Perhaps Fox Footy was having a studio shot or something similarly low-motion at the time of sampling.

Has the Footy always been pretty stable bitrate over the years in your guys experience?

150 megabytes … from a whole mux! At 60 megabits per second on a typical mux, that must be 8 x 3 seconds = 30 seconds or so?

CK.

150 megabytes … from a whole mux! At 60 megabits per second on a typical mux, that must be 8 x 3 seconds = 30 seconds or so?

CK.

Yes, thereabouts. I was manually doing a recording of every DVB-C mux (28 in total), so it took a while. Some muxes were only 64QAM instead of 256QAM though – mostly, the ones carrying the FTA channels, so these had longer sample times. Generally, each FTA network has its own mux with all of its channels on it.

now that foxtel has switched on the new 3 benin sports hd channels can someone give an update to the current sports hd bitrates and current transponders used?

I'd be interested to know as well. The Formula 1 telecast over the weekend was woeful. It got so bad at times that people's faces showed terrible signs of severe compression (as in faces were made up of obvious blocks of pixels) and in overhead shots the trees just turned into green blobs. Even in some shots with relatively little motion you could see parts of the image simply blur up in the same way computer games might access much lower quality mips to keep up a frame rate. And that is on top of the usual plasticine faces and lifeless "2D" image that seems to have pervaded Foxtel in recent years. I'm not exaggerating when I say that a decent HD YouTube video these days looks miles better.

On the other hand, I switched over to a live football telecast an hour or so later on channel 502 and it looked reasonably OK considering what you could reasonably expect from moderately compressed interlaced video.

I too am very interested in the latest bitrates.

We haven't had a new HD transponder for years, not since HD went mainstream and got a load of simulcast channels. Ever since then it's been a cramming of H.264 into the same total bitrate, once or twice improving the encoder quality along the way.

The only exception has been Sky Thoroughbred HD on the vertical. Not even sure if it's on a DVB-S2 or just sharing one of Foxtel's few vertical S1 sticks,

Another tragedy is that Sky News and Sky Business occupy two HD slots while 80% of their content is not HD, including 100% of their field reports that would actually benefit from HD.

Meanwhile, in an irony that most of you won't have missed, we have Fox News and CNN and BBC World News downscaled to SD even though 90% to 99% of their content is HD originated and even available here in HD on scrambled feeds that Foxtel ask to have scrambled.

Even more craziness:

Now Sky News Election channel (pop up channel replacing A-PAC for a few weeks) has gone HD, and it has zero percent HD content; not even the graphics are HD.

In particular all the CBS and ABC USA programming is in SD downscaled from HD and then upscaled again by Foxtel.

Which reminds me —Sky News UK is entirely HD sourced now, but Sky News Australia "HD" just shows a particularly blurry SD version, must be running through a composite cable surely.

Even more craziness:

Now Sky News Election channel (pop up channel replacing A-PAC for a few weeks) has gone HD, and it has zero percent HD content; not even the graphics are HD.

In particular all the CBS and ABC USA programming is in SD downscaled from HD and then upscaled again by Foxtel.

Which reminds me —Sky News UK is entirely HD sourced now, but Sky News Australia "HD" just shows a particularly blurry SD version, must be running through a composite cable surely.

Even more craziness:

That would explain the GT3 Racing from St. Petersberg on CBS over the weekend, I think it was on 203, very different to all the other Sports channels.

That would explain the GT3 Racing from St. Petersberg on CBS over the weekend, I think it was on 203, very different to all the other Sports channels.

Why would that explain it? I said CBS produces in HD, 1080i60 if I remember correctly.

Why would that explain it? I said CBS produces in HD, 1080i60 if I remember correctly.

Because you said it was downscaled then upscaled again. It was bloody awful.

"In particular all the CBS and ABC USA programming is in SD downscaled from HD and then upscaled again by Foxtel."