Samsung 65" Curved 4K Tv Cheap.

Picked one up today, being delivered at end of the week.

Reviews have been ok, but definitely the cheapest 65 inch 4k I've seen (other than Hisense, TCL brands etc).

Heard something about curved TVs not selling as well, but I'm not fussed with curved so all good :)

That's one of their midrange models for this year. Although even the flagship has dropped by about 40% in price from when it launched in April.

Yes a 6 series ; maybe missing a few things like hdmi2.0 w hdcp2.2 as far as I can tell and no 3d capability to drop the price :logik:

Reported somebody got it for $2450 with 5 year warranty not at all bad for 65" 4K TV must have a bit of confidence in reliability don't know the retailer though. ( even if it is a LCD :santa::thumbsup: )

Usually some more price cuts come around for Rugby World Cup time.

What's going on with the television market? Only went to JB But seems like all the cheaper larger screens that weren't 4k are being phased out? Got one of the last 70inch Sony Bravia's for $2k at Christmas but model no longer sold. Samsungs 6400 60inch were around $1300 but also no longer there. I guess Oled and 4k are the future.

Edited by Aj72

The J series 6400 is a UHD model. Price ranges from $2500 to $3000. Have recently purchased one for our conference room at work and so far happy with it. Good PQ, reasonable backlight uniformity but 4K no more than a gimic in my view.

The J series 6400 is a UHD model. Price ranges from $2500 to $3000. Have recently purchased one for our conference room at work and so far happy with it. Good PQ, reasonable backlight uniformity but 4K no more than a gimic in my view.

The simplest way of defining the difference between 4K and UHD is this: 4K is a professional production and cinema standard, while UHD is a consumer display and broadcast standard. To discover how they became so confused, let’s look at the history of the two terms.

The term “4K” originally derives from the Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI), a consortium of motion picture studios that standardized a spec for the production and digital projection of 4K content. In this case, 4K is 4,096 by 2,160, and is exactly four times the previous standard for digital editing and projection (2K, or 2,048 by 1,080). 4K refers to the fact that the horizontal pixel count (4,096) is roughly four thousand. The 4K standard is not just a resolution, either: It also defines how 4K content is encoded.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

What's going on with the television market? Only went to JB But seems like all the cheaper larger screens that weren't 4k are being phased out? Got one of the last 70inch Sony Bravia's for $2k at Christmas but model no longer sold. Samsungs 6400 60inch were around $1300 but also no longer there. I guess Oled and 4k are the future.

The "4K" push by manufactures and lack of any viable 1080 models is clearly contrived to push up the price and profitability of TV's. Brand name 4K sets sell for a much higher price yet cost stuff all extra to make. The fact that "4K" offers nothing useful to most consumers is irrelevant, marketing and profits rules.

Samsungs 6400 60inch were around $1300 but also no longer there.

The 55" 6400's were about $1200 - $1400... the larger models in that same line were more than $1300. Due to the change in the AUD the similar model is now much more...

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/samsung-55-139cm-full-hd-smart-100hz-tv-ua55j6200-dsau-ge5114

Most of the 60"+ are UHD/4K now.

JSmith :ninja:

The "4K" push by manufactures and lack of any viable 1080 models is clearly contrived to push up the price and profitability of TV's. Brand name 4K sets sell for a much higher price yet cost stuff all extra to make. The fact that "4K" offers nothing useful to most consumers is irrelevant, marketing and profits rules.

Whatever the reason, the factories making these would find it much more economical to produce the same res. panels at different sizes...

4K/UHD is here to stay, like it or not.

The 55" 6400's were about $1200 - $1400... the larger models in that same line were more than $1300. Due to the change in the AUD the similar model is now much more...

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/samsung-55-139cm-full-hd-smart-100hz-tv-ua55j6200-dsau-ge5114

Most of the 60"+ are UHD/4K now.

Understood. I was quoting the lowest price seen which was the Boxing Day sales of last year IIRC.

Whatever the reason, the factories making these would find it much more economical to produce the same res. panels at different sizes...

4K/UHD is here to stay, like it or not.

All true mate, but it doesn't make 4K in typical TV size screens any less ridiculous. Its just a number, not useful.

The fundamentals of picture quality are FAR more important, but are obviously to difficult or expensive to provide. Marketing rules and the consumer looses yet again.

Edited by Owen

All true mate, but it doesn't make 4K in typical TV size screens any less ridiculous. Its just a number, not useful.

The fundamentals of picture quality are FAR more important, but are obviously to difficult or expensive to provide. Marketing rules and the consumer looses yet again.

We had years where the dollar was high and you could by top quality 1080P TV's with the retailers making a razor thin margin on them.If you were in the market for one that was probably the best time to buy one.You can't blame the manufactures for coming up with ideas to make there business more profitable though,if they don't then companies go belly up and thousands lose there jobs.The cycle has swung and TV's are now way more expensive than they were but no one is holding a gun to your head making you buy them.I just bought a Sammy JS8000 last week as a second display for mostly daytime viewing because they dropped the price low enough to tempt me.I have no regrets as it is most definitely the best Sammy LCD i've ever owned and has a way superior operating system than there tv's had 2 years ago.It is fair dinkum like lighting when you switch it on any app or input is ready to go.I'm even shocked how good movies look in a dark room with cinema black on,less distracting than the grey glow of my F8500.

So I've had this TV for a few days now, so I thought I'd give my first impressions.

I was in the market for a 65 inch panel, I sit between 2-3m from the TV, so figured 65 inches was about right. Wasn't really fussed about 4k or curved, most viewing is for bluray movies, FTA and Sports and occasionally some PS4.

As has been stated, in the larger screen sizes (65 and above), almost all TV's are 4k now. I had my eye on a Sony 65 FHD model for about $2700, but this special came along for this Samsung 4k model for the same price, so I snapped it up (the sale only lasted the weekend, back to $4300 again).

My initial impressions are mixed. Netflix 4k and Blu-ray are excellent as to be expected, but SD (FTA and Foxtel) is a let down. Its probably about 10-15% worse than my previous 55 inch Hisense FHD model. Still tweaking the settings, so fingers crossed I can get an improvement. Not sure if the degradation is due to the increase in size, or the scaling of the TV?

Anyway, still happy with the purchase. As I said Blu-ray and 4k are excellent. But if you mainly watch SD FTA, I'd think twice about this TV.

Its probably about 10-15% worse than my previous 55 inch Hisense FHD model. Still tweaking the settings, so fingers crossed I can get an improvement. Not sure if the degradation is due to the increase in size, or the scaling of the TV?

Given the 35% increase in viewing area, 10% to 15% worse subjective PQ is possibly not a bad trade off?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

But if you mainly watch SD FTA, I'd think twice about this TV.

Yes sd is horrible but that's not the tv's fault it's the broadcasters.Any image processing that you apply to try and make it look better is going to ruin the image of good quality content so if your like me you will just avoid it at all costs.The only sd content i'm really forced to watch is horse racing and yes it looks bloody awful.In the US they do horse racing in FHD and the difference is unbelievable. Moral of the story is if you live in Australia you pay more than the US for your TV and the content you watch on it and the quality of the broadcasts are lower than probably Kazakhstan or Tajikistan.

Given the 35% increase in viewing area, 10% to 15% worse subjective PQ is possibly not a bad trade off?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Yeh fair call.

It's not terrible, was just hoping it would be at least as good as my previous TV, which was a no name FHD model.

Trying a few different settings but am watching more and more Netflix now to view HD and 4k content.

SBS HD? I accept my standard definition is just that standard. As long as when I'm watching movies (bluray) there is a huge difference to standard I wont complain. Compare the picture of SBS HD (channel 30) to seven news or sunrise to see what things should look like.

Edited by Aj72