9 Tv Points

apologies for resurrecting this topic but as it usually happens with renovations, the house was just powered yesterday, just couple of months later than offered. I am ready to call a TV technician to the house. The existing antenna cable has been splitted to 9 outlets. As expected nil reception. So before I get to the phone - how would I be able to ensure that the tech is going to deliver the 'right' signal strenght at each of the 9 points in the house?. Do I have to test a TV at each point (one point at a time) after he's done? or do I need to have the 9 TVs simultaneously connected? (I only got 5 TVs so this is not really achievable as I was going to add TVs later and only one TV is in the house at the moment as I haven't moved in as yet!). I would hate to pay $$ just to find out in 2-3 months that I ony got 3-4 points working. Any advice how to tackle this problem?. As experience would tell, once you depart with your hard earned, you would have a hard time getting the tech back to check a job that wasn't done properly. BTW any recommendations for a reputable tech that can deliver the desired outcome? address is in Camberwell 3124

If you are in a reasonable signal strength area you should have tv reception on all or some channels by bypassing the splitter and connecting the cable from the antenna to the cable of the nearest point, join the cable with a barrel f type cable joiner.If you have no pictures at all with the right antenna in the right direction there must be something basically wrong and you will need a tech with a meter to sort it all out. You wont need a tv at all the outlets to test. The tech will be able to test signal strength and quality at all the 9 outlets without any tv's at all and be able to tell if all is good.It doesn't matter how many tv's are running the signal is split to the output levels once the splitter setup is installed.Ask the tech for the signal strength and quality measurements for each outlet, he should be happy to do that for you on a installation that size, after all he should be doing that anyway.

cheers Tazzy

• 1 month later...

1. First acceptable signal quality must be achieved at the antenna. There is no need for a second antenna for purpose of spreading the load.

2. Signal needs to be amplified to make up for losses of splitting and all the points.

3. Your cabling, the way the cabling is installed and terminated is important.

- Do not use combined amplifier/splitters