Sign in to follow this  

Jurassic World.............

Can't wait for the video store release next week. Hope the PQ and sound is as good as San Andreas.

It's a shame this movie lacked any real story or substance.

It's also a shame Hollywood continues to focus on non-realistic CGI instead of making movies properly.

JSmith :ninja:

It's also a shame Hollywood continues to focus on non-realistic CGI instead of making movies properly.

Very so-so for me. I'll buy it for the young fella as he loves his dinosaurs.

You are right of course, they should have nuked the D......'s long ago. :lol:

C.M

Edited by Tweet

Bought the 3D Blu-ray and halfway through swapped over to the 2D one and preferred it.

CGI is leaps and bounds ahead of what it used to be. For example, in Life of Pi it is impossible to tell which scenes are of actual footage of the tiger and which are CGI versions of the tiger.

Of course if the subject matter of the movie includes animals that do not exist in today's world, there is little alternative to CGI. Constructing animated models of animals is expensive, and the results will tend not to look realistic.

Bought the 3D Blu-ray and halfway through swapped over to the 2D one and preferred it.

What elements of the 3D didn't work for you?

CGI is leaps and bounds ahead of what it used to be.

True... but they still need to much work on gravity and convincing the viewer that the CGI object is actually there with the actor.

You'll find many comments online about this film in particular in relation to CGI usage and realism...

The way it seemed to blur things in the background to make the foreground appear to be in 3D in certain scenes.

True... but they still need to much work on gravity

Forgive the pun but I thought the CGI in Gravity (2013) grossly exaggerated the tumbling of Sandra Bullock in space. I suspect though that the director may have encouraged or at least approved that exaggeration "for dramatic effect".

As matters stand, CGI animation/effects cost many millions of dollars and many hundreds of hours in computer time. It will be more demanding when 4k becomes the norm for the digital intermediate.

It is not econonomically feasible to achieve perfection in all CGI in 2015. Going back a decade, I found the CGI in Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) poor during scenes involving the beast moving quickly. Presumably the computer processing grunt was insufficient at the time. And there are quibbles with Jackson's much more recently released Hobbit trilogy though much of the CGI was first rate, e.g. the depiction of the dragon, Smaug.

If you go back several decades in movie making, the depiction of monsters (and certain other special effect scenes) was far from realistic and viewers had to suspend disbelief, despite obvious imperfections.

In my opinion, we currently can see the most ambitious, and nearest to realistic CGI, that has ever been produced in feature movies. (I would note that Terminator 2 (1991) was ahead of its time for CGI and very convincing, though not as ambitious as some of today's CGI offerings.)

The way it seemed to blur things in the background to make the foreground appear to be in 3D in certain scenes.

I noticed blurring and mentioned it earlier in this thread. It's interesting you report the 2D version was indeed less blurred.

I saw this on the weekend. Shot in 2D. Converted to 3D. Conversion very competent. No apparent glitches I noticed.

Resolution

I see that the digital intermediate was pretty standard at 2K (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369610/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec ) but the 3D theatrical version looked to me more like 720p than 1080p at the suburban cinema I attended. There really was not a lot of sharpness. There appeared to be a great deal of use of blur for parts of the frame not intended to be "focussed" on. This blur appeared to me to have been added. I don't know whether the 2D theatrical version would exhibit as much blur in the backround part of the frame when the action of interest is occurring in the foreground. Perhaps this movie will be remastered (and the CGI reworked?) at some time in the future to 4k. It certainly had a very ordinary apparent resolution in the theatrical version I saw.

Personally, I'd still prefer to watch the 3D version, but I'd certainly agree there was a lot of blurring in it – more than is commonly used in a 3D movie to guide viewers' eyes to the part of the scene considered to be of interest.

Edited by MLXXX

JB have the 3D version for $29 does any others B & M shops beat that ?

I haven't been buying movies lately because of streaming, but no 3D streams yet.

$29 is a good price AFAIC. I had a quick peek at my JB copy today and the 3D looks very nice to me. Quite bright and no cross-talk apparent at the point I viewed :)

JB have the 3D version for $29 does any others B & M shops beat that ?

I haven't been buying movies lately because of streaming, but no 3D streams yet.

BigW has Jurassic World 3D for sale for $28.

This may be so but in store at Big W Burleigh Heads the price is $28. Their online store should get on the same page!!

online = rural and regional are are always gouged as second class citizens.

This may be so but in store at Big W Burleigh Heads the price is $28. Their online store should get on the same page!!

Online versions of B & M stores are often quite different in operation and stock... it's nothing to do with any affront towards rural customers or the like.

Quite often it is reversed and the online price is cheaper than instore...

Rural customers that get the same postage charges as city dwellers are actually getting a better deal and are basically subsidised by city customers.

Online versions of B & M stores are often quite different in operation and stock... it's nothing to do with any affront towards rural customers or the like.

Quite often it is reversed and the online price is cheaper than instore...

Rural customers that get the same postage charges as city dwellers are actually getting a better deal and are basically subsidised by city customers.

The cost of operation is far less for online retailers, the online price should always be parity or less.

As for postage, most online retailers charge for delivery and this is usually pegged to geographic location. Those that don't, obviously do so for strategic reasons and/or have negotiated favorable rates with AusPost that enable them to do so.

It is true that Australia Post charge a flat rate for letter post to all Australian destinations (as in most other civilized countries) and there are many reason for this (some of which are mandated by legislation) but this is not true for Parcel Post ... To describe this as city people subsidizing the country is misinformed and quite small minded (really).

Edited by Mr Robot

The cost of operation is far less for online retailers, the online price should always be parity or less.

Hency why I said "Quite often it is reversed and the online price is cheaper than instore..." :rolleyes:

Should? How about you let private businesses run the way they want to... we're not talking about a charity or Govt. service here. :P

To describe this as city people subsidising the country is misinformed.

C'mon... the city subsidises the country all over the place, get real. :lol:

Back OT;

awKePo1_700b.jpg

Don't bother... it's cr@p and not worth owning @ $28+.

Thanks, I guess a negative contribution still counts ... Not so sure it's is actually informed by viewing the Blu Ray the thread is about though.

Have you seen it on Blu Ray Smithy? which version did you watch, 2D or 3D?

Not so sure it's is actually informed by viewing the Blu Ray the thread is about though.

This makes no sense... what are you on about? :wacko:

be2wpbE.jpg