Need low profile centre speaker and a/v receiver - what to do?

I've been looking for a modest setup and have had good previous experience with Krix and Denon products.

I was going to grab either a Denon AVR790 or AVR890 and mate it to a set of Krix speakers comprising either of bookshelves all round or just at the rear, but needed to demo first.

Acoustix (Front & Rear)

Graphix

Seismix 3

or

Phoenix Floorstanding

Graphix

Equinox Bookshelf Rears

However I have a space issue with my existing entertainment unit which I'm not in a position to replace. Poor choice that I am stuck with now. The issue is the opening of my component shelf is ~168mm high. There is an additional ~30mm above that once you get past the opening so there is some space for an airgap but not a device bigger than 165mm really. AV Receivers seem to start around 170mm. I know my old Marantz SR-something had massive feet, not sure if these can be removed or how much space it would afford me.

But any decent centre speaker appears to be ~175mm or greater also. Width is not an issue as I have just under 2m to play with. The speaker couldn't go infront of the TV without blocking it. Putting the TV on top is probably too heavy (~50-60kg - 50" plasma with sep stand) plus would raise the TV too much I think. And making some sort of bracket to hold the speaker above the TV would have it too high.

Now I was looking to spend about $3500 so not sure I can accommodate a decent pre-amp with multiple power amps that would fit in the space.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I can do here? Where and what to start looking at?

Even I you find something to squeeze in there mate you might need to put a fan in as the amp will get hot in there.

Yeah I'd already considered that. I can fix some large slow moving fans to the rear to get the airflow going through fairly easily so that was the least of my issues.

I though I was stating the obvious! can never be too sure.

Yeah I know, thanks :)

Prior to moving out of dads, I was very comfortable with a Marantz 5.1 AV Receiver connected to Krix Lyrix Gold, Centrix, KDX rears and a Seismix 7. It was a little under powered for the floorstanders but sounded great to me and did get quite warm under load.

I've since found an AV Reciever that would fit in the space and budget - Onkyo TX-SR577 but never had any experience with the brand personally. I found another thread for the Krix Tryptix which also work with the space I have but finding somewhere to demo together seems rather hard.

I'd much prefer a nice set of floorstanders though. Might fire off an e-mail to Krix and see if they can offer a suggestion to work within my space requirements.

Interesting, missed that one! but 50w is a bit low and still $1000. Probably better off getting a good power amp that will last, the Rotel RMB-1565 is only 10cm high so that'd work nicely but no idea where to start for a pre-amp.

50 matts is heaps if you get some speakers at 90+db at 1w, 95 or 96db would be even better. Klipsch? dont stress to much about that. if you want a processor, try

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=86

one of the guys on sna was looking at one not long. if you do some digging you migh be able to ask if he has received it yet. Specs look the part

50 matts is heaps if you get some speakers at 90+db at 1w, 95 or 96db would be even better. Klipsch? dont stress to much about that. if you want a processor, try

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=86

one of the guys on sna was looking at one not long. if you do some digging you migh be able to ask if he has received it yet. Specs look the part

Are you talking about the sensativity? All the Krix stuff I was looking at was "89dB for 2.83 volts at 1 metre" but ranging from 4-8ohm depending on the speaker.

Yeah it does look impressive but my google searches show a lot of people playing with new firmwares etc, I want a plug and play unit, I don't time to be tinkering with another toy in the lounge!

correct, sensativity.

Fair point with the tinkering. I dont mind soldering but cant stand firmware upgrades. If they did it right the first time you shouldnt need one. There should be other models of a similar thing.

Any one else with an idea?

correct, sensativity.

So if I went with the Krix, what power rating would I need to adequately drive them? For example the Tryptix are a perfect fit but sensitivity is "88dB for 2.83 volts at 1 metre" and they're 4ohm. I can't find any info on that slimline Marantz you mentioned other than 7x50w. But a power figure alone is useless without knowing what they're rating them against?

If someone could suggest a good pre-amp then I'd likely go that way and increase the budget slightly.

its 50w at 8ohm. 88db should be ok.

How big is the room?

Ah ok. It's 4.5m long, 4m wide, 10ft ceiling with solid timber floor over a slab.

I had a response back from Krix who also suggested the Tryptix but mentioned their centre speakers were capable of taking the weight of the plasma with ease. Raising the TV from its current height by ~180mm isn't a huge issue.

Krix make some nice stuff. You can always bi amp the front speakers later on if you decide you need some more grunt. If this is the way your thinking you need to check the model krix your looking at and make sure it has dual binding posts on the back

Krix make some nice stuff. You can always bi amp the front speakers later on if you decide you need some more grunt. If this is the way your thinking you need to check the model krix your looking at and make sure it has dual binding posts on the back

Nah the Tryptix are push type connections and a review mentioned not being able to fit the regular large gauge cable. They're also a bit power hungry so the slimline Marantz might not be a great idea.

Only issue is finding something to use as a pre amp since most processors are aimed at the high end market and any AV Reciever with outputs for a power amp isn't going to fit.