Sign in to follow this  
Peterpack

Projecting Smaller Image Than Screen Size?

Sorry for the questions guys, i am going to buy my screen tommorrow so just need a bit more info

I am tossing up between 110 inch and 120 inch

my viewing distance can be changed easily between 3.4 and 3.8 metres

i am thinking of getting the 120 inch and if i do find it too big, i can just project a little bit smaller

Is this ok to do ?

or is it not the done thing ?

thanks and again, sorry for all the questions

If you've got a light coloured wall, just project on that for a few weeks, or paint a section equivalent to a 120" screen (you don't need fancy paint, white is fine). What seems large at first can often seem a little small once you get used to it.

At the end of the day, there's no real down side to projecting an image smaller than your screen other than getting a little more reflected light and very slightly reduced contrast than if you had the right sized screen (and this is only really relevant if you have dark painted walls).

I'm assuming you've used a calculator to make sure you can vary the image size to suit your throw distance. If not, what's your projector and the intended distance from the mount to the screen?

Hi Quark

YEs i have checked out some calculators, i have a BEnq W1070

I know there is a range of distances you can install the projector for a certain screen size. I figure installing it on the slightly lower end of this range will give me the option of projecting a smaller image if i wish to do so.

does that sound right ?

I'd go the bigger screen. A 120" 16:9 screen is about 1450mm high and you will get used to that really quickly.

Hi Quark

YEs i have checked out some calculators, i have a BEnq W1070

I know there is a range of distances you can install the projector for a certain screen size. I figure installing it on the slightly lower end of this range will give me the option of projecting a smaller image if i wish to do so.

does that sound right ?

Sounds fine. :)

I'd go the bigger screen. A 120" 16:9 screen is about 1450mm high and you will get used to that really quickly.

I must admit my personal preference is to go for the bigger screen, but preferences can vary.

thanks guys, i did do a test project onto a wall this morning and yes the 120 inch size looks great !

how big can you got at 3.8 meter before you cant really see all the screen. you don't want to be moving your head around like in at tennis.

mixo

I must admit my personal preference is to go for the bigger screen, but preferences can vary.

Of course it depends on what you are watching. A good HD source and I want to sit at 2x the image height. 4K for sure! SD? Nuh, you would want to be at least 3x back from that.

how big can you got at 3.8 meter before you cant really see all the screen. you don't want to be moving your head around like in at tennis.

mixo

Your eyes naturally track left and right all day, everyday. This is why CinemaScope works. The issue of a screen being too big happens when we attempt IMAX in the home. Once you are looking up and down constantly, it takes some of the fun out of it and you get tired. Most IMAX films were short (running times) for that very reason. It is fatiguing tracking vertically for long periods of time. Notice even in the hybrid Scope/IMAX films like TDK, they only have short IMAX sequences and the majority of the film is Scope.