2D To 3D Conversion Projectors (Any Point Buying 3D Discs)

Howdy all,

With a few projectors able to convert 2D to 3D format, is there any need to buy actually buy blu-ray 3D movie discs?

I have tried a couple of 2D blu-ray movies (just part scenes from Avatar and Pearl Harbor) and used the conversion to 3D and it looks reasonable good.

So I'm thinking why bother with the extra costs of a 3D disc where I can just buy the 2D and convert it.

Now I don't have a 3D movie discs at the moment to compare, but I'm sort of gathering an actual 3D disc is probably going to better (or is it?).

Or is using the conversion on the projector going to 'wear' the projector quicker with this method.

I'd say 2D to 3D conversion is a gimmick, very ordinary, no depth at all, looks like cardboard cut outs or something.

Real 3D films like Avatar are a huge step up in quality. So if you like 3D then you're in for a real treat!

This site is cool, lists all the real 3D films vs those that are done in post production which they call 'fake 3d'.

http://www.realorfake3d.com/ And there is a big difference there too. Post production 3D films are very ordinary

but are a step up from 2D to 3D conversion aswell.

As they say on their site "If you only have one-eye's worth of content, you can't just make up the content for the second eye."

Yeah, well I was thinking the 'true' 3D discs would somehow be better, but wasn't sure as I don't have a 3D disc to compare at this stage.

That is a great link also - thank you - and very true to their quote.

(also, on a side note, I am waiting to receive a ceiling bracket next week and then will post 'findings' of the tw8200 (and maybe in the review section - from an amateur point of view anyway) - but so far (with it on a table) it looks great with v/good blacks and excellent quality image IMO and without any calibration yet.)

Yeah, well I was thinking the 'true' 3D discs would somehow be better, but wasn't sure as I don't have a 3D disc to compare at this stage.

That is a great link also - thank you - and very true to their quote.

(also, on a side note, I am waiting to receive a ceiling bracket next week and then will post 'findings' of the tw8200 (and maybe in the review section - from an amateur point of view anyway) - but so far (with it on a table) it looks great with v/good blacks and excellent quality image IMO and without any calibration yet.)

Yes a 3d disc is always best ; there is also good 2d..>3d conversion and so so ; mitsubishi uses better interpolation for example ;

Enjoy your favourite classic films like never before with the HC8000D's built-in 2D-3D conversion feature. Unlike other simpler 2D-3D conversion methods where the entire screen is shifted to produce the 3D effect, the HC8000D uses motion-vector analysis technology for more accurate 3D conversion. Using this technology, the position of a person or object is distinguished from the background, then a moderate parralax is added to produce a natural sensation of depth.

Then theres algorithms that get upgrades like power dvd on a pc that Ive read nice things about . If you want the best conversion though a professional terranex 3d is the go as seen here -

Of course there are ways around the hdcp protocol if you dont want it that complicated :pirate: The technology of the terranex was developed by Lockheed Martin aerospace for the US military so it has had 10's of millions poured into it .. I dont mind the 2d/3d conversion on my epson 9000 but I know theres better ; not to mention stream networks glasses free tech for panels that is just around the corner ^_^

Edited by cwt

Howdy all,

With a few projectors able to convert 2D to 3D format, is there any need to buy actually buy blu-ray 3D movie discs?

Absolutely. The 3D from a 3D Blu-ray is far superior. On the fly simulation by a Blu-ray player, projector, or TV, is very ordinary in comparison. It's probably not unfair to describe it as a "gimmick", as oztheatre has described it. If you apppreciate 3D you really should get the 3D version of the 3D movie. Built-in 3D simulators have a very, very long way to go before they could achieve anything like the quality of a 3D Blu-ray disc.

Professional off-line frame by frame 3D simulation can be excellent, e.g. as done for James Cameron's Titanic 3D [2012], but for a feature length movie this process takes thousands of man hours (including manual painting in of necessary 3D detail), and costs in the millions of dollars. Post production 3D has come a long way in quality compared with the early relatively crude efforts such as Alice in Wonderland 3D [2010], or the horribly converted Clash of the Titans 3D [2010].

3D players are cheap these days and many of the 3D titles are only a little more expensive than the 2D versions. (Of course you may need a reasonably modern AVR to pass frame packed 3D Blu-ray video.)

Or is using the conversion on the projector going to 'wear' the projector quicker with this method.

It shouldn't make a difference, I'd say. The projector will likely display frame-packed 3D at the same rate as its internally generated simulated 3D.

Mind you not all home projectors are equal as regards 3D. Many operate with an alternation rate of only 120Hz, which is significantly slower for human eyes than the 144Hz of a RealD public cinema. Some people (including me) find 3D at an alternation rate of only 120Hz a little hard to watch, and public cinema 3D noticeably smoother.

So if you invest in a 3D player and disks you may still find the 3D effect a little wanting, depending on the model projector you have, the size of your screen, and your sensitivity to the left right alternation rate.

Edited by MLXXX

How about ziss glasses free technologeee from Francois.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uef17zOCDb8

Blinking light years ahead of anyone else :blink:

Beam me up Scotty lol :rofl:

Doobie; try to avoid any 3d discs from Germany ; you definitely need a good director who knows how to frame a shot [ foreground and background] :pinch: . Usually if the conversion from the master tape is done with care I like this site to give a good idea of what to expect on the disc ;

http://www.cinemablend.com/3d/

How about ziss glasses free technologeee from Francois.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uef17zOCDb8

Blinking light years ahead of anyone else :blink:

That is so freaking weird looking - I'd be laughing too much watching at the person next to me with high speed eye lid blinking that I would be able to watch the movie !!

Absolutely. The 3D from a 3D Blu-ray is far superior. On the fly simulation by a Blu-ray player, projector, or TV, is very ordinary in comparison. It's probably not unfair to describe it as a "gimmick", as oztheatre has described it. If you apppreciate 3D you really should get the 3D version of the 3D movie. Built-in 3D simulators have a very, very long way to go before they could achieve anything like the quality of a 3D Blu-ray disc.

Professional off-line frame by frame 3D simulation can be excellent, e.g. as done for James Cameron's Titanic 3D [2012], but for a feature length movie this process takes thousands of man hours (including manual painting in of necessary 3D detail), and costs in the millions of dollars. Post production 3D has come a long way in quality compared with the early relatively crude efforts such as Alice in Wonderland 3D [2010], or the horribly converted Clash of the Titans 3D [2010].

3D players are cheap these days and many of the 3D titles are only a little more expensive than the 2D versions. (Of course you may need a reasonably modern AVR to pass frame packed 3D Blu-ray video.)

It shouldn't make a difference, I'd say. The projector will likely display frame-packed 3D at the same rate as its internally generated simulated 3D.

Mind you not all home projectors are equal as regards 3D. Many operate with an alternation rate of only 120Hz, which is significantly slower for human eyes than the 144Hz of a RealD public cinema. Some people (including me) find 3D at an alternation rate of only 120Hz a little hard to watch, and public cinema 3D noticeably smoother.

So if you invest in a 3D player and disks you may still find the 3D effect a little wanting, depending on the model projector you have, the size of your screen, and your sensitivity to the left right alternation rate.

Yes I suppose they are a bit of a gimmick, but I reckon they have a bit of a purpose for those times you may download e.g. a documentary of landscapes or wildlife etc where converting the doco 'may' give it a little more depth/enjoyment.

I do need to also get a 3D player (without too many bells and whistles) and seen for around $120-$170 'ish. And my AVR should be ok.

(Epson TW8200, fixed 120" screen).

Beam me up Scotty lol :rofl:

Doobie; try to avoid any 3d discs from Germany ; you definitely need a good director who knows how to frame a shot [ foreground and background] :pinch: . Usually if the conversion from the master tape is done with care I like this site to give a good idea of what to expect on the disc ;

http://www.cinemablend.com/3d/

A good tip and have saved the link - thanks

Yes I suppose they are a bit of a gimmick, but I reckon they have a bit of a purpose for those times you may download e.g. a documentary of landscapes or wildlife etc where converting the doco 'may' give it a little more depth/enjoyment.

Agreed.

(Epson TW8200, fixed 120" screen)

A decent projector. Probably a 120Hz Left Right alternation rate with 24fps 3D Blu-ray input. If higher than that, the manufacturer would likely have actually quoted the 3D alternation rate in the specs.

• 2 weeks later...