Fs Paradigm Studio Cc590 Piano Black

Prestige is the new line. It marketed as in between the Studio's and Signatures. A Completely new design with aluminium drivers and tweeter with phase plug. They claimed to improve off axis response and low end. Moved to a 2.5 way design and avoiding crossing over in the critical voice midrange.

I personally don't like the look of them in the photos, I find the drivers a bit much. They might look nicer in person I guess and at the end of the day it's how the sound. Back to a standard box shape and what looks like the same base as the tributes. The finishes are new and include the ruby garnet introduced in the tribute range. All made in Canada and hand polished.

Initial reports on release at CES seem to be mixed with some saying they still preferred the studios. I'd like to have a listen myself as with the move to a metal driver they will certainly have a different signature. Anyone who auditions the studios against the signatures will notice the beryllium tweeter of the sigs have more range but are more metallic/shrill or however you perceive it. Beryllium tweeters are generally known to avoid this problem when run off axis so this is probably why the new prestige claim the same.

All things a side the 15-20% price rise compounded with the increased price of the range will make it less affordable. I'd be more inclined to pay the bit extra for a pair of signatures unless the prestige were really good. Then again I hear the signatures are going to be replaced in about 12 months so it might be better to wait to see what's coming.

• 4 weeks later...