Are There Any Fully Made Aussie Screens

Seems to be plenty of screens on offer now, but are they just made in China and/or assembled here, with the usual Australian made false advertising

Been trying to find this out without much luck, and would be interested to know if there is such a thing as a fully Australian made product.

Not sure what Australian made means in this context. Unless you're talking about some AV enthusiast that sells home made screens a few times a month, then any company that develops a screen will find that they can have it manufactured in China for a small cost. If you're asking why can't I but the same screen for four times the cost, then you probably have your answer :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

There are no Australian screen makers using anything from china, I know this for fact. There are five Australian screen manufacturers here in Australia.

There's a few different terms regarding this and it's often confusing for consumers.

“Product of Australia” means all the significant ingredients must originate here, and almost all the manufacturing or processing must be done in Australia.

“Made in Australia”, “Australian Made” and “Manufactured in Australia” claims mean the product must be substantially “transformed” in Australia – it must have undergone a fundamental change in form, appearance or nature, such that the product existing after the change is new and different from the product beforehand – with at least 50% of production costs incurred here.

It's a really big problem with food though.

AUSTRALIAN-MADE

The term ‘Australian made’ or ‘made in Australia’ is possibly the most loaded of them all. ‘Australian made’ doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an Australian product. Under consumer law, ‘Australian made’ means the product was made here and that at least 50 per cent of the cost to produce it was incurred in Australia. Yeah, that’s a little confusing.

Essentially, it means the product had to have been manufactured here (not just packaged) but the raw materials don’t have to have originated in Australia. One of the most glaring examples where you’re probably not getting what you expect is bacon. ‘Australian made’ bacon can actually be from imported pigs but it still qualifies as ‘Australian made’ as long as the pig was carved up and smoked in Australia. The Australian pork industry body estimated 70 per cent of bacon and ham sold in Australia originated from imported pigs.

I know Screen Technics manufacture in Australia ... who are the other 4?

None of them use materials from China? I figured that would be where most source their screen material from.

No, they're all out of Europe and america. I have all these materials in catalogues sent from European suppliers over the years.

We tried some grey vinyl from china many years ago but it was total garbage so I avoid china like the plague.

I know Screen Technics manufacture in Australia ... who are the other 4?

None of them use materials from China? I figured that would be where most source their screen material from.

How about LP Morgan? I know they are "made" in Melbourne, but not sure where they source the materials from?

• 2 weeks later...

There is no such thing as a 100% Australian made and manufactured screen?

I'd suggest they are all Australian Assembled ... Claiming they are Manufactured here is a tad misleading.

I think the Govt us getting ready to crack down on the language for such things.

Edited by AV Forum Mod

The threads not about Holdens mate, and why is it strange?

I see from your signature some of the reason but I asked the question simply on the basis of trying to gather information, or is that not the done thing.

Yes OZ, it's those three terms you quote that many feel are misleading and if I think it was mentioned in parliament the other day that there needs to be a review of the terms ..l I think it was par to the discussion about the hepatitus A berry discussion where similar claims were made on the packaging,

Edit: p.s. It's not strange at all, people have been talking and posting about the confusion and misrepresentation of "australian" products for a long time ... Just someone asked about screens here.

Edited by Will Graham

It wasn't an opinion, it was a bogus statement from someone who does not understand what he or she is talking about. Then it was explained in full with facts not opinions.

Not a bogus statement at all, several inquiries I have made from Big Picture to Harvey Norman have stated fully Australain made.

Not a bogus statement at all, several inquiries I have made from Big Picture to Harvey Norman have stated fully Australain made.

I think maybe you should re-read your posts again.

You seem to have a beef with what constitutes "Australian made" however that has nothing to do with the projector screen market and everything to do with the Government. Maybe yo should go and have a rant to your local member.

Seems to be plenty of screens on offer now, but are they just made in China and/or assembled here, with the usual Australian made false advertising

Are they all of poor quality? ... otherwise what is the problem?

JSmith :ninja:

Reply to Yorac (My apologies, I couldn't work out how to quote what you said).

You too seem to have a beef with what constitutes Australian Made. It was clearly explained at the start of the thread. If you don't like how the government manages what is considered "Australian Made", you should take it up with them instead of having a go at the people that explained it.

It sounds like you want everybody that makes goods in Australia to follow "your" interpretation of what "Australian Made" is and not what the government defines as "Australian Made".

Go and chase up you local member and petition them to take the change proposal to parliament.

Australian manufactures (or parts being put together) are just following the rules. You should direct your anger at those that make the rules instead of those that follow them.

Edited by bucket23

Reply to Yorac (My apologies, I couldn't work out how to quote what you said).

You too seem to have a beef with what constitutes Australian Made. It was clearly explained at the start of the thread. If you don't like how the government manages what is considered "Australian Made", you should take it up with them instead of having a go at the people that explained it.

It sounds like you want everybody that makes goods in Australia to follow "your" interpretation of what "Australian Made" is and not what the government defines as "Australian Made".

Go and chase up you local member and petition them to take the change proposal to parliament.

Australian manufactures (or parts being put together) are just following the rules. You should direct your anger at those that make the rules instead of those that follow them.

It's not just yorac and tafcay,

There's been a fairly constant stream of complaints about the wording for sometime now ... Pretty sure the government knows about it as it keeps making noises about tightening up on what's what .. Pretty sure I even heard Mr Abbot make some comment about it.

Its bloody obvious our labeling laws have not served us well and never met the public's understanding and expectations of what "Australian made" means. Why this has been allowed to continue for so damn long is a mystery but it really needs to be fixed if Australian as a nation is to benefit.

Plenty of us want to support local products, but as it stands its just not possible to know what proportion of a product is Australian and how much is imported. That should never have been permitted, it should be clearly stated so there is NO confusion.

Hey Abbott, get it fixed, do something useful in your tenure while you can, before you get lynched by your own or the voting public.