Projector Calibration

So ive bought Chromapure, and charged off into my first calibration of my projector.

First stage is to set the brightness.

Mount the Chromapure pattern ISO, and turn brightness to 100% on projector.

Now I should be able to see these bars called "below black", but I cant.

Chromapure support says I need to set the HDMI space to "Enhanced"

Did this...no difference besides the screen appearing a little more washed out.

So im running chropmapure on a laptop, with the laptop hooked into my amp which set the projector as my second screen. I then mount the pattern ISO in Power DVD and play the patterns.

Am I wasting my time using the laptop, is this just not the way this is done, which explains why the below black bars cant be seen. Is the laptops graphics card not outputting a true image......

Interestingly as well, if I leave the HDMI as "enhanced" and watch a move, its still washed out, and I need to turn it back to "normal"

Any advice would be appreciated, don't want to waste any more time on the wrong track here.

Thnx

I don't use the CP in built patterns, I did try them but prefer to use the AVSHD 709 disc available for free DL as it has everything needed as well as a chromapure section (HDMV version).

I didn't think CP had the pluge patterns built in (only the test patterns) and you needed to set your brightness and contrast using the pluge patterns found elsewhere eg,Disney WOW,dvd essentials and avshd.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

Have you had a read thru here? very helpful for the first couple of goes.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Edited by wheelz

Yea, it has built in patterns, but for brightness and a few others you need a pattern disk.

I might try the AVSHD disk then.

<EDIT> Got the ACSHD disk, and it used the same brightness pluge pattern as the chromapure disk. Still cant see any "below black" bars.....aaarrgghh!!!!

So, am I wasting my time doing this through the laptop, thats my real concern?

Especially when ill be calibrating with the laptop, then switching back to XBMC.

BTW, that guide is exactly the one I am following, but if I cant get past the brightness test, im dead in the water.

Edited by Uthall

I found it easier using my own disc altho the automation of the in built also worked fine which I did use on one of my panels .

Not sure what pj your using but my brightness and contrast are more around the 40 mark than 100, turn it right down and you should start to see them.

PS. What meter are you?

Edited by wheelz

JVC X500

I can see the above blacks no drama, but the below blacks don't show at any brightness level. Its so washed out at 100% it actually look grey. Worse when I set HDMI to enhanced.

Following that guide anyway it says start with brightness at 100% and work down. Haven't got to any other contrast setting at that point.

I might need to run the disk through a blue ray player instead of the laptop, im thinking the laptop is messing with the output somehow.?

<EDIT> Got the ACSHD disk, and it used the same brightness pluge pattern as the chromapure disk. Still cant see any "below black" bars.....aaarrgghh!!!!

Ah didn't realise you had the CP disc, thought you were talking about the pattern built in to the CP software.

Your amp probably does not pass pluge.

Yep, sounds like the receiver is clipping the below blacks ... Check its settings to make sure it is set to through and/or enhanced as well.

It may also pay to check the output settings on your laptop ... But the "washing out" effect sounds like it's sending the below black info and it's being clipped elsewhere in the chain.

It might also be the PJ settings, so double check they are set to enhanced/full.

Edited by Will Graham

Sorry about the quick reply with no info yesterday. What make and model is your amp (unless I miss read somewhere)? For instance I know the Yamaha RX-V1800 series receivers did not pass pluge but the next model line did (replacement was RX-V1900) so around 2007-08?

Just do a google search with your amp model and "pass pluge" in the same search to find out which should give you an answer. I had the same initial problem with my DVDO iScan Duo and thought it was a HDMI cable but ended up being (for me atleast) a simple Video or PC setting that I had selected!

With your amp though (if pre 2009) it generally would either pass pluge or not! Easiest is to plug directly into the PJ to find out and if you're still not seeing the below black then it's a setting in your laptop...Or HDMI cable but highly unlikely!

I wouldn't recommend using a PC as your calibration source - there are too many variables involved to get a reliable reference output. Things like video card version, driver version, OS version, playback software, enhancements all make it difficult to know what you are outputting.

Get a DVD/Blu-Ray and turn off any enhancements it may offer - chances are that this will be much closer to reference output than the PC

I would:

1. Connect directly to PJ and adjust PJ settings until you get correct results for brightness & contrast - Make sure you turn off any PJ enhancements

2. Now connect player through receiver and verify nothing has changed - if it has, then go through the settings in the receiver, turning off enhancements and experimenting until correct picture is restored

3. Begin your calibration - good luck I am sure you will spend many hours learning, and hopefully you can get a good result.

4. Once happy with calibration, verify that your XBMC looks correct - not sure if you can use the same test patterns as you would with a PC

Alternatively purchase a Lumagen mini - this makes the process much easier and would probably deliver better results.

Have a look at the Display calibration thread at AVS - very good information here.

Hope that helps,

John

Your X500 clips below black and above white unless set to correct HDMI setting in it's menu which is why they suggested to put it to Enhanced. Also, you don't actually want to see the below black bars on any test disc. They are just there to make it easier for you to set black level. You want to set brightness so black is as black as your projector can go, while still being able to see just above black detail. I'm not familiar with the chromapure patterns but i expect they have a low apl pluge pattern on there to allow you to do this. If not the other discs mentioned should have what you need....and yes, a Lumagen would make it all much simpler and would give you superior results...but at a cost.