Sign in to follow this  
doobie1

Are Factory Seconds For Projectors Any Good?

As some of you maybe aware, I'm still in the hunt for my first projector.

I have seen some factory seconds from epson on some good projectors and are of course lower priced due to either having been repaired, scuff marks etc (but none actually say what the actual individual reason is).

They only come with 6 months warranty.

But, are factory seconds a gamble? Has anyone purchased these and regretted it? (Although each would be an individual case).

Or is it better to hang for brand new for longer warranty and probably more reliability over time.

Thanks.

I wouldn't touch a refurb with only a six month warranty. Projectors are complex and much more likely to have issues than other AV equipment. Epson, in particular, have more than their fair share of quality control issues.

If cost is important, see if you can get a low hour demo model from a dealer - it should still have full warranty. Otherwise save for a new projector.

I agree with Quark.

Over the years I have bought some fantastic second hand items, but when it comes to projectors and amplifiers for the HT, new is the way to go AFAIC.

Bought an Epson factory refurb, failed after 1 year, Epson came to the party and fixed FOC, you still have consumer law on your side.

Edited by new-user

Bought an Epson factory refurb, failed after 1 year, Epson came to the party and fixed FOC, you still have consumer law on your side.

That's a good story. Nice to hear that they came to the party :)

hmm i just got a benq w1070 refurb with 12 month warranty from benq aust. the warranty use to be 90days.. but all you guys need to understand that consumer law means the warranty time offered by sellers is rubbish.. the manufacturers warranty is ADDITIONAL to what you already have... so matey 6months.. 90 days.. 12 months, it does not matter and that is why epson fixed the pj with that 6 month warrany after 1 year

soory but all the knowledge about which, what, where projectors on this site and seems few know the laws that protect your purchase... so buy what you like and not worry too much. note: price and condition do effect the consumer warranty but if you buy from a good retailer (especially direct from manufacturer) you should not have a worry.. i never have :-)