What Good $1500 Lcd Projector, Blacks, Low Noise, 4.5M Throw Etc

Don't want much I know but this is what I need for a beginner.

I have a budget of $1,500'ish.

Room is a dark room day and night and measures 4m x 5.3 with fixed raised seating at 4.5m and a ceiling installed projector straight above the seating (@ 4.5m).

Screen is 120cm (280cm W x 120cm H) and therefore the projector apparently should / preferably have a motorised zoom (so can be changed from 2.35:1 to 16.9).

Projector has to be an LCD (with good blacks and sharpness/contrast).

Mainly watching movies/3D and AFL (but will need to put a set top box for the TV side of things)

Wireless does not matter nor in-built speakers and will have HDMI connection.

See, don't want much, but any constructive advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I have reviewed some projectors and a little overwhelmed with it all but hoping also some may give their experiences with good and bad etc.

Thanks, Geoff.

Edited by doobie1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BenQ probably at that price will win the fight. DLP though. Not sure if you'll hit an LCD up.

Thanks Jutta. The reason I need an LCD is to make sure my wife will not suffer from headaches etc from the spinning wheel (as she has epilepsy all controled by drugs, but still do not want to take any chance on a DLP).

Look at at second hand options. Keep an eye on private seller listings. Keep an eye on JVC-x35 ,Epson 9200,pana8000.

Thanks Jamo8 for the projector suggestions.

I know I will struggle to get a new projector for my budget that is as good as the more expensive models (and considering what my needs are).

I could buy a number of projectors around the $1,500 mark but just don't want to be disappointed with it (e.g. I wish the blacks were blacker and not greyish or scenes are not as clear etc.).

Just wish the previous owner had left his projector, what ever one is was, and then I wouldn't has this trouble !

But will keep an eye out for those second hand models - which again is a gamble I suppose with not knowing if it has any issues.

(Just wish I was rich ).

Thanks again as this all helps.

There's the epson TW5200 which retails for 1149, online for around 1000

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=epson%20tw5200

yeah had seen that one and there are few confli cting reviews but is a nice price range for me.

What puts me off is that it seems more for gamers and movie goers second due to low black levels and apparently contrast could be better.

The good is price, light weit,lower dB.

Whether it can do 2.35.1 or throw 4.5m, I don't know.

But keep 'em coming ☺

Just checked, wont work, only 1.2 zoom.

maybe just as well for this one as I was iffy on it with the reviews!

and they have stupidly loud fan.

yeah I put low dB above going on what the specs where against some other louder ones, but it does seem that is loud anyway!

Well I checked and found a second hand pana 8000 with little use (like jamo8 suggested) for $1500 including everything ( 3D glasses, cables etc. and even the screen which I wouldn't need).

But wife says no to second hand !! arrgghh

So back to finding 'new' - think I will have 'put up with' something obviously not so perfect (blacks not so black, noisy fan etc)

damn!!

surely there is an LCD that will be ok.

I have a $350 credit/voucher from Harvey Norman, so even if an LCD was about $1800-2000 then I can put voucher towards it (was hoping to use voucher towards 3D glasses/mount with HN, but......beggars....).

I have searched and searched but each time the unit is either too expensive, or discontinued or doesn't throw my required 4.5m etc..... I keep hitting brick walls (and it is starting to hurt!!)

At this stage now, I am willing just to buy anything LCD with a throw of 4.5m for a very dark room (day and night).

I found the lack of zoom on the 5200 wouldn't work for me as it only gave me about a 14 inch range I could place the pj in so thats why I ended up with the 2nd hand EMP-TW700 for $305 off ebay. I know its not the best but got me started and now I look forward to the day I can upgrade to a 9200 or even the new LS10000 laser pj but its a long way off.

Aze

I found the lack of zoom on the 5200 wouldn't work for me as it only gave me about a 14 inch range I could place the pj in so thats why I ended up with the 2nd hand EMP-TW700 for $305 off ebay. I know its not the best but got me started and now I look forward to the day I can upgrade to a 9200 or even the new LS10000 laser pj but its a long way off.

Aze

cheers Aze, yeah the E 5200 won't be any good for me either as it won't throw 4.5m.

apparent any pj with a 1.2 zoom won't be any good either.

still looking for a pj that combines 4.5m throw and better zoom for the 120" screen.

Good luck to the day you can upgrade - each is closer to that day

Well I checked and found a second hand pana 8000 with little use (like jamo8 suggested) for $1500 including everything ( 3D glasses, cables etc. and even the screen which I wouldn't need).

But wife says no to second hand !! arrgghh

So back to finding 'new' - think I will have 'put up with' something obviously not so perfect (blacks not so black, noisy fan etc)

This seems to be the best bet if you can talk the lady round would tick most of the boxes.

This seems to be the best bet if you can talk the lady round would tick most of the boxes.

yep looked like the one but she won't for fear of spending those $$ and it plays up before too long (which I understand) but feel as the pj is not that old, good brand etc. it would be ok.

Plus I would need to drive to Bendigo (from Adelaide) to see/test first.

So if anyone wants it, it is advertised on gumtree (unless already sold).

Don't want much I know but this is what I need for a beginner.

I have a budget of $1,500'ish.

Room is a dark room day and night and measures 4m x 5.3 with fixed raised seating at 4.5m and a ceiling installed projector straight above the seating (@ 4.5m).

Screen is 120cm (280cm W x 120cm H) and therefore the projector apparently should / preferably have a motorised zoom (so can be changed from 2.35:1 to 16.9).

Projector has to be an LCD (with good blacks and sharpness/contrast).

Mainly watching movies/3D and AFL (but will need to put a set top box for the TV side of things)

Wireless does not matter nor in-built speakers and will have HDMI connection.

See, don't want much, but any constructive advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I have reviewed some projectors and a little overwhelmed with it all but hoping also some may give their experiences with good and bad etc.

Thanks, Geoff.

ok, a little has changed to the above, so what about these.

Epson tw 6600 (brand new $2248 from selby) ..... or

Epson tw 9100 ($2,300 "floor stock" from harvey norman - not sure of hour usage or warranty at this stage).

Thanks for thoughts.

The TW9100 has been superseded for a long time - expect this will be on its second or third lamp (hours are reset at each lamp change). I'd avoid that one - will have mega hours up.

Try a phone call to TCC and ask what price they're doing for DTV members on the TW6600.

The TW9100 has been superseded for a long time - expect this will be on its second or third lamp (hours are reset at each lamp change). I'd avoid that one - will have mega hours up.

Try a phone call to TCC and ask what price they're doing for DTV members on the TW6600.

mmm, good thoughts about the 9100 Quark - best stay clear.

And will contact TCC to see what they can do. Think they would match / beat the price anyway, but didn't know they may offer a discount for DTV members.

The specs for the 6600 show a throw distance upto 4.8 metres on a 100" screen and optical zoom of 1-1.6.

So would a 120" screen be ok for this doing 16.9 and 2.35.1 at 4.5m distance with the 6600?

I'd go at least 120" at that seating distance. You can always try projecting on a wall or sheet for a few weeks while you finalise on screen size. What looks large at first can start to look small after a short while...

I'd go at least 120" at that seating distance. You can always try projecting on a wall or sheet for a few weeks while you finalise on screen size. What looks large at first can start to look small after a short while...

sorry, I should have phrased that better.

I already have a fixed 120" screen on the wall, but as I'm not too familiar with the projector throw calculators, I'm hoping for a little reassurance that the 6600's with be ok at projecting from a 4.5m distance (as the epson specs above, state 4.8m which I presume is maximum).

As well as the 1-1.6 optical zoom being ok along with the 16.9 and 2.35.1 being ok too.

(Sorry, but I'm so new to the projector side of things, I just want to make sure from more experienced users that it will all be ok and not buy a wrong pj).

Thanks again for helping.

The scope screen will be a right royal PITA with any projector without lens memory and/or the expense of an anamorphic lens (plus a projector that supports the lens, which is another story). The best thing you can do is replace it with a cheap 16:9 screen. See below for the reasons.

Your current screen has the width of ~127" 16:9 screen and the height of ~96" 16:9 screen. When using the zoom method (i.e. no anamorphic lens) on a scope screen, your projector is always projecting a 16:9 image, it's just with a scope movie the black bars above and below the image spill out onto the wall. If the movie is in 16:9 format, you get the equivalent of ~96" 16:9 image with your current screen. If it's in scope format, it's the equivalent of ~127" 16:9 screen with your screen. To switch between aspect ratios, you'll need to climb up on a small ladder to zoom the lens to suit. When working out throw distances, you need to ensure that the projector can fill the screen at your throw distance (i.e. projector lens to screen horizontal distance) at for both ~127" and ~96" 16:9 equivalent screen sizes. Note, whenever you zoom, the focus may need to be tweaked too.

If you're prepared to climb a ladder for every switch of aspect ratios, the TW6600 will be OK with scope movies on your current screen, but could be marginal getting 16:9 material to shrink down to fit the height of the screen - an exact measurement from the mount to the screen wall would help clarify that.

Thanks again for some info Quark.

The 120" screen is actually 280cm W x 120cm H (110" W x 47" H) but I presume the 127" and (6" mentioned above is what a 16.9 movie format would be displayed at?

The exact measurement from lens to screen should be 4.5m.

I wouldn' need a ladder as pj would be directly above seating which is also on a raised floor, so should be able stand up to change.

The screen being the size it is hopefully would be ok for the 2.35.1 format? with the 6600?