Sign in to follow this  
doobie1

Screen Size/scope 16:9 - 2.35:1 Question

G'day everyone - just a question about the above on a screen we have.

purchased a new house with a screen diagonal size of 120", but seems widish to other images I've seen (but probably is ok, I'm just new at all this).

Total width is 280cm and height is 120cm.

It seems quite wide when seeing others a little more square (well they seem to be in the images).

It has black velvet surround and a slight grey colour screen (don't know about gain?).

But the main question is, will movies of 16:9 be ok or will the be cropped?

And what is 2.35:1 - should this be something I need to look for in a projector (I don't have a projector yet, that will be another post).

Seating will be 4.5m from screen and a projector will be attached to ceiling directly above seating.

thanks for any explaination/help.

You have a scope screen which is 2.35:1 ratio. I would definitely be getting a projector with motorized zoom so you can easily change between 16:9 and 2.35:1 formats. When watching 16:9 format, you will have black bars on either side of the picture.

You have a scope screen which is 2.35:1 ratio. I would definitely be getting a projector with motorized zoom so you can easily change between 16:9 and 2.35:1 formats. When watching 16:9 format, you will have black bars on either side of the picture.

Yep, and a 120inch Scope screen at that.

120inches at 4.5metres is fine, but, if convenient to your floor plan, you could afford to sit closer.

I sit 3.7 metres from my 130" screen, and would probably pull the couch even a bit further forward if SWMBO would let me. :no:

You will need either the Panasonic 8000, any of the 3 JVC X series or the Sony 500ES 4K which is pretty pricey.

The pana is the cheapest option and can be had online for under 3K.

120 scope should be ok for most throws but what is the room length? better to sure

thanks SLE355 for explaining that and what occurs - I have seen mentioned the motorised zoom (cost of my budget for a projector is the concern - see reply further down).

Edited by doobie1

Yep, and a 120inch Scope screen at that.

120inches at 4.5metres is fine, but, if convenient to your floor plan, you could afford to sit closer.

I sit 3.7 metres from my 130" screen, and would probably pull the couch even a bit further forward if SWMBO would let me. :no:

Good to know 4.5m is fine but cannot move seating as raised 4 x electronic chairs.

You will need either the Panasonic 8000, any of the 3 JVC X series or the Sony 500ES 4K which is pretty pricey.

The pana is the cheapest option and can be had online for under 3K.

120 scope should be ok for most throws but what is the room length? better to sure[/quote

Room size is 5.3m x 4m (seating and projector at 4.5m) and a very good darkened room day and night).

Now this where my problem starts with buying a projector.

I would dearly love to spend $2K + but at this stage I can not afford it - so must start with some basics and hopefully build up a few years down the track.

I'm looking at spending about $1,500, and yes that is an ask for a good projector.

Needs to be LCD, a throw of 4.5m, quieter fan/noise and now motorised zoom.

But I should probably start a new post with a new heading on this.

Edited by doobie1

If you can tower your projector at the back of the room behind the chairs then you can manually zoom the PJ in and out to fill the scope screen.

That would open up your choices to virtually any model. I like tower mounting projectors, you can get to them easy enough to clean filters, change lamps etc. not for everyone of course.

If you can tower your projector at the back of the room behind the chairs then you can manually zoom the PJ in and out to fill the scope screen.

That would open up your choices to virtually any model. I like tower mounting projectors, you can get to them easy enough to clean filters, change lamps etc. not for everyone of course.

That does sound positive, but unfortunately there is no room between back of chairs and the wall behind.

I'm unfortunately stuck with a ceiling mount and ca not bring it forward without cutting further holes for cable/power (as I then need to fix the old holes which I'm not handy at - and don't really want to add extra costs to do so).

Thanks for the good suggestion though.

That does sound positive, but unfortunately there is no room between back of chairs and the wall behind.

I'm unfortunately stuck with a ceiling mount and ca not bring it forward without cutting further holes for cable/power (as I then need to fix the old holes which I'm not handy at - and don't really want to add extra costs to do so).

Thanks for the good suggestion though.

Even a shelf will do the job. As long as you can get to the PJ without too much hassle to adjust the zoom/focus/shift. Doing that manually generally takes less than 30 seconds.

Even a shelf will do the job. As long as you can get to the PJ without too much hassle to adjust the zoom/focus/shift. Doing that manually generally takes less than 30 seconds.

yes fair enough and I can see that doing so would enable me to manually adjust zoom. But at this stage I would like to see what people may suggest as a unit through their experiences.

If no solution for my room requirements, then yes I may have adjust the installment position (reluctantly).

I have put up another post of my room size etc in hope of suggestions.

Thanks.

Most of the movies are scope so you should be fine, for 16:9 movies image height will be bigger so some portion of the picture will project on the black bars and wall, i used this way for a almost a year. I am sure you will be fine for the occasional 16:5 movies. Or use a pc to play the media files and crop the image. If you are happy with the option you can go with any projector, i was using a epson tw6000 with a 133" scope screen. I mostly play from my htpc using plex app, i tried vlc and crop image a couple of times for 16:9 but i after i never bothered to do that, just use plex always. Then i changed the screen to. 120" 16:9 for ease of use.

Now i have changed to a jvc x55 which has motorized zoom and change the screen to a 130" scope screen

Other option is to change the screen and get a 16:9 screen

My room size and seating/mounting positions are same as yours

Hope this helps.

Sorry double post

Edited by Sub25

Most of the movies are scope so you should be fine, for 16:9 movies image height will be bigger so some portion of the picture will project on the black bars and wall, i used this way for a almost a year. I am sure you will be fine for the occasional 16:5 movies. Or use a pc to play the media files and crop the image. If you are happy with the option you can go with any projector, i was using a epson tw6000 with a 133" scope screen. I mostly play from my htpc using plex app, i tried vlc and crop image a couple of times for 16:9 but i after i never bothered to do that, just use plex always. Then i changed the screen to. 120" 16:9 for ease of use.

Now i have changed to a jvc x55 which has motorized zoom and change the screen to a 130" scope screen

Other option is to change the screen and get a 16:9 screen

My room size and seating/mounting positions are same as yours

Hope this helps.

It certainly does help Sub25.

That has given me a bit info on your experience that will help me not to worry too much about doing something wrong.

So I will explore those options you have tried but I feel I will be doing the same as what you did - putting up with it for the time being.

A new screen will work as you say, but the previous owner has stuck the black surround velvet to the wall, so to change a screen will create additional work/problems.

All good to keep in mind for down the track though.

Thanks again for your input.

A 16:9 screen will be taller in size, so it will cover most part of the scope screen, what i mean is if the existing screens mounting screws are not in the corner then you dont need to worry as the new screen will cover those parts. Some people paint only the surroundings of the screen not the entire wall, which is what you need to worry about and check before doing anything

1. Check the whole wall is painted not just the surrounds of screen

2. Check where is the existing mounting screws, if its not in the corner no need to worry

I wouldnt recommend changing the screen unless you get a 16:9 screen at dirt cheap else you will better off putting that money towards a panasonic/jvc projector. Check gumtree and dtv regularly wait for a pana or jvc projector to turn up, they do turn up once in a while, get a cheap used projector( benq, epson, mitsubishi) for the meantime. Even some of the dtv pricing for benq nd epson are a great buy and within your budget, if you are going with the option to change the screen then get a sony 40es and never look back.

A 16:9 screen will be taller in size, so it will cover most part of the scope screen, what i mean is if the existing screens mounting screws are not in the corner then you dont need to worry as the new screen will cover those parts. Some people paint only the surroundings of the screen not the entire wall, which is what you need to worry about and check before doing anything

1. Check the whole wall is painted not just the surrounds of screen

2. Check where is the existing mounting screws, if its not in the corner no need to worry

I wouldnt recommend changing the screen unless you get a 16:9 screen at dirt cheap else you will better off putting that money towards a panasonic/jvc projector. Check gumtree and dtv regularly wait for a pana or jvc projector to turn up, they do turn up once in a while, get a cheap used projector( benq, epson, mitsubishi) for the meantime. Even some of the dtv pricing for benq nd epson are a great buy and within your budget, if you are going with the option to change the screen then get a sony 40es and never look back.

Thanks again for your input - much appreciated.

yes it may have to be a second hand one for me and I will keep an eye out from your suggestions.

I don't really want to change the screen, even though they maybe had cheaply, as that is just extra dollars on top of everything.

As long as the projector can do 2.35:1 for my screen dimensions I should be ok (hopefully).

I also need to watch for and get an LCD model due to my wife's situation.

So looks like I need to wait until a 'better' model comes up for sale as second hand (and hope it is ok).

(Bit of a bummer though, as one gets a little excited about getting a new toy shortly and then looks like having to wait).

Maybe I'll become miserable around the house and the wife may say just go get a better one

Thanks again for your input - much appreciated.

yes it may have to be a second hand one for me and I will keep an eye out from your suggestions.

I don't really want to change the screen, even though they maybe had cheaply, as that is just extra dollars on top of everything.
As long as the projector can do 2.35:1 for my screen dimensions I should be ok (hopefully).

I also need to watch for and get an LCD model due to my wife's situation.

So looks like I need to wait until a 'better' model comes up for sale as second hand (and hope it is ok).
(Bit of a bummer though, as one gets a little excited about getting a new toy shortly and then looks like having to wait).
Maybe I'll become miserable around the house and the wife may say just go get a better one

I have similar room size and set up as you have described. I currentlly have zoomed the projector to the scope screen size ie image overspills top and bottom and leave it set up like this all the time as I mainly watch movies. When I watch 16:9 material (mainly FTA TV) I can adjust the aspect ratio on the projector can electronically to the correct display ratio and have black bar on both sides, only issue is that the image resolution is not 1920x1080.

The other option I have set up from when I had an anamorphic lens was to mount curtins on either side of the screen and manually crop the screen back to the 16:9 ratio. If you follow the link in my signature below you can see various images of the room.

If you are tight on budget this might be the best option, get some cheap black fabric or curtins to trim the screen and project at 16:9 all the time. This will give you a screen size of around 95 inchs.

If you follow the link to the oztheatre web site on anamorphic lens you can see the 16:9 screen, scope movies on this size screen (black bars top and bottom) and then the full scope screen image assuming the size the same height screen.

You mentioned that projector has to be LCD, assuming that DLP colour wheel effect is the issue?. The JVC and high end Sony use LCOS is that also an issue?

Thanks mttel for your info.

I see what you mean from your images and curtains etc.

My screen edges goes right up to the sides of baffles that the previous owner put in (which are angled, so putting rail/curtains there will be a bit of a hassle - so not too worried about doing that.

Yes, the DLP issue (besides the 'might see the rainbow effect') could possibly cause issues to my wife's condition, so I must get and LCD to be safe®. The LCOS I am unsure if there would any issue.

(also, the fact that a 3D movie could also cause an issue is also possible and really won't know until tried).