Isf Calibration Basics

I had my BenQ PE8720 calibrated by a Pro, it made a huge difference.

When I upgraded to JVC HD550 the picture out of the box was perfectly acceptable.

I own CalMan software and a calibrated colorimeter. Complete waste of time and money. Just get a Pro to do it.

hi mate, who did you call for the calibration? how much was it? i was thinking of calling someone to calibrate mine properly. cheers

• 1 year later...

8 minutes ago, CAVX said:

Yeah wow, I don't think there is anyone up  that way and a long way to go for a single calibration job.  

TV or projector?

Yeah, I've got a JVC X7000. I've done the JVC Auto-Cal but I'm not kidding myself that it couldn't be improved upon with a proper manual one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2017 at 9:10 AM, Satanica said:

Yeah, I've got a JVC X7000. I've done the JVC Auto-Cal but I'm not kidding myself that it couldn't be improved upon with a proper manual one.

If I can get at least one more job up in Darwin lined up, I might just have to jump on a plane.  A friend in Darwin just bought himself and Panna OLED TV and really wants it calibrated.  

• Like 1

Anybody else tried using the 10,000 nit test pattern from the Diversified Video Solutions UHD/HDR-10 Test disc?

http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_uhdhdr-10.html

I've tried it twice now, [I have it as MP4 files on a USB Flash drive] and both times when it's been plugged into my Panasonic UB4000 disc player, it's played for a few moments, then the disc player and Panasonic TV have both decided to reset / shut down, in a sort of mutual self preservation mode.

It's the Disc player that craps itself first.

@dreamz well considering your in Melbourne, call mike from Avical (google it) he’s coming up to Canberra on Friday to do 3 tv’s at my place, nice guy and does good work. 

• 8 months later...
Anybody else tried using the 10,000 nit test pattern from the Diversified Video Solutions UHD/HDR-10 Test disc?
http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_uhdhdr-10.html

I've tried it twice now, [i have it as MP4 files on a USB Flash drive] and both times when it's been plugged into my Panasonic UB4000 disc player, it's played for a few moments, then the disc player and Panasonic TV have both decided to reset / shut down, in a sort of mutual self preservation mode.

It's the Disc player that craps itself first.
I use these patterns all the time and have never seen a system crap out.

If the contrast is too high, then you get white crush.

On 04/12/2017 at 10:44 PM, Guest Sime said:

@dreamz well considering your in Melbourne, call mike from Avical (google it) he’s coming up to Canberra on Friday to do 3 tv’s at my place, nice guy and does good work. 

Had him round to do my ph and TV last week.

Can recommend him

• Like 1

On 01/09/2018 at 11:33 AM, CAVX said:

I use these patterns all the time and have never seen a system crap out.

If the contrast is too high, then you get white crush.

I don't mean the test patterns as a whole, they work fine.

I just meant the 10,000 nit brightness test pattern......I just tried it out of curiosity, knowing full well there is no display of any kind on the planet that can reproduce it.

I just meant the 10,000 nit brightness test pattern......I just tried it out of curiosity, knowing full well there is no display of any kind on the planet that can reproduce it.
I have never had a system crap out using that pattern (#3 of white clipping). If there is an issue, the pattern just displays as crushed whites.

14 hours ago, Tweaky said:

You are correct, at this point in time, there is no display that can produce 10,000nits.  

All displays should be able to show the flashing grey bars right out to 10000 if the contrast is not pushed too high.  The white in the pattern is limited to the capabilities of the display.  Being a full white, most modern displays typically reproduce it at about 300nits for flat panels.  The only projector I have seen that did this pattern  over 100nits (measured 126nits) was the BenQ W1700.  

37 minutes ago, CAVX said:

You are correct, at this point in time, there is no display that can produce 10,000nits.  

All displays should be able to show the flashing grey bars right out to 10000 if the contrast is not pushed too high.  The white in the pattern is limited to the capabilities of the display.  Being a full white, most modern displays typically reproduce it at about 300nits for flat panels.  The only projector I have seen that did this pattern  over 100nits (measured 126nits) was the BenQ W1700.  

definitely 10,000 is some crazy output ! 

ps @CAVX it probably depends on screen size, but with my jvc x7000 I can achieve 100nits + easily on low lamp ! :)

• Like 1

definitely 10,000 is some crazy output ! 

ps [mention=118624]CAVX[/mention] it probably depends on screen size, but with my jvc x7000 I can achieve 100nits + easily on low lamp ! [emoji4]
Yes definitely screen size dependent. Nits is based on candella squared or the number of candles it takes to produce x amount of light over a meter by a meter of screen surface.

The bigger the screen, the dimmer it gets.

Some day, I will get a JVC.

I've got the test patterns mounted on a USB stick, plugged into a Panasonic UB400 4K disc player.

All test patterns work fine except the 10K Nit one, on the two occasions I have 'attempted' to use it, the disc players fans have started to go into overdrive and it has hesitated, for want of a better word, before deciding 'Nope' I not going to play that back, then shuts itself down.....it only happens with that test pattern.

Maybe it's a HDMI handshaking issue with the Panasonic TV, where the TV detects that it's trying to be sent a too hot a signal and tells the Panasonic disc player it won't except it....???

I haven't tried it in months, and those 4K test patterns I have on that USB stick have had at least 3 updates since I used them last, and the disc player has had software updates as well, so I might try again with the updated patterns......but as it's not a needed test I'm in no hurry.

On 09/09/2018 at 12:45 PM, Tweaky said:

I've got the test patterns mounted on a USB stick, plugged into a Panasonic UB400 4K disc player.

All test patterns work fine except the 10K Nit one, on the two occasions I have 'attempted' to use it, the disc players fans have started to go into overdrive and it has hesitated, for want of a better word, before deciding 'Nope' I not going to play that back, then shuts itself down.....it only happens with that test pattern.

Maybe it's a HDMI handshaking issue with the Panasonic TV, where the TV detects that it's trying to be sent a too hot a signal and tells the Panasonic disc player it won't except it....???

I haven't tried it in months, and those 4K test patterns I have on that USB stick have had at least 3 updates since I used them last, and the disc player has had software updates as well, so I might try again with the updated patterns......but as it's not a needed test I'm in no hurry.

I have used those patterns on every UHD display I have calibrated and never seen that happen.  And I have used the Panny 300, 400 and 900 as source.  The 300 doesn't doesn't display over 1000nits, so it just white.  The 400 and 900 can do out 4000 nits.  

On 09/09/2018 at 12:45 PM, Tweaky said:

i havent had the pana for a while tweaky but i remember using the patterns with it off usb as well on the player. so yeah maybe a clash otherwise ? 

On 09/09/2018 at 10:58 AM, CAVX said:

Yes definitely screen size dependent. Nits is based on candella squared or the number of candles it takes to produce x amount of light over a meter by a meter of screen surface.

The bigger the screen, the dimmer it gets.

Some day, I will get a JVC.

just thinking also screen gain related....as some run those 2.8 gain HP screens :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know Poppybob, but Rec709 was telling me this week that an OLED (4K) could have a 1080P and a 4K setting, to get the best out of HDR10.

I have no idea whether the difference is significant or not at this stage. I haven't ad my set professionally calibrated.