First Projector - Need Advice On Screen Size

Hi all. I need some advice from the projector experts here.

We have just bought a new home and it's larger than our old place, so I'm converting the rumpus room into a dedicated HT room. The room is pretty much 5.1m x 5.0, so the mounting position of the projector/throw is very flexible, but what confuses the crap out of me is what fixed screen size to go for. The projector I have bought is the Sony HW40ES. We will be seated around the full width of the room (5m) from the seating/viewing position to the screen. I want a 16:9 aspect ratio screen.

I would have thought that at a 5m viewing distance I could accomodate a 140" screen or perhaps even a little larger, so that is what I had planned. I spoke to a few people on other forums, and most agreed that 140" was perfectly reasonable at 5m back, without distortion, screen door effect etc.

The issue is that when I spoke to the dealer I'm getting my gear through, he considered 140" too large for a 5m viewing distance and recommended 120". This kind of flies in the face of the general advice I've been getting.

I want as large a screen as I can accomodate without picture quality degredation (screen door effect etc) and without it being too much work on the eyes if it's too large and the eyes have to do a lot of work to move around the screen. That said, I want as much of the "big screen feel" as I can get out of the system. I have a 75" Samsung LCD a the moment and believe overall that bigger is better, even at the cost of a little PQ here and there. My worst nightmare is to get a 120" screen in and then wish it was 140" or 150" after 30 minutes watching a film.

What I am asking is, in general terms, who else is a little under 5m back (around 15.5 feet or so) and what screen size do you have at that distance, how do you find it, would you go bigger/smaller given the option. Also happy to hear from any others who have had experience with this type of setup.

Regards

If you're eyes are 5 metres from the screen then 140 is perfectly fine with a Sony. They have the best pixel gap in the industry along with JVC.

130-150 is very commong at 5 metres viewing distance.

I think installers play is safe somewhat and why 120 was recommended.

I'm 5.2 mtrs away from a 120" screen and it's a good size, however I fell that I could have gone a 130 or 140" screen and it would have been fine. For me my ceiling height and centre speaker placement were the reason I went for the 120". Mine are 2.5mtr and with the 120" the bottom of the screen is approx 70cm from the floor with my centre speaker just underneath at about 68 cm.

What height are your ceilings and what front stage are you planning on using?

Ceiling heights are plain old 2.4m. My front stage will simply be a low-standing unit to hold the receiver, BR and a couple of consoles. You make an interesting point actually, the size of the cabinet might limit the screen size because my centre speaker also sits atop the unit.

I'm starting to think that the only way to determine this is to toss out all the science and hang a couple of screen-sized sheets when we move in to suss it out.

Provided you've got good light control in the room, 140" is fine.

I sit 4m from a 130" scope screen (for scope movies this is about the same as a 135" 16:9 screen). I'd sit closer, but the seating distance is a compromise with Mrs Q.

Can you project on the wall for a few days? Note, what seems large at first tends to look small rather quickly. :)

Ceiling heights are plain old 2.4m. My front stage will simply be a low-standing unit to hold the receiver, BR and a couple of consoles. You make an interesting point actually, the size of the cabinet might limit the screen size because my centre speaker also sits atop the unit.

I'm starting to think that the only way to determine this is to toss out all the science and hang a couple of screen-sized sheets when we move in to suss it out.

Good idea with the sheets - it really helps on deciding it all. Actually, I believe I still have my white calico material and some black border tape that I used to determine my screen size, if you PM me your address I'd be happy to send it down to you :)

Provided you've got good light control in the room, 140" is fine.

I sit 4m from a 130" scope screen (for scope movies this is about the same as a 135" 16:9 screen). I'd sit closer, but the seating distance is a compromise with Mrs Q.

Can you project on the wall for a few days? Note, what seems large at first tends to look small rather quickly. :)

Projecting onto the wall is an awesome idea. I'll be receiving it a week or two ahead of time.

Good idea with the sheets - it really helps on deciding it all. Actually, I believe I still have my white calico material and some black border tape that I used to determine my screen size, if you PM me your address I'd be happy to send it down to you :)

Bassmaniac I've sent you a PM. Thanks so much for the offer, reminds me of what a fantastic community we have here ! These will be invaluable !!

I went to big to start with but lucky i built my screen cheap, 120" was to big for my sitting distance so i dropped down to 110", if you can put a sheet up or something temp and watch a movie for a bit with different screen sizes ie adjusting it before forking out, ive found everyone has different ideas of whats perfect to them its best just to see what your happy with not what old mate at the shop thinks at the end of the day hes not there watching it you are

As far as sound goes, you'd want to be seated at least 1 meter off the back wall so your distance would be closer to 4 meters. 140" would be perfect but you may have the same issue i did with your gear under the screen and standard height ceilings, that size screen may be up very close to the roof. A scope screen around the 130-140" mark may fit better.

I use a 110" at about 3.4m so 120" sounds really small at 5m. Our lounge is 5.5m from the screen and i could fit 160" on that wall if I put a PJ in there, so for me 140-150" would be a minimum but as others have said it also comes down to personal preference. Give the calico/sheet a go and watch a few movies to get used to it and see how you like it. I was using the 110" at 4.5m at the old house and liked it but love it at 3.4m :yes:

Aze

I run a 100" screen after stepping up from a 92", and my best mate runs a 150", from a distance of around 3.7-4 metres which is absolutely spectacular. You really get very involved and feel a part of what your watching. May not be optimal with regards to thx specifications but personal taste is often the best decider.