Hc4000 "fuzzy" Image With Ps4 On 1080/60

HI All

I know this is an old projector now, but recently I moved and I had the opportunity to set up the projector.

I am running the projector via an amp, which controls the signal from the bluray player and the PS4

The HDMI cable that connects the amp to the projector is 10m long, and I am pretty sure it was 1.4 compliant

First, I ran the Fury bluray through the bluray player and the problem I encounted was the video has lots of red 'noise' dots (fuzz?) all over the picture and the contrast is way off. I assume it was a fault with the Fury bluray disc (I dont know the region of the disc and I didnt check the information output of the projector) so I loaded up Guardians of the Galaxy and the picture was perfect.

Next I decided I wanted to check out the PS4 - and bam - the same issue - this red noise fuzz all over the image. I couldnt find any settings in the projector to fix it (and nothing in troubleshooting about it, and wasnt sure how to google this problem) but the information was telling me it was running in 1920x1080 with vertical refresh of 59.94 (and if I remember correctly the horizontal refresh was 74.XX)

I started mucking around with the PS4 picture settings but nothing would 'clean' up the image and make it look 'normal' unless I dropped the resolution from 1080p to 1080i or 720p. In 1080i mode, the projector information tells me the signal is still 1920x1080 but with a vertical refresh of 29.97.

Interestingly, if i keep the PS4 outputting at 1080p but pop in the Guardians of the Galaxy disc, the image goes back to being 'clean' and the projector reports a vertical refresh of 24 (I think, i dont think it was 29.97)

So it seems there is an issue with the 60hz refresh?

However (and bare in mind its been 4 years since ive used this projector) I used to run my PS3 through this projector in 1080p mode I dont remember ever having this issue (and I remember playing 60hz games with no issues, although there is a good chance the the PS3 would have autoswitch to the game native resolution of 720p instead of upscaling to 1080p, so I may have 'rose tinted' glasses on)

Any advice, thoughts?

Movies shot on film and transferred to blu-ray will almost always have a frame rate of 24. TV shows and other material shot on video is different frame rate.

When you force 60Hz frames rates on film based material it's not a multiple of 24 and you'll get all sorts of artefacts as the hardware adds frames, including judder. How many artefacts depends on the processing power of whatever is doing the higher frame rate, but you always get some issues.

Your player and projector should default to the correct frame rate for the material, but cheap players and or poorly authored discs (without the correct flags) can cause issues. Is the Fury disc a legit blu-ray, or a rip / dodgy copy?

Edited by Quark

Movies shot on film and transferred to blu-ray will almost always have a frame rate of 24. TV shows and other material shot on video is different frame rate.

When you force 60Hz frames rates on film based material it's not a multiple of 24 and you'll get all sorts of artefacts as the hardware adds frames, including judder. How many artefacts depends on the processing power of whatever is doing the higher frame rate, but you always get some issues.

Your player and projector should default to the correct frame rate for the material, but cheap players and or poorly authored discs (without the correct flags) can cause issues. Is the Fury disc a legit blu-ray, or a rip / dodgy copy?

Fury is a non-legit disc I picked up during my last trip to China

Bluray doesnt worry me so much as the PS4 games - hopefully with some more 1080p/60 games coming soon (hopefully) it would be nice to take advantage of this on my projector and not get this red fuzz all over the picture

If I had to describe it, i would say its looks like back on analogue days when you couldnt tune a channel in correctly and you would get noise on the screen

Perhaps try another HDMI cable, even if it is a short one, and directly connect the console to the projector to confirm it is not the cable.

HI All

I know this is an old projector now, but recently I moved and I had the opportunity to set up the projector.

I am running the projector via an amp, which controls the signal from the bluray player and the PS4

The HDMI cable that connects the amp to the projector is 10m long, and I am pretty sure it was 1.4 compliant

First, I ran the Fury bluray through the bluray player and the problem I encounted was the video has lots of red 'noise' dots (fuzz?) all over the picture and the contrast is way off. I assume it was a fault with the Fury bluray disc (I dont know the region of the disc and I didnt check the information output of the projector) so I loaded up Guardians of the Galaxy and the picture was perfect.

Next I decided I wanted to check out the PS4 - and bam - the same issue - this red noise fuzz all over the image. I couldnt find any settings in the projector to fix it (and nothing in troubleshooting about it, and wasnt sure how to google this problem) but the information was telling me it was running in 1920x1080 with vertical refresh of 59.94 (and if I remember correctly the horizontal refresh was 74.XX)

I started mucking around with the PS4 picture settings but nothing would 'clean' up the image and make it look 'normal' unless I dropped the resolution from 1080p to 1080i or 720p. In 1080i mode, the projector information tells me the signal is still 1920x1080 but with a vertical refresh of 29.97.

Interestingly, if i keep the PS4 outputting at 1080p but pop in the Guardians of the Galaxy disc, the image goes back to being 'clean' and the projector reports a vertical refresh of 24 (I think, i dont think it was 29.97)

However (and bare in mind its been 4 years since ive used this projector) I used to run my PS3 through this projector in 1080p mode I dont remember ever having this issue (and I remember playing 60hz games with no issues, although there is a good chance the the PS3 would have autoswitch to the game native resolution of 720p instead of upscaling to 1080p, so I may have 'rose tinted' glasses on)

Any advice, thoughts?

You don't need a 1.4 compliant cable. I run my entire system using 1.3 cables, everything works perfectly including 4K and 3D.

The red noise is strange. I could only compare this to an issue I had with my PC a couple of years back, the problem was the video card.

I have found that an HDMI connection can deteriorate, necessitating a different cable to avoid problems. I recently thought I'd have to replace my AVR as it seemed to have ceased being capable of passing a 1080p24 3D signal to a TV, though it would still pass 1080p60. I then found everything was fine again if I used a different (shorter) cable from the AVR to the TV.

So if HDMI troubles develop for a setup that was previously working ok, it can be worthwhile trying a different cable.

The red noise dots/fuzz sound to me like a breakdown in reception of the HDMI signal, often described as "speckles" in the picture. This often affects only some regions of the screen, and can be intermittent.

The video data rate is nice and low at 1080p24 (e.g. when playing a genuine Blu-ray disc of a feature film). It will be somewhat faster at 1080i29.97 [alternatively known as 1080i59.94] (e.g. a recording of a concert or sports event from the United States), and much faster again at 1080p60. Higher data rates put greater stress on correct reception (by the "sink" device) of an HDMI signal that has passed through an HDMI cable (from a "source" device).

This is a new install with a new cable - so would seem that the cable is at fault them? Dammit... Going to have to be a while before I can get a better quality 10m cable

On my previous install, i had a 20m cable and it was all perfect

With the red speckles, it affects the whole picture, not just portions - definitely can conclude that the 60hz refresh is causing the problems

Perhaps try another HDMI cable, even if it is a short one, and directly connect the console to the projector to confirm it is not the cable.

Ill give that a shot

Yes, a good idea to test things out with a short, direct, HDMI connection.