Sign in to follow this  
Javs

Place In Sydney To Demo Sony 300Es & Jvc X500

Hey all

I am deciding between a Sony 300ES or JVC X500 in the next couple weeks,

Really keen to demo both of them, tried a few places and found that Digital Cinema can demo an X500 but they have to install it first to do so...

I have been totally unable though to find a demo setup of a Sony 300ES which is the projector I think I am most likely leaning towards at the moment.

Does anybody know where I can demo one or both of these units in Sydney?

Cheers!

Have you tried Len Wallis (AKA Mr RRP)? Would be surprised if they have a 300ES on display, but it's effectively a 500ES without an iris - turn off the iris and that's what a 300ES looks like. Out of the two, the X500 is much better bang for buck. The X500 has much better blacks, the 300ES is will noticeably sharper.

Hey thanks for the heads up!

I cant believe it thats the only place I didnt try, had no idea they sold video too. Cheers!

Just called them, they have X500 & 500ES... The guy was trying to tell me its a totally different and substantially better projector with better lenses etc than the 300ES and that I shouldn't be looking at that one to compare (Sigh...), I agree with you, I have read a crap ton about the 300ES, its identical to the 500ES in every way except for the iris. (even outperforming it in areas) But trying to tell that guy this was like speaking to a brick wall LOL.

The 300ES has higher ANSI contrast than the JVC though especially medium/high APL scenes... On/Off contrast isnt everything but it IS very desireable, they measured the 300ES at about 12,000:1 on/off which is VERY respectable in my opinion. Which is why I need to see both including 3d to see if the JVC is too dim for me.

Sony in all likelihood uses lenses that are closest to specs in the 500ES and allows a little more leeway for those fitted to the 300ES, so maybe not entirely BS from the salesdroid.

Hey thanks for the heads up!

I cant believe it thats the only place I didnt try, had no idea they sold video too. Cheers!

Just called them, they have X500 & 500ES... The guy was trying to tell me its a totally different and substantially better projector with better lenses etc than the 300ES and that I shouldn't be looking at that one to compare (Sigh...), I agree with you, I have read a crap ton about the 300ES, its identical to the 500ES in every way except for the iris. (even outperforming it in areas) But trying to tell that guy this was like speaking to a brick wall LOL.

The 300ES has higher ANSI contrast than the JVC though especially medium/high APL scenes... On/Off contrast isnt everything but it IS very desireable, they measured the 300ES at about 12,000:1 on/off which is VERY respectable in my opinion. Which is why I need to see both including 3d to see if the JVC is too dim for me.

If you work off the specs, the 500ES has 1700 Lumens versus 1500 on the 300ES. And of course the Dynamic Iris which the 300ES does not. Lens Memory is the final advantage on the 500ES for those who want the flexibility of an anamorphic setup. The JVC in my opinion has better blacks, but not by a huge margin. The 300ES is a very respectable performer. We have found a big shift away from JVC since we had them both available for demo.

As I will not be getting a scope screen this projector lens memory is not something im worried about until I own a house with dedicated room and could go with full treatment and acoustically transparent screen which is still some time off and likely the next projector I will own rather than this one. So, turn off the lens memory feature, dont use dynamic iris and forget about only 200 lumens for a second and you have yourself a 300ES which means when I go and look at the 500 next to the JVC I should get a VERY good baseline to decide on the 300. In fact, the 300 has higher native contrast than the 500ES if both projectors have a wide open iris. Measured by the guys over at Cine4Home.

Good read for those interested:

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cine4home.de%2Ftests%2Fprojektoren%2FSony_VPL-VW300%2Fsony_vpl-vw300_test2.htm&edit-text=&act=url

----

"As in the first chapter describes the main changes in the VW300 mainly relates to the brightness and contrast. For this reason, the results in this domain are particularly exciting. How far the VW300 from its big brother is here removed, but more importantly: how good the image quality is objective and self-sufficient in comparison to the vendor-independent state of the art?

The throttled lighting capacity not only on paper (as with some other "smaller" model from other manufacturers), but is real due to the slightly weaker performance 230W UHP lamp. Sony is again very conservative and honest, the light output of: Many of the tested series devices surpass the promised 1500 Lumens significantly, none is seriously below. Net, talk to a calibrated to the video standard color temperature (6500K / D65) remain 1250-1450 lumens. The serial interface achieved solid 1340 Lumen, 200 lumens less than its big brother VW500.

The eco mode reduces the lamp power and thus causes a light reduction of about 20%. Thus, approximately 1070 lumens remain on average.

This light output of the Sony VPL-VW300 is suitable for large screen sizes over 3 m and thus meets one of the increased demands placed on a native 4K projectors. For visually benefits a 4K projector from its four times the resolution, especially when one projects correspondingly large images. The condensed viewing distance associated is not a problem, because disturbing artifacts belong to the past: Sony recommends a viewing distance of 1.5 times the picture height.

By rationalize the adaptive iris the VW300 is solely his native contrast available. This may sound disappointing, but there are surprises:

Expected we have the same native contrast results as our then-VW500 Series Test (average 7100: 1 calibrated). But the VW300 are noticeably above: Depending on the zoom they reach 10,000: 1 to 13.000: 1 with native color temperature, or 8000: calibrated 1: 1 to 10,000. The serial port is 8500: 1 (middle zoom). Even if these are not worlds to its big brother, the increase does help to compensate for the lack of adaptive iris to a certain extent. The corresponding black level is dependent on the image size and lamp mode. For image sizes under 3.2m Eco mode is recommended.

At the most obvious are the differences in the absolute black level in dark scenes without strong contrasts, here was a slight gray haze sets over the image. But as soon as small bright elements come into the picture, the picture looks, thanks to the high Inbildkontrastes (checkerboard contrast 450: 1), plastic and appealing."

----

This all adds up to a fairly exciting projector in my opinion, and I believe if I am happy with the 500ES in demo with dynamic iris off then I should be more than happy with the 300ES in my living room and should be able to make a fairly informed purchase descision having not set eyes on an actual 300ES.

It will be great to see the JVC side by side with the Sony. At the end of the day, my room is not painted black, and I am leaning VERY heavily towards getting a grey screen from Rich at Oztheatre if I go down the route of the sony. By my calculations I should be able to watch 2d content on a .9 gain screen and get somewhere around 22fl in low lamp mode which is a little on the bright side considering but gives me good room to breathe with lamp aging etc, but with 3d content I should get around 16fl in high lamp mode, which I think is a best of both worlds scenario. All the while having a screen which should help with the percieved contrast in my room and hopefuly somewhat minimise the washout effect I may have with my white celing. The wall behind my screen will be painted a deep ocean blue colour so at night it will appear pitch black and curtains to the side walls will help with side spilling.

Rich, feel free to jump in here, but am I right in thinking a 115" grey screen will be greatly complimented by a Sony 300ES for these reasons? a. to tame the lumens given I have no choice but to mount it on a shelf at 3.7m and get me as close to the 16fl spec as possible in both 2d & 3d in the respective lamp modes accounting for loss of light through the glasses etc, and b. to help with a living room which is just not totally black. I CAN get the room pitch black, but the paint on the walls is another matter. Im not sure this is the room in which I could TOTALLY appreciate the 60k:1 contrast on the JVC. The pros and cons list leans way in favour of the Sony it seems.

300ES & 120" Majestic Screen from OZ Theatre Screens ordered.

CANT WAIT!

Special thanks to Rich @ OZTS for the patience and help. Stellar customer service.

CANT WAIT!

Special thanks to Rich @ OZTS for the patience and help. Stellar customer service.

Nice!

CANT WAIT!

Glad to help Javs, enjoy your new toys,

Cheers!