Sign in to follow this  
cpy

Advice For Projector - Home Theatre

Thanks for all the great feedback. It sounds like the smart money is on spending as much on sound as the projector BUT ...

Having read reviews for the Sony PJ, I want it!

I should point out that the house build is only just starting, so no need to buy for ~ 6-8 months. Maybe the Sony will be much cheaper by then.

I hadn't even thought about seating, but i can probably squeak that through under a separate furniture budget :D

I need to start thinking about how much I need to spend for reasonable 5.1 sound. Should I start a new thread in the appropriate forum?

Thanks for all the great feedback. It sounds like the smart money is on spending as much on sound as the projector BUT ...

Having read reviews for the Sony PJ, I want it!

I should point out that the house build is only just starting, so no need to buy for ~ 6-8 months. Maybe the Sony will be much cheaper by then.

I hadn't even thought about seating, but i can probably squeak that through under a separate furniture budget :D

I need to start thinking about how much I need to spend for reasonable 5.1 sound. Should I start a new thread in the appropriate forum?

Whether it's this thread or another, to get the best advice it helps to have specifics. Eg. Towers or bookshelves in the front stage. In ceiling or bookshelf surrounds. Requirements from the avr etc. put these together and some of the guys that know their stuff will steer you in the right direction. But for my 2cents. Don't be fearful in starting small and building on from there if budget is a main concern. Trust me. My setup is far far from the quality of some the great setups people have on here, but I love the HT all the same. Edited by Cowboyswing

Mate if you put two screens the same size together in a room, I doubt most people could pick the difference.

I suggest to most people starting out to go with a budget screen, you can always upgrade to better quality later, and given the prices now on offer for budget screens, you are not really throwing money away...............

You're right mate, if you need to buy another screen down the track then you haven't lost too much. I'm not knocking budget screens, I have had limited experience with one only, although it wasn't very positive.

If the house is yet to be built, think about your wiring requirements now buddy. Also, power points and HDMI cable runs for the projector on the ceiling. When I built mine I ran all the cables to the front but in hindsight I wish I ran them to the back of the room where the gear should ideally sit.

If the house is yet to be built, think about your wiring requirements now buddy. Also, power points and HDMI cable runs for the projector on the ceiling. When I built mine I ran all the cables to the front but in hindsight I wish I ran them to the back of the room where the gear should ideally sit.

This is interesting. I asked the builder's electrician to run conduit from the ceiling space to the front right corner of the room, as well as power and network points. I guess you want the receiver at the back for a shorter HDMI run? Is that the only reason?I would have thought you want the gear in front of you for remote control line of sight and seeing the status indicators?

Some people can find the lights and displays distracting when under or around the screen (changing the dimmer settings can help somewhat). It can also be beneficial for people with AT screens (and speakers behind them) who want to keep the front stage clear. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve in the room and the desired layout.

Some people can find the lights and displays distracting when under or around the screen (changing the dimmer settings can help somewhat). It can also be beneficial for people with AT screens (and speakers behind them) who want to keep the front stage clear. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve in the room and the desired layout.

+1 on this. I moved all of my gear from under my screen at the front of the room to the back of the room in a side cupboard. It was a lot of work re wiring etc but for me it was worth it. My aim with my setup is complete darkness at the front to make the best possible picture on my screen. I still have two subs with leds on them but a bit of tape fixed that! It does obviously depend on what you are looking to achieve. For me, I've always liked the look of no wires, minimal visible gear and symmetry in a room.

This is interesting. I asked the builder's electrician to run conduit from the ceiling space to the front right corner of the room, as well as power and network points. I guess you want the receiver at the back for a shorter HDMI run? Is that the only reason?I would have thought you want the gear in front of you for remote control line of sight and seeing the status indicators?

As someone who has "re purposed" their room about 4 times my best advice would be to as much wiring done at this stage to not only cover your current room layout but to also cover any possible future upgrades that may occur. This will avoid you having to add more wiring/cable runs etc. at a later date. Of course it's hard to future proof too much but for example if you were planning on a 5.1 setup I would also get the room wired up for 7.2 or even 9.2 and possibly even the new atmos style in ceiling formats. The time saved by having the cables already there for when you decide you want to add those extra speakers is priceless - and it saves having to crawl around in your roof or trying to run cable runs down your walls etc.

I recent;y rewired my room from 5.1 to 9.2 with 4 extra speaker runs for atmos and 4 runs for future tactile shakers.. it took about 2 solid days, a shite load of cable and a lot of swearing :) I don't use it all at the moment but I figure that I won't have to get in that roof for a long time!

In terms of remotes I run all of mine off a Logitech Ultimate Hub system - the only unit that needs the remote pointed at it is my projector and I'm looking at ways to fix that as well.

Edited by bassmaniac69