Are You Getting Australian Stock

Just thought I'd put this out there people.

Have heard from several people recently that some stock of several well known brand name PJ's are being touted as Australian stock, but are in fact grey imports.

Of course the easy way to find out is to register your product as soon as possible, and of course take the usual buyer beware steps, if the price or deal seems too good to be true, then it probably is............

I'd also add:

Pay by credit card or a system that provides you with buyer protection. If you do discover their is something not right, like a grey import serial number, you can initiate a chargeback asap.

If you were misled by an Australian Retailer make sure to report your experience to the Office of Fair Trading (or equivalent) in your state as this is really the only way shonks will be exposed and shut down.

If one is confident the retailer will stay in business, the lack of factory warranty isn't such a major issue IMHO. We are still covered under consumer law and the retailer will be accountable for longer than 12 months.

Still the deal would have to be very good to be worth the potential hassle IMHO.

I agree, but suspect that might be unlikely if the retailer is selling grey stock to begin with.

Most likely a retailer selling grey stock will be online (not with a physical address) and even if they are still trading I would not feel confident that they would honor any items for repair returned under warranty .... It would be highly likely they would find and declare all sorts of reasons for not honoring the warranty ... In which case the consumer would be forced to contact fair trading anyway.

Easier to do that at the start of the process than weeks, months or years later ... Running the risk the retail ceases trading.

Edit: having said all that, it is not against the law to sell grey imports ... But as Owen has said, the same consumer rights and obligations apply.

Edited by Guest

It depends on the price difference, although grey importers usually want only a little less than retailers selling local product so its not worth the hassle IMHO.

Buying direct from the US is also an option. There are re shippers that will buy for you, even at US bricks and mortar retailers that dont sell on line, and give you a US address for US warranty. And for a small free you can even insure against the cost of shipping back to the US for a warranty claim. Warranty conditions and service is often better than here so you may be better off then buying locally and may even get issues address quicker.

Again, it all comes down to how much cash you can save, and where ones personal break point on value.

Edited by Owen

thats why i bought my pj direct from benq melb. no worry about warranty or place of origin

I don't know ... that Matt Guy is pretty shady if you ask me :ninja:

LOL! Just joshing :hyper: Matts a great guy :thumbsup:

What I would be saying to people getting goods at too good to be true pricing is, ask for validation of stock prior to purchase, if you cannot get that verification then don't buy, don't do it after you've put your dollars out!!!!

I know of at least one or two recent incidents where the price promised couldn't possibly be achieved.

How do I know this, well I might not be able to run GB's via DTV (that's for a select few) but that doesn't mean I'm not involved elsewhere...........

What I would be saying to people getting goods at too good to be true pricing is, ask for validation of stock prior to purchase, if you cannot get that verification then don't buy, don't do it after you've put your dollars out!!!!

I know of at least one or two recent incidents where the price promised couldn't possibly be achieved.

How do I know this, well I might not be able to run GB's via DTV (that's for a select few) but that doesn't mean I'm not involved elsewhere...........

As I have said a number of times no one is restricted from doing GBs - you just have to become a commercial member and post your sale thread for the GB in the area designated for commercial members.

As I have said a number of times no one is restricted from doing GBs - you just have to become a commercial member and post your sale thread for the GB in the area designated for commercial members.

LOL

Interesting that with all the posts that are made on this forum that you would manage to find this one amidst all of them.

I made nothing less than a comment that unless you are willing to pay a fee to run GB's and become one of a select few, then you need to go elsewhere.

I don't know who (or care) ran and played dobber Tim but it's pretty pathetic that it's still happening, and I guess the reason why you had your nose stuck in my profile yesterday arvo, play the ball and not the man mate.

Back on topic, buyer beware, even when buying from here.................