Sign in to follow this  
hodgo

New Projector - Epson Ehtw9200W

Hi all

My first visit to this site and also my first post. I am looking for some advice/confirmation on a short listed projector Epson EHT9200w I have chosen. This model is currently on special at a local dealer and based on another thread on this forum seems to be giving some good results (apart from some quality issues)

My room specs are as follows.

Screen size (fixed) 2.5m

Room size is 4.4m wide by 5.3m long - mostly used as a dedicated theatre - dark blue walls.

Current projector is mounted on the ceiling about 3.8m back from screen

Dont laugh but current projector is a Hitachi PJ TX100 which at about 10 years old has given pretty good service

Useage is 4 to 5 hours per week and is about 40% tv, 40% movies and 20% gaming (mix of Xbox 360 and Wi)

3D isnt a priority but is nice to have

Thoughts on an any issues with mounting position, screen size etc or better alternatives?

Presume the screen size is 100" diagonally (screen sizes don't seem to have caught up with the metric system). With a throw of 3.8m you'll be fine. Given the size of your room, you could consider going up to a 120" screen - the TW9200 has plenty of lumens to spare.

The Epson is a reasonable contender at that price point.

While the Epsons have had more than their fair share of quality issues, but they're mainly things that are apparent straight away. The important thing to do is to get your projector home and check it out thoroughly ASAP. Any problems return it to the dealer in the 14 day DOA period and either get a refund or exchange for another new projector. Don't accept a refurb, don't go to Epson's service agent.

Check for dead pixels, stuck pixels, any significant misalignment of the 3 LCD panels, any significant uneven focus across the screen, unduly noisy iris operation and loose lens shift when tightened. Note, if you're mounting the projector inverted, you need to test in the inverted position.

Another vote for the Epson here. Smashing unit and I havent encountered nearly as many issues with them as have been reported. Maybe we get the good ones in!

Hey, I have had the 9200w for over a year now and it still impresses me every time I switch it on. Mine had spot on convergence and has not missed a beat ( only 400hrs) the wireless is really great. I love just switching everything on and works. The picture in THX is awesome for movies then I put it in a tweaked Living room mode for normal tv. Everyone that has seen mine have been super impressed ( even the wife loves it). I do have a dedicated space with dark walls but my ceiling is still white and get really nice blacks. I never game on mine but I heard lag is pretty bad compared to say the sony 55. This has been my first pj and have been super impressed obviously the better the signal the better the image that's why I use oppo for bluray SD tv looks ok ( that's at 120") and HD can look good but feed it a good source and it looks stunning. I was thinking of selling mine to upgrade to JVC but every time a switch it on a say no it looks to good.

If you get a good price and you're on a budget around that price then you should be fine with the epson 9200. Bright, good blacks, cheap lamps, good warranty etc.. I don't like the pixel gap myself but I'd be in the more extreme screen sizing group with a 130 16:9 at 3.5 metres. I could clearly see pixels at that distance but at 5 metres it's fine.

We tend to hear the bad stories on forums about different brands and the problems they tend to have, but for every 1 who speaks of problems there are another 200+ who have none, and we never really hear from them so it weighs up and looks worse than it is I think, which of course makes the decision making harder.

I would look at the Sony HW40ES as an alternate in that price range as it gives the best bang for your buck IMO. I have had Epson's for years but will never go back to them. They have quality control issues IMO and are not as well built as a Sony. Picture quality wise, again the Sony is much better in all aspects IMO.

If you go down the Epson path make sure you check for colour non-uniformity issues. Put on a B&W movie and check for green or magenta clouding. This is a common LCD technology issue and can be seen to some extent in most if not all LCD based PJ's but I have found it to be unacceptable in some Epson PJ's.

I would look at the Sony HW40ES as an alternate in that price range as it gives the best bang for your buck IMO. I have had Epson's for years but will never go back to them. They have quality control issues IMO and are not as well built as a Sony. Picture quality wise, again the Sony is much better in all aspects IMO.

If you go down the Epson path make sure you check for colour non-uniformity issues. Put on a B&W movie and check for green or magenta clouding. This is a common LCD technology issue and can be seen to some extent in most if not all LCD based PJ's but I have found it to be unacceptable in some Epson PJ's.

I think checking for issues with a newly purchased PJ would be the same for ANY brand of projector, not just Epson.

I think checking for issues with a newly purchased PJ would be the same for ANY brand of projector, not just Epson.

Very true......Its just that I have had a lot of trouble with this issue with Epson in particular.

I recommend sony es40 too, or get the es55, there is a GB going on with a very good price, send a pm to oztheatre, he will give you the price. I moved from an epson to jvc, my mate moved from epson to sony, i dont think i will ever go back to an epson again. Sony(16:9) or jvc(scope) is my prefference. I use a 130" screen, 4x5.2m room, sitting in 5m, projecter mounted about 4.4m

I never had any issue with my epson but one of my mate had a red tint issue after 1.5yrs of use. So from the 3 epsons i know of 1 had this issue(epson tw6000, 6100 etc)

Edited by Sub25

Got the 9200 in March last year and it hasn't missed a beat with nearly 2000 hours on the sucker.

I agree that fast twitch FPS shooter style games don't go well with fine image processing, I have to turn it to fast which drops the quality.

I know people have trouble with these......I guess I got one out of the good batch.

Edited by Berzo

Thank you all for your replies. I have tried to not go too wide with searching for various models. Its a bit like buying a car I guess - make the decision and then never look at prices or models again as there will always be something cheaper or better. :)

I've owned an Epson projector for my HT room for about 7 to 8 years without an issue. If I wasn't prepared to wait for 4K projectors to be more mainstream, I'm pretty certain the Epson 9200 would also be my choice. I thought Panasonic projectors were the brand with bad quality control and after sales service? It was around the time I purchased my current projector.

JDH

Edited by JDH