Which Hdmi Would You Use.

Doing some alterations behind my Hecto Projector and I would like if someone could give me some input on which HDMI input on the Hecto I should use from my Oppo 103D. The Hecto has 3 HDMI's which are HDMI1 (ARC). HDMI2 and HDMI 3 ( PC). Which one would you choose to plug an Oppo 103D in using Split A/V HDMI 1 on the Oppo to the Hecto. Any preference and if so can you please explain why.

Blackman,

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/how_to_connect.aspx I would plug the output of your blu-ray player into HDMI1 if it is the only device you are using so that at power up this will be the first choice.

You may wish to add a Set Top Box for free to air TV using an HDMI cable into another input, a computer or a pay TV box into the third input. The inputs are interchangeable. You may also find by looking at the instruction manual for the projector that you may be able to label the inputs as to what is on the end in the menu.

Note: HDMI also carries copy protection information so the sender and the receiver will exchange information, so splitting a signal to more than one device simultaneously is not allowed. This is to preserve copyright of the original program or movie.

Note: cables longer than 7.5 to 30 metres will need to contain a repeater to overcome losses in the cable.

http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=Hdmi&view=list to give you some idea of prices.

Alanh

G'day Blackman,

I'm not sure what the previous poster was replying too, but it didn't seem to actually reply to your answer. Ignore the hdmi cable over 7.5m needing a repeater as well.

To answer your actual question. The "ARC" part in HDMI 1 is only useful if you are going to be outputting sound via your Hecto (that is external tuner to hector to receiver). This would mean that you need the "ARC" going to your AVR.

Plug your OPPO (I have one too) into either HDMI 1 or HDMI 2, either one won't matter. If you do plan on running sound through your Hecto in the future, put it into HDMI 2 so that the HMDI 1 (with ARC) is free for later on.

Blackman has not mentioned any other devices.

Bucket: As for repeaters, this is from the link above and if the cable is too long you end up with speckles over the picture. If they were not required why does the HDMI standards organisation recommend them and Jaycar and many others sell them?

All HDMI carries vision and sound in the forward direction ie source to display.

Input 1 ARC stands for Audio return channel which is only required when connecting to an AV receiver. This allows any sound generated in say a TV to be fed back to the AV amplifier for digital to analog conversion and amplification for speakers.

HDMI 3 will allow a range of resolutions not used by TV as well as TV.

The Hecto is a package containing a projector and a separate HDD/STB contains a TV Tuner and 2 x 10 W sound amplifier. It is not necessary to have an AV amplifier unless 20 W power is insufficient. The addition of a Blu-ray player to the existing HDD/STB is all that he mentions. So HDMI1 should be for the HDD/STB and HDMI2 for the Blu-ray player. The LG website does not give the model number so you can search for the manual and there is no pictures of the connections to say where these socket are (ie on the Projector or the HDD/STB).

The manual should be able to advise on which cable goes where.

Alanh

Blackman has not mentioned any other devices.

Bucket: As for repeaters, this is from the link above and if the cable is too long you end up with speckles over the picture. If they were not required why does the HDMI standards organisation recommend them and Jaycar and many others sell them?

All HDMI carries vision and sound in the forward direction ie source to display.

Input 1 ARC stands for Audio return channel which is only required when connecting to an AV receiver. This allows any sound generated in say a TV to be fed back to the AV amplifier for digital to analog conversion and amplification for speakers.

HDMI 3 will allow a range of resolutions not used by TV as well as TV.

The Hecto is a package containing a projector and a separate HDD/STB contains a TV Tuner and 2 x 10 W sound amplifier. It is not necessary to have an AV amplifier unless 20 W power is insufficient. The addition of a Blu-ray player to the existing HDD/STB is all that he mentions. So HDMI1 should be for the HDD/STB and HDMI2 for the Blu-ray player. The LG website does not give the model number so you can search for the manual and there is no pictures of the connections to say where these socket are (ie on the Projector or the HDD/STB).

The manual should be able to advise on which cable goes where.

Alanh

That's weird, I have a 15m HDMi cable with no repeater and it works just fine. Maybe you need to actually read not only that website, but also what HDMI actually is. A certified HDMI cable can be any length (although getting one longer than 20m or so is prohibitively expensive).

Sometimes it may be cheaper to use CATX (X being 5/6/6A/7/7A/8.1/8.2) with HDMI to CATX converters either end.

Thanks for explanation of ARC, was there something I missed when I said " The "ARC" part in HDMI 1 is only useful if you are going to be outputting sound via your Hecto (That is external tuner to hector to receiver).", if not, then why post the explanation again when you missed it in your first post.

If the OP has a Hecto, why are you posting what it is, they would clearly no what the system is.

I think the OP knows what HDMI inputs the Hecto has, hence their question about which would be best.

The manual obviously doesn't state where to put the primary HDMI output from the Oppo 103D, otherwise the OP wouldn't of posted the question.

Edit: just read my post and it looks overly critical, sorry, however if you are going to reply to a poster asking for help, don't post something you don't actually know anything about, ie. longer than 7m requires a booster and answer the actual questions please.

Edited by bucket23

Thanks for your answer guys. All I was after was is one of the HDMI inputs better for PQ than the other two and if that is the case I would switch to it now that I have solved my 6 month Headache. My system is Very Very complicated as my system is mixed with 10 Satellite TV Boxes and now 12 sat dishes. When you purchase a Hecto they give you a LG 500g/b PVR. I now have sacked that and replaced it with the best sat box on this planet being the Vu-duo2 with a 2 T/B drive in it plus is able to control all my dishes and other trickes that I won't get into :rolleyes: . this box does everything including recording over 8 different channels (can do up to 16 max) our Poxy FTA and Sat all at the same time some in high bit rate HD.

The original Reason why I was changing HDMi's I've had a niggling problem with my system using a Harmony Touch remote and switching from Activity to Activity but luckly it was solved today as it was bringing up a Do you want to switch HDMI message

everytime a Movie was starting and going through it promo's, Yeah what a pain!.

Edited by Blackman

If one was better than another (ie: had some more advanced video processing) it would be mentioned in the Hecto manual ... If not, all the same.

The user manual gives you stuff all info. My service manuals are on loan and like usual people that borrow things seem to have trouble returning them. I might have to go for a drive to retrieve them.

They are all the same in relation to input picture quality. The only real difference is when you are outputting, ie your Oppo has two HDMI outputs. Theoretically, the display should be showing you the exact (pixel for pixel) picture as supplied by your source device (Oppo).