New Tv Flashing Off/purple When Lights Turned Off

Hey guys

It seems like my place got struck by lightning or something during the week.

Came home to my circuit breaker tripped and my Panasonic plasma not turning on. A bunch of electronics in the place are also fried. Electrician came out and thought it was a strike/surge and that everything (minus the wrecked electronics, i.e. washing machine, foxtel, playstations) was okay.

So I got delivered my new Sony KD65X8500B during the day and tonight we've noticed that when certain lights are turned off around the house the tv flicks to black, and in rarer cases, to purple. I'm going to do some more thorough testing tomorrow with sources/cables etc, but I'm thinking it's the house as opposed to the tv.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Hey guys

It seems like my place got struck by lightning or something during the week.

Came home to my circuit breaker tripped and my Panasonic plasma not turning on. A bunch of electronics in the place are also fried. Electrician came out and thought it was a strike/surge and that everything (minus the wrecked electronics, i.e. washing machine, foxtel, playstations) was okay.

So I got delivered my new Sony KD65X8500B during the day and tonight we've noticed that when certain lights are turned off around the house the tv flicks to black, and in rarer cases, to purple. I'm going to do some more thorough testing tomorrow with sources/cables etc, but I'm thinking it's the house as opposed to the tv.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Some while ago I installed 12V LED downlights and these caused severe reception problems i.e.pixelation, colour changes and ,at times, complete loss of picture and sound. Digital radio reception also suffered however FM was not affected to any great extent. Your problem appears to be quite opposite causing problems when there are no lights or do you just dim them?

hornblower

Hey hornblower, thanks for your quick reply.

It actually only seems to happen when i turn off certain ceiling lights in the house, a mix of conventional incandescent and down lights. I actually thought all the lights in the house were on the same circuit, and separate to actual appliance powerpoint circuits... so maybe it is some kind of interference?

cheers

Compact fluorescent lights on dimmer circuits are the most regular offenders for this sort of interference. Even if the CFL is designed for use on a dimmer circuit they can be an issue.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

I have no idea how, or why, but I have identified that the issue occurs due to one new HDMI cable. I take it out of the equation and the house lights do nothing. I put it back and turning the lights off causes the tv to flick off... bizarre!

I've got a replacement HDMI cable and a new surge protector.

Cheers

Edited by illusionzzz
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Arry74
      Hi,
      For the life of me can someone please explain how to ok record live tv with my Sony 75 X95H.

It worked on every Panasonic I've owned I'm pretty sure.

I've also sold my topfield.

Does Kayo show sports in HD and previous games?

Cheers

• By manbat
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: EFT Reason for selling: Renovations Further information:
      Professional series -  Sony VPLW520ES Projector Bundle (latest software upgrade.) White.
      This is the native 4K deal professional series – all glass Sony lenses made in Japan, excellent reviews.
      Lamp time – 2200hrs (lap rated for 6000hrs) – Additional lamp also available
      https://www.techspot.com/products/projectors/sony-vpl-vw520es.122529/
      https://www.avforums.com/reviews/sony-vpl-vw520es-4k-projector-review.12100

What you get (bundle costs 4 times brand new)
      1.     Sony 4K VPLW520ES Projector
      2.     Screen Technics Tab Tension 110 inch screen (electric screen with remote)– I had this made to order with extra-long lead. Great screen - no striations. Mint condition.
      3.     Blue Stream - HDMI – over Ethernet kit (HEX70B-KIT) Base and Transmitter set - https://www.blustream.com.au/ Picture perfect signal over long distances, better than HDMI.
      4.     Projector mount comes from Screen Technics model PRGUNV.
      5.     Projector extender from Screen Technics.
      6.     Spare lamp (new – additional cost negotiable)
      7.     Remotes – mint condition

All purchased locally from Carlton Audio Visual CAV.  
      I am selling everything as a package. All items are mint. Pick up only.
      Serious parties only - home demonstration available.
      Strongly suggest that if purchased you get professionals to remove and reinstall at your residence.
      No boxes available – instructions and remote for projector and screen present and correct in mint condition.

**If you want this posted please arrange a professional company for removal, package, and transport.

Sony VPLVW520ES Reviews
      What Hi-Fi

A pull-out-all-the-stops performer with future-proofing to its name
      Pros:Fantastic picture all-round, HDR support, Native 4K, Future-proofed, Solid, attractive design
      Cons:No 3D glasses, A pricey option
      Home Cinema Choice
      The selling point of the VW520ES is essentially this: it gives you both a native 4K resolution – something no other brand has yet been able/bothered to manage on a home cinema projector – together with high dynamic range (HDR) playback.
      Pros:4K pictures look amazing; HDR pictures look even more amazing; good setup flexibility; good price for what’s on offer
      Stuff TV
      A future-proofed projector with a license to thrill
      Pros:Startlingly good picture all-round, HDR and 4K, Dead simple set-up
      Cons:No 3D glasses, Still a pricey option

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/sony-vpl-vw520es-4k-av-projector-review-430128

Screen - Electronic Tab Tension.
      Screen Technics
      https://screentechnics.com.au/products/roller-screens/motorised-screens/electricinema-side-tension-screen 
      110 inch tab tension extra-long lead (allows to have the screen positioned lower than usual  – remote – excellent screen free of any striations.
      Blue Stream
      HDMI – over ethernet
      Projector mount comes from ScreenTecnics model PRGUNV.
      Projector extender

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By jeffers1984
      Item Condition: Used like new Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Drummoyne State: NSW Payment Method: PayPal (friends and fam) cash on pickup Reason for selling: No longer required Further information:
       Selling my Sony ZX507 DAP purchased at Sony in November last year. 
      this is a great musical sounding DAP perfect for iems and low impedance headphones. You get a good taste of the Sony sound flavour with these. Includes android and access to the play store for your streaming services such as tidal, Apple Music etc. 

I have always kept it in a strong rubber protective case which I will include (see pictures) 

comes with everything including original packaging,USB c to USB a cable and the protective case

pickup from Drummoyne but can also ship at an agreed price

cheers
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By manbat
      Item Condition: mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: EFT Reason for selling: Renovations Further information:
      Take my liver....ONO
      Still for a sale for a limited time.
      Professional series -  Sony VPLW520ES Projector Bundle (latest software upgrade.) White.
      This is the native 4K deal professional series – all glass Sony lenses made in Japan, excellent reviews.
      Lamp time – 2200hrs (lap rated for 6000hrs) – Additional lamp also available
      https://www.techspot.com/products/projectors/sony-vpl-vw520es.122529/

What you get (bundle costs 4 times brand new)
      1.     Sony 4K VPLW520ES Projector
      2.     Screen Technics Tab Tension 110 inch screen (electric screen with remote)– I had this made to order with extra-long lead. Great screen - no striations. Mint condition.
      3.     Blue Stream - HDMI – over Ethernet kit (HEX70B-KIT) Base and Transmitter set - https://www.blustream.com.au/ Picture perfect signal over long distances, better than HDMI.
      4.     Projector mount comes from Screen Technics model PRGUNV.
      5.     Projector extender from Screen Technics.
      6.     Spare lamp (new – additional cost negotiable)
      7.     Remotes – mint condition

All purchased locally from Carlton Audio Visual CAV.  
      I am selling everything as a package. All items are mint. Pick up only.
      Serious parties only - home demonstration available.
      Strongly suggest that if purchased you get professionals to remove and reinstall at your residence.
      No boxes available – instructions and remote for projector and screen present and correct in mint condition.

**If you want this posted please arrange a professional company for removal, package, and transport.

Sony VPLVW520ES Reviews
      What Hi-Fi

A pull-out-all-the-stops performer with future-proofing to its name
      Pros:Fantastic picture all-round, HDR support, Native 4K, Future-proofed, Solid, attractive design
      Cons:No 3D glasses, A pricey option
      Home Cinema Choice
      The selling point of the VW520ES is essentially this: it gives you both a native 4K resolution – something no other brand has yet been able/bothered to manage on a home cinema projector – together with high dynamic range (HDR) playback.
      Pros:4K pictures look amazing; HDR pictures look even more amazing; good setup flexibility; good price for what’s on offer
      Stuff TV
      A future-proofed projector with a license to thrill
      Pros:Startlingly good picture all-round, HDR and 4K, Dead simple set-up
      Cons:No 3D glasses, Still a pricey option

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/sony-vpl-vw520es-4k-av-projector-review-430128

Screen - Electronic Tab Tension.
      Screen Technics
      https://screentechnics.com.au/products/roller-screens/motorised-screens/electricinema-side-tension-screen 
      110 inch tab tension extra-long lead (allows to have the screen positioned lower than usual  – remote – excellent screen free of any striations.
      Blue Stream
      HDMI – over ethernet
      Projector mount comes from ScreenTecnics model PRGUNV.
      Projector extender

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By Arry74
      HI

I am getting a 75" Sony Bravia XH95 installed this afternoon.

Searched the net and have only found a couple of posts on how to set it up for the best picture settings.

I know "best" is subjective and personal preference however does anyone have a good starting point guide or recommendations?

Cheers