Sign in to follow this  
Uthall

Jvc X500 Autocalibration

Hi There,

I want to calibrate my new JVC X500

I purchased the Spyder 4 Pro, and downloaded the JVC projector calibration software

In the specs of the X500 it states that the JVC software will work for the X500, even tho the software itself doesn't list the X500.

Anyway, the JVC software doesn't recognise the Spyder 4, and gives the error "judged error to the supported model"

Im at a loss, and im not keen on manual calibration that the other software packages require.

Help.....

The JVC website FAQ says the supported model is X500R:-

Q : Can it be used with other projectors?

A : In addition to DLA-X900R/X700R/X500R/XC7880R/XC6880R/XC5880R/RS67/RS6710/RS57/RS4910/RS49, it can also be used with DLA-X95R/X75R/XC7800R/RS66/RS56.

So the calibration software should work. What computer OS are you using to run the software?

Ive tried it on both Windows 7 and Windows 8, same error on both.

Device works perfectly with the Spyder software, and the JVC software connects OK to the projector IP address.

UPDATE: I just realised that I was using JVC_PJ_Callibration2_en_v1.00. I jut found JVC_PJ_Callibration5_en_v1.01

Ill try this tonight and see if it makes any difference.

Edited by Uthall

Try the newer version of the software. if it does not work in windows 7/8 then consider running the program in Xp compatibility mode.

Ok, it works with the new software.

Ive ran the calibration, selected the "Cinema" profile, its ran the tests, and ive hit save.

No setting seem to be changed on the projector....have I missed something?

It's funny you say you can't see a difference. Because there have been some companies using the term 'calibration' or 'auto calibration' kind of incorrectly or even falsely.

What this particular auto feature does is take a snapshot of you're already calibrated picture settings and stores it, then in say 100hrs if the bulb changes or something else causes the setttings to shift whichever way, you can then recall the original profile and it will calibrate it back to that profile... But you have to get it calibrated to start with. I am pretty sure that feature is not what the JVC does, I'm quite certain it fully calibrates and saves the settings but I haven't used it and can't seem to find much online about it... maybe the diehards don't think much of it?

Like steffan said, it may be stored under a custom profile.

Not sure to be honest.

Does the spyder software do a better job, and does it autocalibrate?

OR

Is there particular software I should track down.?

Not sure to be honest.

Does the spyder software do a better job, and does it autocalibrate?

OR

Is there particular software I should track down.?

Base on other posts I think unless you prepare to pay for Calman calibration software you are not going to get auto calibration. I suggest you look at HCFR which is available free but you will need to learn how to calibrate. Search for dummy guide for display calibration, read that guide that will be a good starting point.

HCFR is free..you need an Eye-One calorimeter...and a Windows Laptop...and some downloaded information from the web...a few goes...silence ..darkness (and a glass of red wine in my case).

Worked like a dream and I had an excellent result with my calibration work

After reading the various threads on AVS a while back, the problem with auto-calibration is that you don't know if it has actually calibrated properly unless you have the tools and knowledge to test the calibration. And if you do you may as well calibrate the old-fashioned way. It's a bit like Audyssey for audio, which is the subject of a thousand page thread at AVS. If it is that complicated, you are better off without it.

I'm very glad I got a JVC with THX mode a few years back. It's close enough to fully calibrated for me to stop endlessly tweaking.