Sign in to follow this  
Dve009

Benq W1070 Newbie Question

Hi all,

Just purchased my first projector and now delving into the world of home theatre!

Quick question, I have yet to get a projection screen and have just been testing it against a wall.

On some movies, I've noticed that the horizontal bar does not go all the way.

Is that normal?

I have attached a picture for reference.

post-85200-0-56374500-1417232849_thumb.j

That's not normal.

What movies are affected? Are they legit blu-rays, dodgy rentals, rips or Bali specials?

What are you playing them on, a name brand player, a cheapie or a PC etc?

This was all played on an android box - Minix Neo X8

These are rips I am currently trying out.

Only appear on movies and other video formats there doesn't seem to be an issue (ie. tv, nba streams etc)

Doubt it's the W1070, suspect it's an issue where cinemascope movies (i.e. typically approx 21:9, not 16:9 material) have been letterboxed incorrectly during the rip.

thanks for the help..could be the issue i guess...many rips i had were like this

sort of off topic.... but looking at a 1070 or 1075.. most important is placement.

i have made a 90" screen as we 4 older guys like that size and will sit about 7-8 feet from the screen. ( we can not sit further away)

we will watch movies and play split screen cod ( yes we know NO-ONE does this style anymore hehe)

we can not change the seating position or the screen distance.. but we can have the projector up to 11 feet from the screen.. but no further back.

which of these 2 projectors will suit as i see the 1070 has a longer throw... 100" at 10 feet vs 100" at 8 feet. prefer the 1075.. but it all comes down to that 90" screen. oh not really interested in the 1080st/1085st

thankyou

I believe the 1075 has a bigger lag time so for gamers the 1070 is preferred.

mine does similar with crappy ripped movies, when you start using proper blu rays and blu ray player the picture quality gets even better and this issue is non existent

Hi All, Just purchased a 1070 the other day.

Very happy with the image quality.

Just noticing a few rainbows when I blink or move eyes focus point on the screen.

Anyone else noticed that or found a way to minimize or eliminate them?

Edited by Stuartmp74

Stuart, the following thread over at AVS Forum makes a few suggestions/comments about reducing and/or acclimatising to the rainbow effect for a person sensitive to it, and it expressly mentions the W1070: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1513045-rainbow-effect-dlp-can-minimized.html

Rips often have the black bars cropped off so the video is actually 1920 by about 810 which is non standard and many devices cant handle it.

If you play the video via a PC with a good player application you wont have any issues.

Stuart, the following thread over at AVS Forum makes a few suggestions/comments about reducing and/or acclimatising to the rainbow effect for a person sensitive to it, and it expressly mentions the W1070: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1513045-rainbow-effect-dlp-can-minimized.html

Thanks for that, some useful information in that thread.

I will also try taking a break from watching it, as I watched 2 movies in a row yesterday after getting it setup.

It was also the first time I have watch a DPL projector at home as my last projector

was a 3 LCD.

Rips often have the black bars cropped off so the video is actually 1920 by about 810 which is non standard and many devices cant handle it.

If you play the video via a PC with a good player application you wont have any issues.

Good point Owen, Thanks for that.

I will try watching a few movies directly from the disk (DVD and Blu-Ray) instead of through my media player.

What about the BenQ W1400 or W1500

They have frame frame Interpolation.

Would this help reduce the rainbow effect?

Not likely. If you see rainbows single chip DLP is likely not for you.

3 chip projections systems, LCD, LCoS and 3 chip DLP dont suffer from rainbows as the primary colours are displayed simultaneously rather than sequentially as with single chip DLP.

Single chip DLP projectors are cheap for reason, they offer great performance for the price but there are significant limitations, rainbows being one for those people affected.

Edited by Owen