Fs: Denon Avr X4100

For sale Denon AVR X4100 Home theatre receiver. 3 weeks old, perfect condition, 5 year warranty

Bought from Videopro for $2285 sell $1500

All original packaging and accessories, the unit runs faultlessly.

Reason for selling, not that impressed with Dolby Atmos and I need the money. I still have my Denon x4000 so I will go back to that for now, assuming I get a buyer for the x4100.

Can ship anywhere in the country.

Thanks.

I'm a bit surprised myself Jutta, I thought it would go real quick. If I don't sell it in the next week or so I might keep it. I watched Transformers 4 the other night which is the first native Dolby Atmos movie I've heard on the x4100 and that got me rethinking my sale, the sound was pretty impressive. I originally bought the receiver primarily for upmixing non Atmos Bluray movies to 7.1.2 but I don't find it all that effective in my setup for some reason despite the rave reviews. If there was more Dolby Atmos recorded movies available right now I'd be more inclined to keep it.

Edited by gllp

What's the .2 in your 7.1.2? I don't think the height speakers are going to do any better in the new Dolby upmix then they did in the old one. The 4100 is a 7 channel amp? So I'm guessing you have another amp for the extra 2? Interested to hear from some locals with this kind of setup as I have a 9.2 system which will become some sort of 7.2.2 system this week (I hope).

Like Jutta I am also surprised no-one snapped this up. $1500 compared to $2400 RRP.

The .2 in 7.1.2 are the two additional ceiling speakers, it's the same as saying 9.1 really. Yes the x4100 requires an external 2 channel amp to power two ceiling speakers if you want to do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4. If you don't use an external amp you can only do 5.1.2 or 7.1.

I'm not sure about Dolby Surround up mixing, I couldn't get satisfactory results but many over at avsforum rave about it, some even prefer it over native Dolby Atmos which I don't understand. I guess you just have to try it for yourself. When I listen to the ceiling speakers by themselves with Dolby Surround up mixing the sound is all ambient effects but with Dolby Atmos the sounds are full range, dynamic and loud just like the surrounds and fronts which is why I think it sounds much better.

I will most likely buy another Dolby Atmos receiver when more content is available and hopefully the next gen receivers will do 7.1.4 without the need for an external amp and at a reasonable price but for now I'm content with 7.1 on my x4000.

Edited by gllp