Sign in to follow this  
thudabot

Epson Eh-Tw6600

Hi all

Haven't been active here for a long time. Time for some upgrades on my HT and was looking at replacing my Pana projector with the Epson EH-TW6100.

Was just browsing the Espon website and I have now seen what appears to be a new model - EH-TW6600, which seems higher spec and not that much extra dollars. Is this a new model and is there any info as I don't recall seeing them before. I can't find any other info anywhere. Might explain why some retailers have dropped their price for the 6100 to under $2,000.

Also, does anyone have any experience or feedback on Tauris screens? I can get my hands on an unopened one that has been in storage for about 6 years for $150.

Cheers.

If you want to spend a bit more you can get the TW8200 for under $2700 delivered.

If you want to spend a bit more you can get the TW8200 for under $2700 delivered.

Yeah I think this is a worthy upgrade interms of image quality + you would get a better warranty on this model I guess.

The 6600 is said to have a new light engine design so would be best to check out the reviews as the 8200 is now 2 years old.

Cant see much info apart from http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW8200_specs.asp?groupid=11

http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW6600_Specs.asp?groupid=11

Smaller lcd chip in the 6600 with .61 inch but with the D9.8 C2fine panels whereas the 8200 has .74 inch the D9 C2fine panels.

maybe the 9.8 version are the newer better panels I don't know.

I dont like the wide pixel gap on these lcd machines, the offerings from Sony I think are way better value.

Edited by oztheatre

The 6600 has the same warranty as the 8200 at 2 years also.

Budget is around $2,000 but could probably stretch it another $500 or so. The attraction of this new one is the lens shift for that price as it will make my install much easier like the AE700 that I currently have.

The TW8200 has a lot more vertical and horizontal lens shift than the TW6600.

The contrast ratio is a hell of a lot better on the 8200 as well, 600,000:1 vs 70,000:1 , not that those values mean much but i'd expect the 8200 to have much better blacks.

I considered the 6600 a couple of weeks ago before I settled on the TW8200, mainly because I needed the amount of lens shift the 8200 offered and for the contrast ratio.

If you register your Epson projector online you get an additional 6 months warranty :) .

Edited by whitey66

I am sorry if I am in the wrong section but my question is about a TW6600.

I have bought one and it will arrive early next week.

The fixed screen is above a television in a purpose built theater room.

Unit will be ceiling mounted and wireless.

My question.

Sometimes I would like to use the TV for foxtel and dvd.

Is this possible without unplugging cords?

I have a Yamaha AV Receiver that has about 6 hdmi ins but only one out.

The TW6600 receiver has about the same.

Any help appreciated.

You can use a HDMI splitter like this. Turn off any HDMI controls (there's a whole lot of proprietary names e.g. Vieralink etc) on ALL devices. If your TV or projector leave their HDMI ports powered on when in standby you may need to turn them off at the wall to avoid EDID problems (less likely to be an issue if you have the resolution and colour space/depth the same in all devices).

Just saw this unit on display at West Coast HiFi, priced at $2,395. It does look very nice.

The TW8200 has a lot more vertical and horizontal lens shift than the TW6600.

The contrast ratio is a hell of a lot better on the 8200 as well, 600,000:1 vs 70,000:1 , not that those values mean much but i'd expect the 8200 to have much better blacks.

I considered the 6600 a couple of weeks ago before I settled on the TW8200, mainly because I needed the amount of lens shift the 8200 offered and for the contrast ratio.

If you register your Epson projector online you get an additional 6 months warranty :) .

600,000:1 is complete baloney. Do a search over at cine4home.de and you will find the real native contrast is about 6000:1, that's 1% of their exagerrated claim!

What 100" screen is generally recommended as a good quality these days? Going to replace my BOC screen when i get the new projector.

Been looking at either a Tauris or TCC showtime screen.

Tauris screens are very good, speaking from experience. Unfortunately I cant vouch for TCC screens having never seen or sold one.

For that price you can get a sony hw40es, far better than epson8000 or panasonic is another option. I have seen tauris screens in BPP, they looks alright, for $150 i say dont think twice.

Edited by Sub25

For that price you can get a sony hw40es, far better than epson8000 or panasonic is another option. I have seen tauris screens in BPP, they looks alright, for $150 i say dont think twice.

Not sure you are comparing apples with apples, talking about the tw6600 and price is around $2,300 street price. Sony street price is around $3300.

What is BPP, have never seen Tauris screen for that cheap...?

Not sure you are comparing apples with apples, talking about the tw6600 and price is around $2,300 street price. Sony street price is around $3300.

What is BPP, have never seen Tauris screen for that cheap...?

A 130" tauris screen from bpp cost around $800, so your $150 for a 6yr unpacked is a great deal.

For sony 40es give a call to david @ knox city tell him that the guy bought the 130" Screen technics scope recommended you, last time i ask, his price was very good, i am sure you will be able to stretch that much.

And yeah its not apples vs apples, sony is in a different league all together.

Cheers

Have a friend bringing over one of these this weekend for me from Japan (replacing a tw-1000). After exchange rate and 4 pairs of Chinese 3D glasses, price was $1,750. Prices have come a long way since my 1st Sony Projector in 2001 for around $10k.