Sign in to follow this  
here2rock1503559562

Jvc Dla-X500Rbe Ceiling Mount Advice

Just tested it on 5.5 meters, I get a scope screen of 147" wide, would this be correct?

At 5.5 I get a 155 wide scope screen which is about a 168 inch scope screen.

A 160 scope screen and really is right on the upper limit of what you should be using with a JVC, even then most will recommend, as you've seen, 140-150 max.

We rarely do a 160 for anyone with a JVC. 99% use 120-150 inch.

The evo4K has a 1.26 gain so it should net you about 15-25% brighter image depending on the paint on the wall, what colour and sheen it has and how old the paint is.

12-16fl is the acceptable amount in home theatre. I wouldn't worry about the calculators foot lamberts I was merely trying to point out the difference in brightness when using max zoom vs min zoom.

Mount close as possible to gain the most brightness from the PJ and sit closer so the image appears larger.

I have a 165 inch scope screen but I use a lens and sit 3.5-3.8 metres from it.

At 5.5 I get a 155 wide scope screen which is about a 168 inch scope screen.

A 160 scope screen and really is right on the upper limit of what you should be using with a JVC, even then most will recommend, as you've seen, 140-150 max.

We rarely do a 160 for anyone with a JVC. 99% use 120-150 inch.

The evo4K has a 1.26 gain so it should net you about 15-25% brighter image depending on the paint on the wall, what colour and sheen it has and how old the paint is.

12-16fl is the acceptable amount in home theatre. I wouldn't worry about the calculators foot lamberts I was merely trying to point out the difference in brightness when using max zoom vs min zoom.

Mount close as possible to gain the most brightness from the PJ and sit closer so the image appears larger.

I have a 165 inch scope screen but I use a lens and sit 3.5-3.8 metres from it.

You are right at 5.5, I have about 155-155" wide. I kind of start to like the picture at 5.5 meters.

Much to lose from if i stretch it to 5.8-6.0 meters in terms of brightness? Is there an affordable tool to test the brightness?

Edited by here2rock

You are right at 5.5, I have about 155-155" wide. I kind of start to like the picture at 5.5 meters.

Much to lose from if i stretch it to 5.8-6.0 meters in terms of brightness? Is there an affordable tool to test the brightness?

Why do you want to test the brightness? You said it's fine at whatever distance you had it at. At that size and in best mode, you probably have around 6-8fl not much more. If that image looks ok to you then nothing else matters.

Everyone on here has given their recommendations as to where to place the projector and how large the screen/image should be.

I played around for hours, I am going with your recommendation of 5.5 meters. At this distance the picture is more than large enough. played around with the seating arrangement.

I have doing some testing the other way, going lower than 5.5 meters. I was wondering whether there is too much to gain if you drop the throw distance from 5.5 meters to 5.2 (which should give you about 150" scope).

On another note I had a look at the screwed provided with the JVC adapter plate, they seem to be the correct length, in fact same length as the rubber feet if you include the depth of the washer and plate depth.

I played around for hours, I am going with your recommendation of 5.5 meters. At this distance the picture is more than large enough. played around with the seating arrangement.

I have doing some testing the other way, going lower than 5.5 meters. I was wondering whether there is too much to gain if you drop the throw distance from 5.5 meters to 5.2 (which should give you about 150" scope).

On another note I had a look at the screwed provided with the JVC adapter plate, they seem to be the correct length, in fact same length as the rubber feet if you include the depth of the washer and plate depth.

I never recommended 5.5 metres. If I recall correctly I said 5.10 would be best, sit closer, reduce screen size etc.

I'm sure you'll he happy anywhere between 5.1 and the 6.3 you menioned.

Just remember screen size numbers are just for reference. The difference in screen size is determined by how close or how far back you sit.

Just be aware that your lamp will dim over time, especially in the first 100 hours. I wouldn't expect the X500 would light up even a 150" scope screen for the full nominal lamp life unless you have a very high gain screen, or you like a very dim image.

Just checked the hour on the info, it has done 350 hours. I don't think it has a problem lighting up 150" scope.

I never recommended 5.5 metres. If I recall correctly I said 5.10 would be best, sit closer, reduce screen size etc.

I'm sure you'll he happy anywhere between 5.1 and the 6.3 you menioned.

Just remember screen size numbers are just for reference. The difference in screen size is determined by how close or how far back you sit.

Thanks oztheatre, I went over the earlier posts in this thread, you mentioned 5.1 meters for a 150" scope.

I am going to stick with a maximum of 5.1 merest for the time being. I will do some more tests tonight at 5.1 meters. I think what you said makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Just checked the hour on the info, it has done 350 hours. I don't think it has a problem lighting up 150" scope.

It depends what mode you're using and also if you have a point of reference to compare it to.

If it looks ok to you then numbers and foot lamberts don't matter.

It depends what mode you're using and also if you have a point of reference to compare it to.

If it looks ok to you then numbers and foot lamberts don't matter.

It is very true as it is my first projector. I have set it up on Eco mode.

It seems very cinema like to me, maybe it is my age, getting old.

Oztheatre, what kind of screen will suit for a 150" scope, from the distance of 5.1-5.5 meters?

Run it on normal mode for the lamp and cinema mode tends to be the most accurate image.

Majestic scope evo ultra 4K would be the one to use.

That's around $2400, is there one on display in Sydney?

I guess it comes in a package and you install yourself.

Edited by here2rock

That's around $2400, is there one on display in Sydney?

I guess it comes in a package and you install yourself.

No, we sell them direct.

Yes you install it yourself.

The prices are actually going to come down a little soon, I think the 150 scope will end up being 2119 or so.

Do these screens have a minimum throw distance?

Links for reviews?

Video links?

Edited by here2rock

I was in a similar position to you at the beginning of this year and can relate to what you are going through!

I wanted to convert my media room (TV and surround setup) into a dedicated theatre room and after much persuasion of the wife I was given the go ahead.

I spent countless hours looking at various brands of projectors/screens etc, so much that I got caught up in it so much I almost gave up in frustration with it all. I was slightly different in that I didn't have a projector on hand so I was looking at units that could fit into my budget while at the same time trying to fit them into my room with the calculators.... It almost drove me nuts, then a few guys here helped and gave me a few models to look at for my room and requirments.

In the end I bought a second hand JVC HD1 unit as I knew that it would fit "somehow" in my room after looking at the specs etc and all the calculators on the web. I then spent about 3 weeks with it experimenting with it at different distances and with different screen sizes. I was projecting onto a sheet of while calco as the wall at the time was red and I had the ability to try different size screens. I finally decided on a position and screen size that looked good to me and went with it. Due to my ceiling and room (2.5m and 6mtrs long) I went for a 120" 16:9 screen and the projector is 5.2 metres back. I could have fit a 130" screen but with my surround setup the centre speaker would have been too low for my liking so I sacrificed some screen size for the audio side. Off memory my 1st row is 3.7 mtrs from the screen and my second row is 5 mtrs back, so the projector is just above the heads of the rear row.

So I think your doing the right thing by experimenting with the positions and in the end you choose to put it where you want as you are the one that is going to be looking at it all the time. The specs are all well and good and are great to give you a general starting point and to let you know where you can or can't put the unit but if you have it where it looks good and fits into your requirements (IE not in front of your viewing area or above your head etc.) as well as falling into the the limitations of your projector (IE for a scope screen etc) then then that's a great place to put it. Of course, as you are wanting to use a scope screen then also listen to what the guys above have all been telling you but if all of those line up then that's the spot!

I should also mention that for me the bigger improvements that I noticed with my setup had nothing to do with the distance or what settings I ran the projector on. For me it was going from the calico sheet to a proper screen and painting the room black and reducing the reflections at night. Obviously you are looking at a screen so go for the best one you can afford. I cannot speak for RIch's units as I have had no experience with them (I went for a LP Morgan screen as I get them direct through work) but from what I have read then the screen is not something that you upgrade that often compared to a projector, so go the the best and latest that will last for many years.

As for the painting of the room etc then that's up to you (or the wife??) light control has helped my older (6 years old) projector come up a treat and for less than $2k for the screen and projector it's awesome and the family and anyone else that's seen it have been more than impressed. Of course, when I tell them it was $2k I don't mention the other $10K I've spent on the audio and getting the room to where it is at... :)

So, thats a long winded way of saying that you are on the right track, keep experimenting until you are happy and start watching stuff!! :)

Thanks for sharing your story, bassmania69. It is great to hear that I am not the only one. I am not sure I will to such lengths as paining the room black as it is also the living area for the family. If I had a dedicated room, then sure not a problem.

I am not sure I will go and get a screen at this stage. Right now I am very happy just projecting al the wall, I will have a few more demos before making a decision on the screen. The only reason I am thinking of getting a screen is to fill the wall while it is not used during the day time! I guess I don't know what I am missing until I visit a screen demo with the same projector.

I am already watching and have done about 340 hours and very happy with the cinema like experience at home.

I have set my mind on 5.5 meters as the maximum throw distance but I need to see if it can be more beneficial going slightly lower, maybe 5.1 or 5.2 meters. It appears now much to gain or lose within 5-5.5 meters range.

Edited by here2rock

Is the screen harder to lit than the plain wall?

What's harder to lit mean?

From the same throw distance and all other things equal which will be more brighter, screen or the plain wall? I am assuming you have a right light off white coloured wall.

I know you guys have mentioned this before that might screen will be dull but I have been doing a lot tests last night and am thinking it can't possibly be any brighter than It is already even with a screen. I know the screen will help with the contrast and better colour reproduction but I am not sure on the brightness issue.

The measure you need is "gain". A white wall will have a gain ~1.0. Cheap screens will typically have a gain of 1.0 - 1.1.

Oztheatre's screens have a gain of 1.26 (unless you're considering an AT or grey material). A gain of 1.26 is a LOT brighter than 1.0. You can get very high gain screens >2.0, but you'll be paying a bomb and are likely to have issues with hotspotting and/or poor off-axis performance.

Thanks Quark, this whole thing is getting rather complicated for me.

I swear if it is any brighter than I am on the wall at 5.5m throw, I will need glasses!

I am going to check out a screen tonight then come back with some feedback.

You can reduce the light output by closing down the iris. Then open it back up by degrees as the lamp dims.

The measure you need is "gain". A white wall will have a gain ~1.0. Cheap screens will typically have a gain of 1.0 - 1.1.

Oztheatre's screens have a gain of 1.26 (unless you're considering an AT or grey material). A gain of 1.26 is a LOT brighter than 1.0. You can get very high gain screens >2.0, but you'll be paying a bomb and are likely to have issues with hotspotting and/or poor off-axis performance.

What is the biggest size you can go with a 1.26 gain screen with a good picture quality?

I had a look at couple of demos in Sydney but were very small in size 90-100". Not really helpful in making a decision on the screen size.

Edited by here2rock

It comes down to how bright you like your image and whether you're prepared to change lamps before the end of their nominal life.

Personally, I like a bright image and wouldn't go over 140" scope with an X500 (and would expect to change lamps before end of their nominal life).

I note Oztheatre's recommendation for 150" scope as a maximum and suggest you don't go over that.