Jvc Dla-X500Rbe Ceiling Mount Advice

Just to add my 2 bobs worth, I have the X500 and Peerless mount and works great, Placed a piece of timber on top of gyprock and supported it with 2 droppers down from the truss. I found an empty "no more gaps " tube is the correct size pipe to put down though the insulation and gyprock into the base of the mount to run cables though. Plenty of room for power and 2 HDMI cables. I like the way you can remove the PJ easily and leave the base on the ceiling. But care must be taken as they are heavy. With the lens shift on the PJ and very easy adjustments on the mount it a breeze to set up.

Happy Viewing.

Thank you for you input Sands? 2 Droppers? Did you use the JVC plate or the spider?

I don't know whether you can but can you tell me the dimensions of the timer you placed on the gyprock?

Do you have pics of your install from the ceiling?

How far have you placed your PJ from the screen?

The projector is great as I had it running from a desk behind me at a different location.

Edited by here2rock

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just used the spider, the 4mm bolts with the kit are not long enough by the way. I used a piece of pine about 300mm x 400mm 20 mm thick. Placed a length of pine stud across two trusses and the droppers were lengths of pine about 40mm square and 600mm down to the 20mm timber. It depends on what's in your roof. But put a piece of 20mm on top of Gyprock and anchored back to what ever is up there.

I'm on the road at the moment, not sure if I have any pics with me.

The PJ is about 4.5m from screen but can't measure at the moment. I just moved it back a bit at a time on a stand to measure the picture size and as its been said, you need to know what size screen and 16:9 or 21:9 you want. For me the biggest I could fit in, I've gone from 100" 4:3, 100",120" 16:9 over the years and now 128" scope (21:9) I could have fitted a 130" but I have a movie banner that comes down in front of screen that is 3m wide so I just covers the screen.

Thanks Sands.

I am looking to go big at this stage, probably about 150" diagonal (scope), I am looking at 6.5-7 meters from the screen. This will give me flexibility in terms of the screen size, 99% of my watched materials is in scope format.

My only worry is whether it is too far back to take into account the life of the globes and brightness. To my eyes brightness seems fine from 7 meters. Does the distance have an impact on the life of the globes?

Edited by here2rock

Some say it can in certain sercumstanses but I have mine going up the middle of the mount with the HDMI cables in a 40mm tube (120mm of insulation) with no problems. I put a power point in the roof, but when I did have HTMI issues I run a different lead down to the floor and it made no difference to the problem.

I can't see where distance makes any difference to bulb life other than not being able to run it in "low" mode. Mount the PJ as close as you can so you can fill what ever size screen you have.

Some say it can in certain sercumstanses but I have mine going up the middle of the mount with the HDMI cables in a 40mm tube (120mm of insulation) with no problems. I put a power point in the roof, but when I did have HTMI issues I run a different lead down to the floor and it made no difference to the problem.

I can't see where distance makes any difference to bulb life other than not being able to run it in "low" mode. Mount the PJ as close as you can so you can fill what ever size screen you have.

Mount as close or as far?

I was told that with zooming you lose the clarity/sharpness of the optics. I thought you want to have your desired screen size at 1.5x zoom and no more. So if I leave the settings at 1.5x zoom and keep moving the projector back, I will keep getting a bigger and bigger picture albeit less brighter.

Closer I am, more I need to zoom out to get a bigger size, but brighter, don't I?

To my understanding there is a trade off between size and brightness.

Is there anyway of telling clearly as to what % you have zoomed with your lens?

Mount as close or as far?

I was told that with zooming you lose the clarity/sharpness of the optics. I thought you want to have your desired screen size at 1.5x zoom and no more. So if I leave the settings at 1.5x zoom and keep moving the projector back, I will keep getting a bigger and bigger picture albeit less brighter.

who told you that?

You dont seem to be up to speed with modern lenses. Modern high quality zooms can outperform many prime lenses, so saying a "fixed lens is always far better than zoom lens" is simply not true.

Zoom lenses often have a sweet spot in the zoom range and all lenses perform better when stopped down a couple of F stops from wide open.

Most projectors have a zoom lens and if you dont know its characteristics you cant predict what zoom setting is best, and you likely wont be able can see any difference in sharpness no matter what setting you use anyway.

Projector lenses are typically not constant aperture so the maximum aperture will vary depending on the zoom setting. Setting the lens full wide typically gives the largest aperture and typically delivers significantly more light than zooming so the normal recommendation is the mount the projector as close to the screen as possible. However, for the JVC's its not a big deference as the lens is F3.2-F4

Stopping the aperture (iris) down a couple of steps should give the sharpest possible picture, but I cant see any difference myself.

JVC use very good lens and the same one across the range as far as I know. Unless you get a faulty one you should be really impressed with its performance, even in the corners of the screen.

You dont seem to be up to speed with modern lenses. Modern high quality zooms can outperform many prime lenses, so saying a "fixed lens is always far better than zoom lens" is simply not true.

Zoom lenses often have a sweet spot in the zoom range and all lenses perform better when stopped down a couple of F stops from wide open.

Most projectors have a zoom lens and if you dont know its characteristics you cant predict what zoom setting is best, and you likely wont be able can see any difference in sharpness no matter what setting you use anyway.

Projector lenses are typically not constant aperture so the maximum aperture will vary depending on the zoom setting. Setting the lens full wide typically gives the largest aperture and typically delivers significantly more light than zooming so the normal recommendation is the mount the projector as close to the screen as possible. However, for the JVC's its not a big deference as the lens is F3.2-F4

Stopping the aperture (iris) down a couple of steps should give the sharpest possible picture, but I cant see any difference myself.

JVC use very good lens and the same one across the range as far as I know. Unless you get a faulty one you should be really impressed with its performance, even in the corners of the screen.

That would explain why he is here asking questions Owen.

You don't seem to be up to speed with why people post questions on forums.

Owen you are spot on, I have no knowledge of projectors at all. This is my firs projector ever.

Fixed lens/zoom lens, I was talking about in terms of DSLR photography, reading from you comments those principles don't apply to projectors.

Keeping your comments in mind that mount the projector as close as possible to the screen, I played around with the settings again last night (on a bench top). My eyes did not see much of a difference when I uses the throw size of 6-6.6 meters. At this stage I am settling on 6.3 meters unless you guys can tell me I am totally out of mind. I can still lower the aperture a couple of steps at this distance at my desired screen size. I tried 6.5 meters and did not notice any loss of brightness. I am playing safe at a slightly lower throw distance of 6.3 meters even though I would have liked to push it to 6.5 meters.

A few more questions:

1. Do I need to drop down the projector from the ceiling with a tube, my ceiling is 2.8 meters in height? I know this PJ has plenty of scope for vertical shift, am I still better off with a tube?

2. Chopsus, with your JVC kit, did you end use the screws which came in the package to attach the plate to the PJ or did you use longer screws? I read it somewhere that the screws are too short.

I have greatly appreciated help I have received so far from Owen, Chopsus, Oztheatre, Quark and and others because of this I am confident that I am going to get up a good set up for my needs.

Edited by here2rock

Thanks Chopsus, I guess Bunnings should have longer screws with the same size thread. Do you really need extra longs screws? The provided screws should still tighten despite being slightly shorter the actual thread.

The screen size I am intending to use will end up using the area from the ceiling to the floor, so I guess pole won't be required. There is an Air Con vent close by, so should be able to keep it cool.

I am hoping that the bolts wont' be a problem, I am getting a professional to install the mount, hopefully bolt directly into the centre of trusses. Extra two hollow wall anchors to provide a bit of support on the sides.

http://www.ramset.com.au/Product/Detail/86/Hollow-Wall-Anchors

That's the plan anyway, see how things pan out.

Edited by here2rock

From memory the bolts in the PJ are 4mm, the mount bolts on to where the 4 feet were and the kit came with an assortment of screws but the 4 mm are too short. As chops said don't go too long, no longer than the length of the feet, I think about 25-30mm., I'm on the road and can't check but I remember not all hardware shops stock 4mm.

What size screen do you think you will end up with.

From memory the bolts in the PJ are 4mm, the mount bolts on to where the 4 feet were and the kit came with an assortment of screws but the 4 mm are too short. As chops said don't go too long, no longer than the length of the feet, I think about 25-30mm., I'm on the road and can't check but I remember not all hardware shops stock 4mm.

What size screen do you think you will end up with.

I will check the size of the screws, I think the kit screws are M5 x 30mm.

I did not measure how big the screen size was but I think it will be about 190" scope.

Edited by here2rock

Just be aware that your lamp will dim over time, especially in the first 100 hours. I wouldn't expect the X500 would light up even a 150" scope screen for the full nominal lamp life unless you have a very high gain screen, or you like a very dim image.

190 inch using the zoom method? forget it. Way too large for that projector. 140-150 is the largest most go. 150-170 with a good A-lens and the shortest throw possible.

Just sit closer and use a 140 inch screen, it's no different to the eye, if you move about 27% closer to your screen than the current viewing distance watching a 190, it should look the same size.

Move back and forth from your computer monitor and watch it change size. Screens sizes are just numbers, they're only for a point of reference.

I realise your room is long, but keep in mind these projectors are not designed for gigantic i-max screens. If you want a 190 you need a light cannon and a lens but like I said, just move closer.

Just to be sure, the distance I quoted was diagonal distance.

Quark and oztheatre, now you have thrown some confusion over my decided thrown distance of 6.3 meters. At that distance I can go whatever size I like without losing brightness. I don't think the distance is too far for projector unless you guys think I am totally out of my mind. If I follow the calculator on the projectcentral, the recommended throw distance is between 5.1 and 6.9 (green zone). What do you think the correct throw distance should be?

I think I might have already done more than 100 hours on the lamp, I will check it tonight. What is the expected life on the globes anyway?

As I said before this is my first projector, I set it up a few times to test the brightness, it looks very bright to my eyes, in fact as bright as a plasma screen (probably exaggerating a little here) with incredible details and that is just on a plain wall! I imagine the results will be even better on a dedicated screen. I know my sister who owns an Epson projector using a drop down screen, can't believe how clear and bight mine is on the plain wall. She actually suggested no to use the screen for my set up as it allows more flexibility.

Edited by here2rock

But you do lose brightness when you change the image size and or throw distance.

At the end of the day, if it looks good to you, just project what you think is ok to your eyes.

If you want the PJ at 6.3 metres, the smallest image will be 103 inch and the largest 200 inches approx in 16:9 format.

The difference you will notice is with the throw distance, at 6.30 to get a 150 inch image, the brightness comes down to 16fl, but at max zoom at 4.7 metres the brightness is 30fl.

Realising those calculators are not based on best mode post calibration, but the difference is almost double. Why can't you put the projector closer and sit closer?

I'd be forgetting the room size to start with, 10 metres long? This may well be causing you to think you have to sit 7 metres away because the room is so long. I'd be sitting much closer than that.

Not only will the image be bigger, the projector will be throwing a brighter punchier image too. win win.

Globes last ages, don't even worry about that. 2000-4000hrs is lots and lots of movies.

Owen you are spot on, I have no knowledge of projectors at all. This is my firs projector ever.

Fixed lens/zoom lens, I was talking about in terms of DSLR photography, reading from you comments those principles don't apply to projectors.

My comments apply to both projector and DSLR lenses. You dont need to worry about optics with the JVC.

As has been said, the JVC is really not suitable for a 190" screen, few projectors are. How about 140" viewed from 4m-5m.

Edited by Owen

But you do lose brightness when you change the image size and or throw distance

The difference you will notice is with the throw distance, at 6.30 to get a 150 inch image, the brightness comes down to 16fl, but at max zoom at 4.7 metres the brightness is 30fl.

Realising those calculators are not based on best mode post calibration, but the difference is almost double. Why can't you put the projector closer and sit closer?

This was one of my question on earlier posts as to what you are trying to achieve when mounting a projector.

Your advice seem to be mount as close as possible to the screen for the desired screen size and ignoring zoom with XDLA500. it does not matter whether the zoom is at 1.5x or 2x. Why Projeccentral calculator has the zoom defaulted on 1.51x zoom? I was thinking it be the sweet point for the optics to at its sharpest.

What is the desired level of fl? Do you really need it to be 30fl? How do you calculate?

I did not really wanted the projector to be installed in the middle of the viewing area, preferred to be behind seating area.

Edited by here2rock

It sounds alot to me like your just going to mount it at 6.3m anyway. The number of people - all highly experienced projector users and sellers, telling you to put it closer should tell you that closer is the better option.

I had my mind set on 6.3 after doing some tests but I am listening and want to make sure that I don't end up with a small screen.

Edited by here2rock

The problem with sitting further back is you need to make the screen bigger to compensate

Then the further back you go with the projector, the dimmer the image gets.

I have never ever seen any difference in sharpness with projectors dialed all the way or all the way out, you'd need a microscope to see any difference on screen so none of that should matter at all.

You already have the projector on the wall so look for yourself, you wont see any difference in image sharpness.

I agree with you Oztheatre on that one, I can't tell the difference between the image sharpness withh zooming. I was only going by some of the posts above and sweet spot.

I am going to some tests from 5.5 meters now.

Oztheatre, if I set up the projector at 6.3 with one of your 190" Majestic screen, would that help? What kind of gain does that screen have?

http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=1

Just form my understanding point of view, what kind of fl are we looking at 150" screen at 6.6 meters?

Edited by here2rock