Sign in to follow this  
Pixels

Rebuild Of My Sony Sxrd Ks70R200A Optical Block

Hey ML, good to see you pop in here and reminisce a little. I guess you no longer quite qualify as a top of the hill flag bearer anymore, perhaps reduced to a 'ledge of despair' somewhere up the slope a little :bye:

Yes, your experience at first view was exactly the same as my experience at a Sony shop, just jaw dropping wow!!! :drool: 'I simply must have!!!!'  :lol:

I'll keep you in mind if I do need something.

I sold my 70" SXRD about 18 months ago for about $800 and put the 65VT60 Plasma that I had in storage for a year into use. It was working as good as new except for one HDMI port which had been taken out by a lightning strike. The port was not repairable due to lack of parts so the insurance company wrote it off and paid me $3K so it all worked out rather well for me.

I installed the spare lamp that the TV came with so the new owner would never have to worry about lamps. The original had done over 8000 hours and was still going, although I did remove the neutral density filter I had installed to dim the TV down as the output had dropped enough to not need it. Pretty damn bright with the new lamp installed.

I expect the old girl is still going.

Damn fine TV and sad to see it go, but all good things must come to an end eventually and we parted on good terms.

Hi Owen, good to see ya mate, if only here in virtual world :)

Don't blame you one bit for moving on, there's some pretty impressive stuff out there atm. In fact, I feel I have backed myself into a corner with this set! I've put such heart and soul into it that I just can't quit on it!! :D

Besides, gotta make sure it's really fixed better than new and that it will last as long as lamps are available.

I've had some friends express an interest in it, but I've warded them off saying "Are you nuts!! I doubt you would even get it through your front door [turning circle probs] and even if you did, where the heck do you think your going to put the monster!! Even my lounge room is almost too small!!" :D

Yeah they're not short on peak white! I remember not long after having got mine, I was watching a movie [can't remember what], it was a night scene with the camera trained on a car coming down the road. Just as the car got to about 100m from the camera, it swung it's headlights across the camera lens. Such was the on screen brightness, it made me squint my eyes! It felt like the cars headlights had arced across my eyes directly!! Eye watering!!

Another time I was in the service menu standing a metre from the screen and switched the panel to red only - what a mistake!!! Talk about chroma luma overload of the eyes!!!! [cra.. I need my arc welding mask!!] My eyes were instantly savaged and mauled!! :blink:

So, 8,000 hours you had a lamp last for, that's gotta be setting some kinda benchmark. Well, it'll be my bench, lets see if this lamp still strikes on at 8000 hrs and gives a good pic.

Cheers.

Well, my 60" SXRD, which I've had since November 2006 just bit the dust. It went dark and a horrid burnt plasticy smell now emits from it (so much so that the aircon went on to clear the air). God knows how many hours it had on it, but it served us well.

Wow, that was a good run mate. Did you ever have the optical block repaired or replaced?

8 hours ago, Owen said:

Wow, that was a good run mate. Did you ever have the optical block repaired or replaced?

No, never had an issue with it. It didn't even have the dreaded green blob. Still, as you say, was a pretty good run (really wish I knew just how many hours). Now to find a replacement.

Edited by Greebs

10 hours ago, Owen said:

No, never had an issue with it. It didn't even have the dreaded green blob. Still, as you say, was a pretty good run.

EDIT: Ok, just managed to pull it apart a bit to find the issue. The funny thing was I couldn't remove the lamp (I tried last night, but gave up). Now, I used a bit more force (when I say a bit more, I mean considerably more - tools were involved!), and it seems the lamp and the TV side are completely fused at the connector (and oh yes, that is most certainly the source of the smell that is throughout the house now). So much so, that even now they are out, I can't remove the plug from the socket. Perhaps it's just that which is the issue, but unfortunately in the course of removing, the power cables to the lamp came out of the back of the connector (TV side), and the plastic holding the lamp slot broke, so would need an entirely new assembly. It's probably just a matter of replacing that, but unlike Pixel, I'm not up for that.

Edited by Greebs

Hi everyone, nice to see this post still running.

Well I finally got off my behind and started working on rebuilding one of my SXRD TVs.  It is currently under the house, ideal for working in the dark but I still need a screen to project on to, to see the picture! 

So far I have stripped down one of the TVs to a working electronics package.  Nothing is left in the plastic casing that is the TV.  I have been able to get it all working without the shell.  The Light engine is missing the panel driver board in this photo. Also I think I broke the door open wire.  Couldn't get it to start up, so I have to jumper the pins on the connect to the door/lamp switch.

Electronics.JPG

My next issue I had was trying to work out how to replace the SXRD panel.

This is what I got it down to.  Not sure if this is the same as the videos on Youtube.  I need to go back and watch them again.

Projector.JPG

Now I need to align the panel.

It doesn't look like I can do in when the projection unit is assembled as there is cooling pipe work around the panels and the driver board gets in the way.  I might be able to rig up an arm or something to hold onto the panels alignment device the pokes up near the ribbon cable of the panel.

projector top down.JPG

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony, getting an old SXRD to work may be an interesting hobby activity.  Of course display technology has moved on quite a bit since these magnificent sets appeared in selected Australian showrooms in 2006.

In case it may be of interest to you or anyone else involved in such a exercise, and in need of spare parts, I still have almost all of the parts from my disassembled 60" SXRD, including its optical block affected by the dreaded "green blob syndrome", in a garage in Brisbane.

Repurposing the rear-projection mirror

I took the large first-surface mirror that had been attached to the back of the cabinet to a glass cutting firm and they cut it into two halves for me. One day I may use these two mirrors to help make a stereoscopic camera. The reflections at a 45 degree angle are crystal clear, definitely sharper than with conventional mirrors.

Edited by MLXXX

On 2016-11-20 at 4:56 AM, Pixels said:

Out of interest, am I the only sxrd'er left standing on the sxrd hill?? A lone flag bearer :)

I thought this thread had been abandoned - great to see that it has been resurrected!  Pixels you are not alone.  My SXRD-70 is still going strong after a rebuild of the optical engine by John Breton in the USA in 2013.  I'm still on the second bulb and like you am getting warnings to replace it but am holding off as the picture is still very bright and I am worried about reducing the life of the filters if I put in the new bulb.  I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it as the picture is still amazing and I hope it will last until the price of  large screen OLED TV's come down to more affordable levels.

I owned a 52" Sony rear projection TV way back in about 2005 - I sold it because it didn't have HDMI inputs (only component).  It was one of the craziest things I ever did because I still regard it as the best TV I ever owned.  Beautifully smooth picture quality, good contrast and a superb ability to screen fit most aspect ratios with minimal picture distortion. 

Since then, have purchased about 10 different sets, LG Rear projection, Plasma, LCD, LCD/LED, none of which measure up to my old Sony Rear Pro and costing me well in excess of $20,000..........................such is life.

Hi crew, not wanting to bump this thread at all, but just dropped past to say that the sxrd is still performing waaay above expectations, all three panels are still perfect, most impressive is the blue panel, not a hint of loss.

I don't actually use it as a tv as such, but it has assumed the roll of just being a computer monitor, being driven by a HTPC equipped with a dual dvb-t tuner card which is made by Terratec and is the Cinergy 2400i, a stunning tuner that delivers a perfect picture even under adverse weather conditions and my less than optimal antenna mast. The keyboard for the computer is a blue tooth connected Lenovo and that takes the place of the remote for the sxrd, which is now only used to turn the panel on and off. With everything running through windows media center, it is IMO, the only way to watch tv and when not watching tv, I can load up Lockheed Martins P3D flight sim and practice my approach and landings at Princess Juliana airport [or any other airport on the planet] in the A380, all on a 70" screen.

So, even though it nearly cost me my sanity, I feel that I have now gotten good value out of the sxrd, and will continue to do so for years to come.

Hi pc9, yes, not having any hdmi inputs would be a pain, as you need hdmi to be hdcp compliant when using a computer as your tv tuner.

Ciao all, back soon

Blue Pixels!!  :)

On 04/07/2018 at 1:01 AM, Pixels said:

I don't actually use it as a tv as such, but it has assumed the roll of just being a computer monitor, being driven by a HTPC equipped with a dual dvb-t tuner card which is made by Terratec and is the Cinergy 2400i, a stunning tuner that delivers a perfect picture even under adverse weather conditions and my less than optimal antenna mast. The keyboard for the computer is a blue tooth connected Lenovo and that takes the place of the remote for the sxrd, which is now only used to turn the panel on and off. With everything running through windows media center, it is IMO, the only way to watch tv and when not watching tv, I can load up Lockheed Martins P3D flight sim and practice my approach and landings at Princess Juliana airport [or any other airport on the planet] in the A380, all on a 70" screen.

Towards the end I used my SXRD primarily as a computer monitor. Although the minimum black level was somewhat high, the screen was kind on the eyes, with no noticeable flicker, and text was very easy to read. (Today all I have left of the TV is its chassis gathering dust; and its large first surface mirror, which has been cut into two halves for experiments with 3D.)

On 04/07/2018 at 1:01 AM, Pixels said:

So, even though it nearly cost me my sanity, I feel that I have now gotten good value out of the sxrd, and will continue to do so for years to come.

I can understand how anyone's sanity could be severely tested, going through the time-consuming disassembly-reassembly process countless times in the quest for alignment of the three subpanels.

Freedom of expression here at SNA - a privilege of a Western democracy

As a member of the old DTV Forum "crew",  I note that what Pixels achieved was verifiable: proper optical convergence. In many threads  of this forum into which the old DTV Forum was absorbed I cannot help but feel that a number of the posters are in a dream-like state, making claims based solely on their imagination, untethered to scientific principle or empirical verification.

However such posters are exercising a right of freedom of expression, and in a Western democracy, freedom of expression is highly valued! Hopefully in Australia we will continue to have freedom of the press, and freedom of individual expression, into the indefinite future.

Spoiler

Hi ML,  yes, the rebuild was certainly a case of WTF's%20per%20hour.jpg

Just one minor oddity which might apply to other panels, I noticed that with the panel turned on, if I moved between the panel and the remote, the panel would switch off!! "WTF???"

If I switched the panel back on then swung the remote around so it was facing away from the panel, again it would switch off.

So then I thought "This thing has suffered a glitch and has lost it's grasp on reality [bit like the owner!]" I then went through lamp cool-down, then pulled the power cord out of it, left it for a bit, then powered it back up and hasn't missed a beat since. So, one for the books.

I've been through the thread and fixed up the emoticons some time back, as they definitely added to the insanity of the whole thing  :)

Anyway, good to catch up, have got some other non-sxrd nightmares to share here.

Cheers,

Freezing cold Blue Pixels

Just dropping by to say that my 70" SXRD is still going strong and in daily use. Bought in 2007, OB repaired 2009, OB replaced 2011, no issues since. Currently sitting at 29673 hours.

Hi gusangora, Good to see I'm not the only one with a 70" behemoth!!  :) That's good hours, I think mine is on a similar hours as well, and yes, I think I started this thread in 2014. Would be good to see who lasts the longest, your replaced OB or my rebuilt OB.