Head Of Channel 7 Breaks Promise To Show The Afl Gf In Hd

Not sure how that link shows an AFL HD broadcast is no longer happening? Unless its common knowledge from another source?

The TV guide does seem to say that the grand final won't be on the HD channel. It would have to be simulcast (anti siphoning rules) if it was, but I can only agree its pathetic (and i don't really like football). The whole game will be filmed in HD and channel Seven will be down sizing it to SD. The HD channel 7Mate will be showing repeats of:

2:30pm Bid America ‘Whatever Floats Your Boat’
3:00pm Bid America ‘Can't You Read the Signs’
3:30pm Motor Sport: Shannons Legends Of Motorsport ‘Jim Richards’
4:30pm Horsepower TV ‘Project 'Sucker Punch' - Part 1’
5:00pm Pimp My Ride ‘1988 Acura Legend’

Dont' think Malcolm will be pushing for any changes any time soon. Unless its pushing the 2015 grand final on to an internet channel to free up all the FTA channels for repeats of Hogan Heros and Ab Fit sale sessions.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Is anyone surprised though?

Its all about the money and how much content you can cram onto the spectrum you own.

I can't believe this is the primary reason. The advertising revenue from the 7mate channel for those few hours must be less than ten grand surely? The prestige of a HD grand final would surely be worth more than that? Remember the race to be the first FTA network with a (non simulcast) HD channel at all?

Keep in mind that five minutes of advertising on the SD channel at that time will be netting over $1 million!

I can't fathom the reason but their must be one, technical? the AFL want to ensure the stadium is filled up so only wants SD broadcast? Some side deal/threat with Foxtel? Surely not $10,000?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

The sad reality is that 95% of the population cant tell the difference between SD and HD...

My 26" Philips TV in 1985 looked way better than my 55" HD flat screen today (but that might have something to do with Foxtel and viewing distance) :)

I hate channel 7. Don't watch them anymore. The good news is we are one year closer to a new AFL TV rights contract and I'd be VERY surprised if '1080 native' was not mandated this time around.

Edited by HomerJ

Is the anti-siphoning law still in place? I do wonder if Fuxtell would prefer to be able to claim that they are the only way to get HD broadcasts.

Yep. Got revised last year (mostly applies to sport). Basically added a no use you lose clause (which was good) and the usual special events MUST be broadcast on the main SD channel. The big change was that they COULD also be simulcast on the HD channel if the networks wanted to (I believe before that they weren't allowed to even if they wanted to).

Do you really think the AFL give a stuff about HD? I'd bet only if it enables them to squeeze more $'s out of the rights and a 1080 requirement is likely to reduce the pool of potential bidders, not increase it.

Again though, I can't fathom the lack of push for a HD broadcast by any of the players. the AFL sells a product and that product looks better in HD. They might not care much either way, but you'd at least expect them to make a small fuss on behalf of the punters (good free PR it is). I can only assume Foxtel are paying a motza to get the HD exclusive rights?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

For the few who notice, and have effectively no real power to make a difference, yes - they are ten grand ahead.

The sad reality is that 95% of the population cant tell the difference between SD and HD, so don;t complain ... those that do get written off as pedantic cranks.

Today's coverage on the AFL in HD issue from this pedantic crank ...

Mumbrella: AFL fan site accuses Seven of ‘backflip’ over broadcasting grand final in HD

http://mumbrella.com.au/afl-fan-site-accuses-seven-blackflip-grand-final-hd-252871

DailyMail: Footy fans accuse Channel 7 of backing down on a commitment to broadcast the Grand Final in high definition television

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2766155/Footy-fans-accuse-Channel-7-backing-commitment-broadcast-Grand-Final-high-definition-television.html

Business Insider: 10 Things You Need To Know This Morning In Australia, #10. AFL Grand Final update

The Age: PLEA FOR HD SPORT

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/readers-praise-at-the-movies-20140921-10jws5.html

The whole game will be filmed in HD and channel Seven will be down sizing it to SD. The HD channel 7Mate will be showing repeats of:

(list of crud)

I don't know how Seven Management can even look their staff and viewers in the eye.

This conduct is a national embarrassment - we shouldn't be too surprised I suppose, Seven are well known for their shonky behaviour when it comes to live sport.

The sad reality is that 95% of the population cant tell the difference between SD and HD

Exactly Chops, you'd be a spud to think otherwise.

Edited by AV Forum Mod
Member suspended for being offensive of another member