Sign in to follow this  
jst01

New Epson "pseudo 4K" "laser Reflective" Lcd @ Cedia Us

Hi Zinzan,

Not a lot of difference to be honest :) Given the unit is pseudo-4K, there's no real issue with resolution. The projector is plenty bright on 2D as well so no brightness issues. The lens memory is a little bit of a pain to get right but once you get it consistent it is fine. It just takes a lot of goes unless you are lucky.

Cheers,

Jamie

looking at previous reviews of Epson projectors, the brightness and crosstalk seem to be proportional - more brightness equals more crosstalk - and perhaps Epson have taken the less crosstalk route here. Really if you are right into 3D and have a screen over 100 inches, your projector needs to be one of the 2500-4000 lumens ones because the glasses just take so much light away (=500-800 lumens through glasses). At that brightness, typically the blacks will suffer in any reasonably priced projector, so it's up to each person what they are willing to sacrifice. If money is no object, SIM2, Runco, Christie and their ilk can do miracles :)

Cheers,

Jamie

Thanks Jamie ; I can live with my 110" 1.0 gain screen when the globe goes on hi automatically when switching to 3d [ not daytime though :pinch: ] Next screen will be 1.2 gain more than likely though ..

I like that the 10000 'instant' dynamic dimming seems to be the 1st one that works well of the new led and laser hybrids so no more gears grinding for the iris operation like the 9000 :hmm: The 2d contrast is more important for most viewing - swings and roundabouts as you say - thank goodness .I wonder what epsons stance is on the laser light path replacement at end of life though ; more than a few @ avs are curious for resale value ; the word is coming from projector review I gather . I can see using eco mode for many many hours though :) When audio junction actually gets some stock though ...

What actually annoys me about Epson projectors is that while the 3D colour mode and basic settings are stored separately to the 2D settings, the advanced settings like the RGB white balance, gamma and CMS are shared. Put 3D glasses on and all the setting values need to change, not just the basic ones like contrast and brightness, but I can't change the advanced controls without stuffing up 2D!

Hence the memory presets.

I also found a potential solution to the lens memory issue. There's another setting buried away in a sub-menu that adjusts how much the zoom, shift and focus will move per button press. By default it is set to 2. I wonder if I set it to 1 or the smallest increment and make adjustments, if the memory issue will be less of a problem. I may have a play this weekend if I get some time, and also see how much I can optimise the brightness in 3D by doing various tricks.

Edited by jamiet

Update: Still working with Epson on the Lens Memory issue but found a way around it. The process is:

1. Adjust picture until the position and focus is correct and save the position to memory

2. Go to the Operation....Lens Adjustment setting and set it to '1' (1 click = 1 adjustment)

3. Change the lens position and then recall the memory

4. If the recalled position is not correct, adjust the position 1 click and save to memory

5. repeat 3 and 4 until recalling the lens memory results in the correct picture position

I also tried mucking around with trying to get 3D brighter but the projector runs out of blue and red at about 28 ftL (no glasses) at 100". I can get it to 34 ftL but it just ends up with a ton of green tint (which happens to be the worst tint you can put on a picture, and that's before you put the green-tinted glasses on).

Would a Lumagen be an option for different 2D and 3D calibrations considering the issues you are experiencing?

I have a Lumagen and yes I can use it with it's auto-cal function to have a different calibration for 2D and 3D. But as you know, the 100IRE white pattern needs to be manually calibrated first in each instance using the projector's gain settings, which are 'shared' between 2D and 3D, unless you use memories. So you still need the projector memories. I have tried doing a 3D auto-cal using the 2D white balance settings just to see how much adjustment the Lumagen could make but the result was not pretty.

For the 3D brightness factor, unfortunately, the Lumagen can't make the projector brighter just by adding red and blue to the signal. There's only so red and blue 'power' in a projector. Effectively, the Lumagen simply reduces green. With or without the Lumagen, the 3D calibrated brightness maxes out at about 28 ftL without the glasses on my screen. In contrast, my last Epson 9100's limiting factor, like most lamp-based projectors was red. I was surprised with this projector, because I thought both green and red would be the limiting factor since both are output by 1 laser, while blue comes from a separate laser.

Would a Lumagen be an option for different 2D and 3D calibrations considering the issues you are experiencing?