Sign in to follow this  
davep

Liking A Post?

Not a ground breaking suggestion, but sometimes when I just want to acknowledge the fact that i've read a post, without feeling the need to reply further, a "like" button works well, as is used on some other forums.

+2 from me, that would be great!

Not necessary, it's the "now generation" way of getting recognition for every single thing they say or do and pretty much is just a popularity contest. Head over to FB if you want to give and receive "likes", leave this forum to the grown ups.

Edited by AV Forum Mod
This post is not in the spirit of the AV Forum - suspension issued

Congratulations on your lack of comprehension. An adult would understand the motive. A moron would jump to the wrong conclusion. Moron.

Edited by AV Forum Mod
Abusive response to the above post - suspension issued

Not necessary, it's the "now generation" way of getting recognition for every single thing they say or do and pretty much is just a popularity contest. Head over to FB if you want to give and receive "likes", leave this forum to the grown ups.

lol.

Edited by AV Forum Mod
Not helpful to promote such behaviour

Congratulations on your lack of comprehension. An adult would understand the motive. A moron would jump to the wrong conclusion. Moron.

?

Some forums I'm on also have a 'thanks' function, if people want to avoid it feeling like facebook. I find likes and thanks very useful on forums (as opposed to facebook) becase it helps me gauge the usefuleness/accuracy of a post in certain contexts, or how funny it may be etc, rather than having 20 people reply that they agree etc

Edited by AV Forum Mod
Post deleted

Congrats buddy, you just proved your immaturity with an abusive post. I'm sure the mods will be impressed.

And you also proved why a like button is nothing more than a popularity contest, thanks. Lol.

Edited by AV Forum Mod
No reason for this post other than aggrivation - member suspended

Some forums I'm on also have a 'thanks' function, if people want to avoid it feeling like facebook. I find likes and thanks very useful on forums (as opposed to facebook) becase it helps me gauge the usefuleness/accuracy of a post in certain contexts, or how funny it may be etc, rather than having 20 people reply that they agree etc

Yes it is handy to gauge the usefulness of a post,but IMO reading through the replies creates more knowledge on a topic or perhaps a varying opinion. If a "like" was introduced it may serve to dilute the OP post and reduce the feedback from other forum members by taking an easy "like" option as opposed to commenting on the post.

Furthermore. Most of us don't post for recognition it is more for answers or opinions from other forum members.

Not a ground breaking suggestion, but sometimes when I just want to acknowledge the fact that i've read a post, without feeling the need to reply further, a "like" button works well, as is used on some other forums.

I am but a reader now, but often I have felt that if there were an avenue to acknowledge appreciation of a comment or a post then I would definitely do so, so I second your suggestion in this regard.

Whatever the outcome it's good that suggestions to improve the present forum are put forward from those such as your good self, davep.

Edited by gardener

There used to be a 'like' button, but it was removed due to abuse IIRC.

There used to be a 'like' button, but it was removed due to abuse IIRC.

Was that a "like" button for posts, or for the member in their profile? I remember some crazy days with member ratings - not so much abuse, but sh!ts and giggles that got taken a bit too personally I think.

Saying a "like" feature is an extension of social media behaviour is a bit simplistic to be honest (let alone inferring that anyone that would want it is a child and should therefore not be a part of this forum :rolleyes:).

There are many times a technical thread reaches a natural conclusion, with some posts better than others at either conveying a common message, or providing the more accurate answer in a discussion. A "like" feature gives members who would otherwise not have contributed, a way of weighting the posts for the benefit of other readers who are seeking an answer on that technical discussion.

I'm wondering out loud, whether a "like" feature might have helped to deal with a lot of the angst caused by inaccurate posting on technical issues over the years.

Edited by Mining Man

~
Edited by Mining Man

...leave this forum to the grown ups.

:sick:

JSmith :ninja:

I'm with davep, bring back the like button as a reply to +1 is a waste of a response and a waste of a phone being pinged for every response to a topic!

This forum is nowhere near as serious as stereo.net which is the way I like it...

Light hearted jokes and taking the p!ss can be dealt without being ridiculed by 60+ year olds with no sense of humour (ie: bitter, old and lonely men)! :D

I'm wondering out loud, whether a "like" feature might have helped to deal with a lot of the angst caused by inaccurate posting on technical issues over the years.

I like the idea of a "Like" feature.

So Agree

I'm with davep, bring back the like button as a reply to +1 is a waste of a response and a waste of a phone being pinged for every response to a topic!

Do you not think that the phone will still ping with a notification that someone liked your post?

While we're at it... anyone for a dislike a post button? :P:blink:

Well, on youtube instruction videos, I like to see the proportion of likes to dislikes.

Some of them are just plain dangerous.

13175365-four-different-types-of-buttons

Why would you of all people suggest that, you'd get a RSI from disliking every opinion that differed from your own?