Help Me Choose A Pj

Guest JohnA

I am asking on here as when it comes to these things i have no idea at all. I am a 2 channel guy, so when it comes to PJ's i am a noob who is wet behind the ears.

I am starting my research for the new house and this is what i require.

The room size is 5.9 x 4.4

will not be painted dark colours, but will only be watching mainly in the evenings, however some day time watching will also occur.

There will be blockout blinds over the windows but i do suspect there will be some light that may still enter.

The PJ will be at the back of the room sitting on top of my vinyl storage shelves and will be projecting onto a 110 or 120" 16:9 fixed screen/

Budget for PJ would be around $4.5k

Please throw some recommendations at me

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John, my vote goes to Sony 55es ( I own this projector) , brilliant projector and the picture quality is impressive .

You can also consider JVC-X500.

I will PM you where you can get a good deal for these projectors.

JVC x500 isn't to far away from budget. Has lens memory.

Sony es55 also. Both great image. But the Sony doesn't have lens memory, but you mention 16:9 screen so that doesn't really matter either.

BenQ 7500 is super bright but your screen isn't too big to worry that anyway

Edited by Jutta

+1 on the Sony. I have been very impressed with it so far. I have a less than perfect viewing environment especially during the day and have been impressed with the extra bright modes for watching non-critical things like sport during the day.

In my view this is something that the Sony has a bit of an edge on the JVC in that its brightest mode is much brighter so gives you more flexibility when watching in less than ideal environments.

The JVC's seem to be great for dedicated rooms + scope screens due to lens memory.

If not a dedicated room and going 16:9 then the Sony would seem to meet your needs better.

The Sony also compares well to the JVC's for best mode so you aren't giving up much in PQ if anything to get a more watchable picture when you can't control things like wall and ceiling colour or some ambient light.

thanks for the suggestions guys and for the tips.

Much appreciated. Reading up on both the sony and JVC models as we speak.

both look great on paper

Well I can't comment on the current Sony, but my son bought a Sony about 10 years ago and it was a good PJ, a big improvement over my Infocus at the time. But now I'm running the JVC X500 and it puts up a great picture. For me the lens memory is great as I have a scope screen but also as some movies from my media player are a bit smaller on the screen so I have a saved lens setting for them. The x500 has 5 memory's.

I suppose the best way would be to compare them side by side, but really they need to be in your room.

Hi John, my vote goes to Sony 55es ( I own this projector) , brilliant projector and the picture quality is impressive .

You can also consider JVC-X500.

I will PM you where you can get a good deal for these projectors.

Any chance you can PM me too? Leaning towards JVC as I will be getting a scope screen, and the lens memory would be desirable.

thanks again guys

the sony seems to be the lead runner at this point from all my reading, though the JVC does have some very nice features.

though, i did have another thought, do i get something a little cheaper now to get me by for a year and then look into 4k pj's

John. Sony are dropping a cheaper 4k machine nearing years end or right on it. May or may not have lens memory. Then JVC will have their new models also no doubt

hmmm, maybe i should just hold off then

my IMG HT recliners wont be ready for another 10 weeks anyways :)

thanks again guys

the sony seems to be the lead runner at this point from all my reading, though the JVC does have some very nice features.

though, i did have another thought, do i get something a little cheaper now to get me by for a year and then look into 4k pj's

If you are thinking that way the benQ 7500 has been sensational since I got it. Great picture quality. Pm me if u like. It will do more than see u thru to 4k.

Hi John,

I think Jamo 8's suggestion is good. Also consider the new Sony 40ES which is much cheaper than the 55ES. There may be some compromises but have a good look for your self.

I saw this projector for 2990 AUD in a catalog if Big Picture People. You may be able to get a even better deal when you are actually purchasing.

Edited by Chamila Rodrigo

Hi John

I understand the desire to wait to see what's coming out but always remember that there will always be something better coming out. A person needs to consider things like is the improvement going to be worthwhile(eg 2K to 4K), am I prepared to wait till the new model is available, how much cheaper may I be able to get a soon to be end of line product compared to the new model about to be released etc etc.

In this instance I would suggest it probably won't hurt to wait till next month to see what is announced at Cedia and decide if any new pj coming is worth waiting even more for.

thanks again guys, all the responses are greatly appreciated.

lucmor, you are correct mate, can alway be sitting around waiting and waiting for whats around the corner, and never get anything.

I do the final inspection of the new house tomorrow, so if all goes well, we should have the keys within another week.

So by the time we move in, set up, we would be looking at around mid september i sould say.

Will see whats been announced and if nothing much that takes my fancy, i will definately grab either that sony or JVC

Neill, appreciate the very kind offer mate, and may definately take you up on it, especially now that i have a little free time up my sleeve

On the waiting front I would consider how long it might be before you have much 4K content for it. My father-in-law just put one in and is struggling to find any decent content - and that is in the US where there are a lot more options!

No point have a 4K if its 2 years before it transitions from the exception to the rule.... (and by then they will probably be making 16K....)

No point have a 4K if its 2 years before it transitions from the exception to the rule.... (and by then they will probably be making 16K....)

1080 HD has been around for 15 years and even now the only domestic source that even come close to fully exploiting what a 1080 displays can provide is Bluray, and only a handful of Bluray titles do that.

99.99% of Hollywood movies dont challenge the limits of Bluray so its going to be quite while before you will have anything useful to view in anything like true 4K.

Remember, pixels DO NOT equal "resolution", and thats plainly obvious when viewing Bluray as the visible difference between most titles and the very best is LARGE., even though all have the same pixel count.

Youtube "4K" video is another case in point, it has obviously less actual "resolution" than a good Bluray, even though the pixel count is 400% higher.

Edited by Owen

Bluray 1080p always looks better than DVD 576p even for bad transfers. I wonder if this will be true of 4k?

I have a 4K media server here from Sony and on a 4K projector it completely wipes the floor with blu ray - on a large screen that is.

It's actually kind of sad watching it because you know you're missing out knowing what they could deliver to us if they chose to.