Changes To Foxtel Packages Soon

The most obvious change is the content-devaluation of the 'existing' Essentials line-up to make additional tier-purchase more likely.

At first glance, securing all my favourite channels will 'seemingly' cost me $65pm. BUT then there's another $10pm for the HD versions of my fave channels - bringing the cost up to $75pm.

I'm not sure if the current IQ2 is included in the subsription cost for existing customers!???? But the IQ3 sure as hades won't be so that'll likely be an additional 5-10 dollars pm.

Nor am I convinced that there won't be an across-the-board percentage-based price-rise in December of this year (once a new intake of subscribers has been locked-in for 12 months)

So at this stage of the game, my early impression of the proposed packages is a 'smoke & mirrors' scenario. Make it appear that the price has dramatically dropped, when the final and actual cost of securing channels which one currently has in the 'old' structure is about the same (the lack of reduction in the price of the 'Platinum' package is testament this). Content-wise, however, it's obvious that I'm going to be relying even more on downloads than I have hitherto been.

Cynical? No! Realistic? Yes!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree Harlequin. The Foxtel press releases are so full of Waffle it isn't funny. Obviously this is to hide the reality of the situation.

Personally I am currently on Platinum so no change in price but the extra HD channels and standardisation of the Fox Sports channels is long overdue.

I also currently have a Telstra bundle including Foxtel so will be keen to see what the triple play offer is.

Not going to do anything at this stage.

Personally I am currently on Platinum so no change in price

Only if you don't request it? My understanding is that existing customers can request the lower price (and get the same channels) but Foxtel won't be doing it proactively.

Cynicism of Foxtel aside. It is a business model facing significant headwind and this seems to be a pretty good first volley IMO. Foxtel may well end up a bit like Telstra, charging a premium for being just a little bit better than its competitors.

$25 certainly lowers the entry price barrier for many households but leaves Foxtel plenty of room to upsell addons like sport and HD etc. Like many services, the biggest hurdle Foxtel faces is getting people to go through the hassle of joining. After people adjust to the monthly fee its pretty wasy to drip feed special deals to get them signing onto more (after all what's an extra tenner a month?)

It will be interesting to see if pushing the IQ remains a focus. Recently Foxtel realised that people stuck in its ecosphere (i.e. go used to using its PVR) were much less likely to churn. But with the new internet and mobile platforms this might be less needed.

Anyway, definitely an aggressive price point leading into Christmas.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

As I only have essentials+sport+HD mine will drop from $84 to $60 p.m.

However the loss of Disney and Nickelodeon will not go down well with the young uns.

Go on. $10 to keep them happy. Small price for monthly babysitting.

I posted this elsewhere but feel so strongly about this I'm posting it here too:

So where is all the extra bandwidth coming from to feed the extra HD channels. I suspect it's being taken from other channels as usual.

Personally my biggest Foxtel gripe is (lack of) picture quality. Apart from HD Sport channels all other HD channels look no better than DVD. Their 'HD' channels do look better than their non-HD but that's because their non-HD channels look bloody awful.

Now feed Foxtel to your new large screen TV. How does that look? No wonder I haven't watched much Foxtel recently. Picture quality stinks. (Just imagine those poor folks buying 4k TV based on the 4k demos then seeing Foxtel on their new TV...)

As soon as AU gets a decent HD streaming service Foxtel are gone!

Good to see a History HD channel as it will be an improvement on current version.

I think they will move showcase for 'current subscribers' into the current Essentials package, if I understood their press release correctly.

But the new Drama package seems like a rip-off given the channels and amount of channels.

I think they will move showcase for 'current subscribers' into the current Essentials package, if I understood their press release correctly.

But the new Drama package seems like a rip-off given the channels and amount of channels.

That's how I read it too.

Confusing.

As I only have essentials+sport+HD mine will drop from $84 to $60 p.m. However the loss of Disney and Nickelodeon will not go down well with the young uns.

Go on. $10 to keep them happy. Small price for monthly babysitting.

Or offer the kids $5 a month in instead of buying the channel.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The drama pack doesn't have many channels but showcase, BBC First and FX do have a lot of good shows

Good news Foxtel has new transponders,this from Foxtel community after I posted about the HD bandwidth issue

For those like yourself that are super savvy around this sort of thing.. we've bought a whole new transponder, securing more space so there will be no impact to existing quality of current or new HD channels.

cheers laurie