Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

2014 Marantz

The Dolby Surround is a definite step up in my books. I always found the prologic to sound kinda fake, I actually preferred not to use it on my previous Denon. But on this SR7009 the Dolby Surround is excellent, it just adds to the experience. The Dolby system now seems much more complete and the receiver presents it that way as well. No more lots of choices with Plz just a simple Dolby Surround if you want it and it works well.

The trick now is to try and find a decent blu-ray with Atmos, I bought Transformers but have not yet sat down and watched it again since getting the Marantz. I don't think I should have watched it when I got it (the movie), as I didn't really like it. I also have Expendables 3 coming from the UK (no Atmos on the Aussie version), and everyone says that's terrible as well. I do hope we get a decent movie with Atmos soon, one I can sit down and appreciate.

Hi all, Im hoping this is the right place to post (didn't want to bother and start a new thread) I imported a SR7009, but think I have a really dodgy knock off in a legit case. Can anyone please be kind enough to send me a pic of the rear of an australian one, only really interested in the Model and serial number

Thanks

Hi all, Im hoping this is the right place to post (didn't want to bother and start a new thread) I imported a SR7009, but think I have a really dodgy knock off in a legit case. Can anyone please be kind enough to send me a pic of the rear of an australian one, only really interested in the Model and serial number

Thanks

http://www.qualifi.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_genx_SR.tpl&product_id=39738&category_id=140&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=237

From where did you import ? valuebasket?

Hey sten, as I mentioned in the PM, I can't really get a pic of the back of my Marantz, however if you want to post a pic of yours I could most probably spot differences. Not sure what the model/serial is going to tell you.

Thanks Parsec will do. Its more the typing/ font that looks a little dodgy, like its a stick been put there not printed/stamped on. I will take a pic after the x-mas festivities and send it to you Parsec. Thanks.

been doing a bit of reading on the new marantz gear.

7702 - No HDCP 2.2 = basically means when 4k bluray players are out you will need to upgrade or bypass your pre pro to get past the copy protection.

8802 - speculation is HDCP 2.2 is not included but will be available via hardware upgrade. Ala shell out another $500 for an upgraded Hdmi board.

Options: For true 4k playback. You will need a 4k projector with hdcp 2.2 , a avr or pre pro with hdcp 2.2 or bypass it. , bluray player with hdcp 2.2

Im assuming Oppo will release a true 4k player with 2 hdmi outputs again with hdcp 2.2 , this is what i mean about bypassing the avr / pre pro. You just send the sound to the avr/pre pro via 1 of the hdmi ports and you send the video straight to the projector with hdcp 2.2

Thanks

Doubt very much that it's a "knock off", but if through Valuebasket it will be a grey import (i.e. legitimate product, but not through the official Australian distributor - main implications are that the warranty support will be through Valuebasket [don't know if they're any good or not] and post warranty, you won't be able to source parts through the Australian distributor or their approved repairers).

been doing a bit of reading on the new marantz gear.

7702 - No HDCP 2.2 = basically means when 4k bluray players are out you will need to upgrade or bypass your pre pro to get past the copy protection.

8802 - speculation is HDCP 2.2 is not included but will be available via hardware upgrade. Ala shell out another $500 for an upgraded Hdmi board.

Options: For true 4k playback. You will need a 4k projector with hdcp 2.2 , a avr or pre pro with hdcp 2.2 or bypass it. , bluray player with hdcp 2.2

Im assuming Oppo will release a true 4k player with 2 hdmi outputs again with hdcp 2.2 , this is what i mean about bypassing the avr / pre pro. You just send the sound to the avr/pre pro via 1 of the hdmi ports and you send the video straight to the projector with hdcp 2.2

Speculation, speculation, speculation....

Doesn't really matter, as you have noted when they do finally decide on a format and specification, if you want their 4k you are most probably going to be up for new gear anyway. Some people have asked me why i didn't hold off for another year to get 4k stuff. Actually that's the reason i held off last year - because they were talking about 4k then.

It doesn't really matter what or when you buy, the probabilities are always against the consumer and we will all have been screwed in one form or another with our purchases. Besides when they finally do start releasing this 'marvelous' 4k stuff it will be in dribs and drabs with nothing exciting until a year into it.

It's fact from people in the know. Not speculation ;)

Umm, you said yourself in that post "Im assuming Oppo will release a true 4k player with 2 hdmi.. (etc) " An assumption is speculation.

I don't understand what your post is about anyway, we could also talk about heaps of other HT tech items being released on the market that don't have HDCP 2.2 or a proper HDmi 2.0 or whatever.

IMHO, there are two kinds of hobbyists... those who suffer from LAGS: 'latest and greatest syndrome' and they don't mind using something cutting edge, and sell it off when something comes along

Those who won't buy anything until it's established...

It's early days yet, so no view is wrong... Things could change a lot when Auro / DTS-HD / 4k really comes online... but why worry?

If one needs an amp right now, there's no better time. The SR 7009 is a good amp, regardless of Atmos / HDCP 2.2...

It's hard to future proof things in HT... unlike Stereo amps, where one amp can last for the next ten years.

Umm, you said yourself in that post "Im assuming Oppo will release a true 4k player with 2 hdmi.. (etc) " An assumption is speculation.

I don't understand what your post is about anyway, we could also talk about heaps of other HT tech items being released on the market that don't have HDCP 2.2 or a proper HDmi 2.0 or whatever.

Hi parsec ; it would be an almost guaranteed bet the oppo will have twin hdmi outs like the 93/103 before it so while speculation I wouldnt worry :twitch: . What was said about hdcp 2.2 is spot on though and pioneers marketing manager has spoken of this situation at avs forum

Manufacturers rush in

The chipset used is the Silicon Image SiL9679, currently the only solution available to any equipment manufacturer. The catch is that the SiL9679 doesn't support the full 4K 4:4:4: colour space; it's a compromise 4:2:0 solution, created for deployment in UHD displays.Home cinema manufacturers have been rushing to release new AV receivers with 4K capable HDMIs, yet only one AVR brand has implemented HDCP 2.2 and that's Onkyo. Five of its new receivers, plus one processor, offer the copy protection, albeit on a single HDMI (STB/DVR).

This, I was told by representatives of both Yamaha and Denon is why their AV receivers don't implement the SI solution: 'We want to offer our customers the ultimate 4K experience," they told me as if one "and that means ensuring our 4K HDMI products support the full 4:4:4 colourspace."

The message to buyers is that they can be future-proofed with Onkyo, but possibly sacrifice some colour fidelity - or gamble with its rivals and potentially revel in all the colours that technology allows (just for fun let's assume that we'll be able to tell the difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0).

Of course the usual 4K caveats apply. There is no 4:4:4: UHD content available (maybe Blu-ray 4K discs will offer it, if studios ever agree to launch them).

As pete says if we all waited for the next great thing we would forgoe what can be experienced now ...