2014 Marantz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atmos!!! I watched Edge of Tomorrow at Crown last weekend in their Atmos theatre. Sweet jesus it was impressive! Been a while since ive been impressed by movie theatre sound systems but this was definitely an eye/ear opener. Nn idea when they will be able to bring this technology to domestic markets though. The system they use at crown is a Datasat.

Atmos!!! I watched Edge of Tomorrow at Crown last weekend in their Atmos theatre. Sweet jesus it was impressive! Been a while since ive been impressed by movie theatre sound systems but this was definitely an eye/ear opener. Nn idea when they will be able to bring this technology to domestic markets though. The system they use at crown is a Datasat.

I'm jealous mate! Really want to experience Atmos.

The new Marantz range do look very interesting, I wonder if they will sound a bit warmer than the Denons...

Edited by Eli

Theres a rumor there are hidden atmos tracks on certain bd discs already mmu ; find out when the decoders turn up . Theoretically possible because dolby truehd can carry it in it's metadata as Roger Dressler has mentioned iirc ; this is all subsequent to this -

When asked when we could expect some form of this technology in the home theater environment, Dolby reps said they are committed to leveraging the Atmos technology for home use, but there is no immediate timeline as to when this will come and what it will look like. I asked Gary Epstein, Product Marketing Manager, Professional Content Tools, about whether it would be possible to encode Atmos height channel information into a standard Dolby TrueHD 7.1-channel mix using Dolby ProLogic IIz matrix encoding, so it could be delivered on a standard Blu-ray Disc. He said that this is one option they are exploring, but not the only one. A Blu-ray Disc actually has up to 16 channels available in Dolby TrueHD (a 7.1 channel main track, a 5.1-channel alternate track and a 2-channel stereo track). Although there is not currently any way to access all of these channels at the same time (at least not yet), a solution like this, or like PLIIz-encoding could conceivably work with existing Blu-ray standards.

Note denon/marantz are technology partners with auro3d so atmos may not be mentioned much atm ; let alone dts uhd :question:

Auro Technologies’ official partners have earned a widespread reputation for offering the highest quality sound reproduction available in home cinema, gaming, automotive and mobile platforms. Some of Auro Technologies’ official partners include: Audiokinetic, California Audio Technology (CAT), Continental, Datasat Digital Entertainment, Denon & Marantz, McIntosh Laboratory, Steinway Lyngdorf (SL Audio) and StormAudio.

From what I saw at Village Cinemas VMax at Crown, their Atmos set up has 3 rows of speakers on the ceiling, going front to back. Then there are 2 rows of speakers on each side. Since they use AT screens I'm not sure how many speakers are on the front stage. Also, there were 6 very large (assuming subwoofers) on each side, higher up near the ceiling. I guess there are more on the front and back of the cinema. All in all, absolute HEAPS of speakers. The atmos demo by Dolby (they played it about 3 times...showoffs!) was amazing. You can literally feel the sound moving (LFE too) from side to side, back to forward and critically, Up and down/vertically. I asked one of the guys who work there what the new system was and he said it was a dataset (think he meant Datasat) and that they had people fly down from the US to set it up. Would highly recommend anyone in Melbourne to visit Crown one of these days. Also, Hoyts in Chadstone has been closed for renovations - new Atmos setup coming in.

However I dont think you would get the full atmos experience in a home theatre - atmos has 64 channels after all..

From what I saw at Village Cinemas VMax at Crown, their Atmos set up has 3 rows of speakers on the ceiling, going front to back. Then there are 2 rows of speakers on each side. Since they use AT screens I'm not sure how many speakers are on the front stage. Also, there were 6 very large (assuming subwoofers) on each side, higher up near the ceiling. I guess there are more on the front and back of the cinema. All in all, absolute HEAPS of speakers. The atmos demo by Dolby (they played it about 3 times...showoffs!) was amazing. You can literally feel the sound moving (LFE too) from side to side, back to forward and critically, Up and down/vertically. I asked one of the guys who work there what the new system was and he said it was a dataset (think he meant Datasat) and that they had people fly down from the US to set it up. Would highly recommend anyone in Melbourne to visit Crown one of these days. Also, Hoyts in Chadstone has been closed for renovations - new Atmos setup coming in.

However I dont think you would get the full atmos experience in a home theatre - atmos has 64 channels after all..

Really not trying to derail the Myrantz thread, but MMU, you can read about the install here: http://www.krix.com.au/blog/Village-Crown-choose-Krix-for-Dolby-Atmos/ . Cheers.

Eli thanks for the link, that sounds Amazing! I might fly down and catch a movie soon. It doesnt say what power amps they are using to drive it though :( This is where i think active speakers will take off even more. Who wants 64 mono blocks lol

Are all movies at Crown Atmos? I would only go for the experience no matter what movies is on.

Are all movies at Crown Atmos? I would only go for the experience no matter what movies is on.

No, if I recall correctly only two of the 10 or so theaters are Atmos and they are the biggest ones and therefore needed it.

One of them had horrid sound, with faulty drivers in a couple if speakers, so was overdue for a refurb.

No, if I recall correctly only two of the 10 or so theaters are Atmos and they are the biggest ones and therefore needed it.

One of them had horrid sound, with faulty drivers in a couple if speakers, so was overdue for a refurb.

Correct, its only 2 cinemas. The VMax ones. Cinema 5 and 6 I believe. Gonna watch Transformers and Godzilla next weekend!!

Edited by mmu16

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/news/pages/newsdetails.aspx?newsid=124

The newest line of Marantz AVR’s which are expected to be available in September have been developed to deliver captivating, multi-dimensional sound with Dolby Atmos. The SR7009 and the AV7702 (October) models will be the first Marantz products to feature Dolby Atmos.

With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth.

All Dolby Atmos compatible Marantz products will have the processing power to run a more enveloping, Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibrated 9 channel Dolby Atmos layout using 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 configurations utilizing ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 5.1.4 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 7.1.2 configuration is based on a 7.1 speaker layout with 2 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.

The AV 8802 won't be the first processor with Atmos, that falls to it's brother, the 7702:

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/news/marantz-dolby-atmos-receivers/1574

“Only Dolby Atmos delivers multi-dimensional sound that fills the room to make every detail come alive, whether it is the roar of a racecar speeding around the track, the whisper of wind, or an arrow shot across the room. It’s a ground-breaking achievement for home theaters”

Don Freeman, Vice President Global Marketing at D+M

Marantz-AV7702-prepro-650x275.jpg

Marantz AV7702 Preamp Processor

The AV7702 preamp will have the processing capability to support a full 11 channel Dolby Atmos setup; taking advantage of 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos configurations. A 7.1.4 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 7.1 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.

• 3 weeks later...