Image Retention On Panasonic Vt 60

Hey guys a newbie here

I came across this thread while searching around for some answers to my new but crappy problem :( Which is the same problem that it seems many others have... the bloody fox footy logo on my 2 month old 55VT60. I've purposely been extremely careful from day 1 so I haven't touched any colour settings whatsoever, I left it on normal viewing mode obviously with pixel orbitor on. I watched varied content to mix it up. With my situation atm my tv is on 12 hours a day so it's had plenty of time to break-in with mixed viewing material. I haven't changed any of my habits at all but after watching the port vs freo final last night I've ended up with this IR though I've never had any issues before this & I haven't done anything different. I'm wondering if their is an issue with this set specifically seeing as I did not have any high settings & it wasn't an extended period of time just the game & maybe 20 or so mins on pause at half time.

As some others have with theirs it's only visible on white & grey but it's still bloody annoying & now it's in my head I can't concentrate on what I'm watching. This morning I ran those break-in slides for a brief period & thought better of it figuring I'd be better using the scroll/wipe function so I did that for about 45mins when I was out then watched a bit of UFC for 1 hour while I went for a run on the treadmill though I was worried then about the FuelTV logo & guess what I got some IR from that too although very slight but it's there so now I've had a chance to run the scroll/wipe function for close to 2 hours & the fuel tv is getting better but the fox footy doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm thinking I'll watch a 16:9 bluray now & a bit of free to air later before bed & then leave the scroll/wipe on all night is that a good idea or is that too long to leave it running? I feel like I might need to do this every night for a while & if still no luck I'm gonna try the retailer that I bought it from or panasonic who have been good to deal with previously but this might be problematic as we all know their stance on IR & Burn In even being in the manual but that won't deter me.

Any thoughts & advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im in the same boat. I have a Samsung PS58C7000 (plasma, panel replaced twice for purple haze) and out of nowhere this weekend i have IR for Fox Sports HD top right of screen. I cannot believe i watch enough to cause it and my settings have been the same for years. Fox must have changed their logo. I am so gutted. I have a noisey/static Screensaver running over tonight to see if it helps. Otherwise what is this other IR reducing video ppl are using?

Sorry to say guys but there is no cure to the insidious beast that is the foxtel sport logos on a plasma tv.They are so aggressive in there nature that you only need to watch a single game to burn the logo in for months or maybe forever.I have worked on a Samsung F8500 for six months to get rid of the foxtel logo and it is very much diminished but also very obviously still there.I to was careful to always watch mixed content but it only took a few games of EPL to murder my screen.You can send a complaint to foxtel but they will just give you the same BS response they give everyone within 5 working days of receiving your complaint and do nothing about it.

Any thoughts & advice would be greatly appreciated.

i have IR for Fox Sports HD top right of screen.

IR is temporary... burn in is not. If utilities like JScreenFix don't work after a while... then it's burn in.

The "Pixel Orbiter" function directly contradicts Pana's own manual that says they don't cover burn in. Why have a function that prevents something they don't cover? This would also contradict consumer laws... so if it doesn't go away I'd be pushing them on a warranty claim via the retailer.

JSmith :ninja:

My one is samsung plasma ps58c7000, panel was replaced a few months ago under extended warranty for purple haze, and it does not have pixel orbitor. It has some plasma burn in protection which i had on but i don't think it does anything for superbright watermarks.

It has some plasma burn in protection which i had on but i don't think it does anything for superbright watermarks.

No it doesn't really... but that's not the point. ;)

The Fox sports channels have these bright and colourful logo's to protect their content... they pay alot of money for sport broadcast rights.

No it doesn't really... but that's not the point. ;)

The Fox sports channels have these bright and colourful logo's to protect their content... they pay alot of money for sport broadcast rights.

We pay money for TV's too...

So how do you protect yourself from this lunacy of the Fox Sports HD logo? Do you have to avoid plasma entirely? I would buy a new tv immediately if i didnt have a pricey 5 week holiday next month and knew which TV to replace it with.

Cool bananas, i'll do that tonight. Will also try software update. I have been reading a lot on here and elsewhere the past 2 days... seems to be, if i can tolerate this and hold out for OLED or some sort of super specials leading in to xmas, that might be preferable. On the flip side, consensus seems to be that the current LCD/LED provide a generally inferior picture regardless of what deal i would get. If i could snag a plasma such as the F85000... i have the same problem/risk with Fox Sports HD image retention as had hit my current plasma.

We pay money for TV's too...

So how do you protect yourself from this lunacy of the Fox Sports HD logo? Do you have to avoid plasma entirely? I would buy a new tv immediately if i didnt have a pricey 5 week holiday next month and knew which TV to replace it with.

Oh I agree... just pointing out the reason for the logo. Foxtel are not concerned about their viewers TV's TBH... I can't stand the way Foxtel operate and wouldn't bother paying for it anyway, YMMV.

Have you tried JScreenFix?

http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

Yeah i tried jscreenfix or 1 night. I'll give it another go, amongst every other thought that pops into mind. Have downloaded several types of test files supposedly for reducing IR etc so just keep them going in vein.

Thought i found a boxed F8500 but it was display model only. Booooo :(

EDIT: Got a response from Foxtel.... basically palming off, not our fault, follow your tv directions to prevent this and such tripe and giving a meaningless $30 credit. Escalation point for it seems to be Fare Trading or NCAT. Here we go..

Edited by Xizor

Cool bananas, i'll do that tonight. Will also try software update. I have been reading a lot on here and elsewhere the past 2 days... seems to be, if i can tolerate this and hold out for OLED or some sort of super specials leading in to xmas, that might be preferable.

OLED is not the answer. OLED pixels decay to half brightness 3 times faster than Plasma so burn in risk is significantly greater.

Splendid. Well, that'll do me, it's all too hard.

Just did a factory reset on the PS58C7000... no change... did software update... no change. All as expected. After the software update there is a pixel shift option though which was not there before... ugh... maybe this could have saved the tv. :(

Any thoughts on how low i need to set cell light / contrast / brightness to mitigate further burn in? I had cell light at 18, contrast 90, brightness 50, movie mode, Warm 1, most of the filters/features turned off.... something like that...

I guess i could prey for the purple haze to come back before November when my extended warranty expires... LOL

Splendid. Well, that'll do me, it's all too hard.

Just did a factory reset on the PS58C7000... no change... did software update... no change. All as expected. After the software update there is a pixel shift option though which was not there before... ugh... maybe this could have saved the tv. :(

Any thoughts on how low i need to set cell light / contrast / brightness to mitigate further burn in? I had cell light at 18, contrast 90, brightness 50, movie mode, Warm 1, most of the filters/features turned off.... something like that...

I guess i could prey for the purple haze to come back before November when my extended warranty expires... LOL

Contrast at 90..................Isn't that extreme ? Wouldn't somewhere around 50 be about the norm ?

Such a high contrast setting would surely burn a logo in.

C.M

Contrast set at 90 with cell light at 18 on the C7000 is pushing pretty hard.

Its interesting that Samsung pretty much cured this issue with the F8500 by making the active area of each phosphor pixel much larger. The greater active phosphor area gives of much more light for the same input which means that at an output level where other full HD Plasmas are being pushed hard the F8500 is just cruising and at little risk of IR or burn in.

Its a shame that this development came to late to save Plasma

It's on the higher end, but it seemed to be the norm for this tv around 80-90 (dynamic contrast turned off, brightness 50). Basically everyone on here and other forums seemed to be setting it up similarily, though some had dynamic contrast on and gamma +1 i think. Had it since 2010 without IR or burn in issues at all until now... Happy to try tweaked settings based on recommendations though!

Contrast at 90..................Isn't that extreme ? Wouldn't somewhere around 50 be about the norm ?

Such a high contrast setting would surely burn a logo in.

C.M

I am not sure if contrast at 90 is a bit too high.. On my Samsung D8000 I have the contrast set at 85, brightness at 38 and cell light at 16.

I am not sure if contrast at 90 is a bit too high.. On my Samsung D8000 I have the contrast set at 85, brightness at 38 and cell light at 16.

This is a very good read and deals with the ' in's and the out's ' of it all, a bit technical, but is for those interested.

http://www.displaymate.com/ShootOut_Part_2.htm

C.M

Edited by Tweet