Accessing A Service Menu On A Projector To Adjust Slight Convergence Issuse

Accessing Service Menu on the Hecto to see if there is a Convergence adjustment. (Under warranty LG will fix it not me but at the same time I like to learn)

I have finally got into my service menu of my LG Hecto Laser projector (via my Harmony 700 remote) to see if I can find an adjustment for slight convergence issues. How I achieved this was by using the same code (from Harmony.com) being used by the 84 inch UHD LED LCD being the UHD LG 84 LM9600. Now when I press my Harmony remote and bring up the option "SERVICE MENU" a box appears on the screen and I punch the usual recommended number being 0413 and bingo a service menu appears. The Service menu "EZ Adjust NOT INSTART" looks like nothing like what my Hecto projector should be as if I look at the EZ Adjust menu it shows that this menu has 4 HDMI's the Hecto has 3 only. The menu shows that it has Local dimming, the projector has NO local dimming, The Menu shows its back lit, there is no such thing as backlit on a projection tv, Its show that its 3D the Hecto is not 3D now this is just some of the confusion that i'm witnessing but at the same time I have noticed that when I have the Option 3D its set at 0, the Option of the 4th HDMI that doesn't exits its set at 0, so on and so on.

I also now have the Service manual for the Hecto and it shows (few photo's)that you have two different menu's one being the EZ Adjust looks EXACTLY like what's on the screen of my Hecto and by the look at it the one I have not found yet (haven't had a look for it yet) being IN START. and the INSTART one is the one that has familiar settings (as shown in the Service Manual) related to the Hecto Laser Projector"eg" Projector Options and other.

1/ Question

Now am I going MAD all because I used a code for another TV that is bringing up the wrong menu or is this a Norm that a menu pops up with options that are not even on your display/projector.

2/ Question

How do you access, or find, get into the IN START menu? Do I need a Special remote control to use after you have accessed the service menu to get into IN START.

By the way I have lived into my other LG's service menu's, have done adjustments mainly the oversizing and geometry and convergence issues on the 71SA1d and the MW 60 and till today I continually check them as we still have the two 71sa1d's (sold the MW 60 mate still has it working) and I have like the Hecto photographed all menu's and backed them up on three computers just in case if ever needed.

Thanks

I bought one of these to access the service menu in mine http://futuregatetec...c778b5e.JPG It was $50 (give or take). It has the relevant buttons on it. I could send it up if you want to borrow it. Although if you tinker lots, you might want to buy your own.

The service menu's on LG's are quite generic, for example, my 2D LED/LCD has options to enable 3D and THX settings.

Edited by davep

I half expected that LG might use some sort of an generic service menu. All I need to know is once i'm in the service menu how do you switch from EZ_Adjust to IN_Start as by the look at my Service manual in_Start is where all the Action is for my Hecto. So the Service remote you have does it have the EZ_Adjust and IN_Start buttons?

Oppps I should have looked at your pics first,(IN_Start) I looked at ebay and you can't buy one locally. eKKKKK

Edited by Blackman

yep, if you look at the buttons, left above the arrowpad, one says instart, the other adj. My logitech remote has the ezadjust option on the display as default, there might be a discreet code for the instart one too if you jump on the harmony manager program thing.

I cant remember from memory how to access one from the other, i'd have to give it a shot again.

Thanks davep

I'm one of those old retired people that like stuffing around with anything. If I can't buy one (LG 105-201) for a sensible price say up to $80 i migh have to fish around maybe at Harmony remotes to see if anyone has the codes or has made an activity with this IN_Start in it.

I bought mine here http://www.statewideapp.com.au it doesn't appear on their website any more, but you could call/email and ask

Just rang them and they say they are out of stock and have to re=order them but as far as I know they stopped making the 105-201M a while ago. I have purchased SMP Supplies from them even that I knew they did not exist anymore but they still took my money only for them to tell me months later that Spare parts (SMPS) are not available for this other model I had. Someone in OZ must have one sitting in their store or warehouse

davep

Well I have purchased one of these LG 105-201M remotes from the other side of the planet since I could not find one here (i bet one pops up later, story of my life)

I was just wondering if you can explain to me the way this LG 105-201M accesses both the menu's being EZ-Adjust and IN_Start.

Does it:::

1/ You hit the EZ_Adjust button on the remote (actually the ADJ button) and the box pops up on your screen, you put in the 0413 in and EZ_Adjust menu only pops up.

2/ You hit the IN_Start button on the remote and the box pops up on your screen, you put the 0413 in and the IN_Start menu only pops up.

3/ You hit the EZ_Adjust button on the remote (actually the ADJ button) and the box pops up on your screen you put in 0413 and the EZ_Adjust menu pops up and whilst this menu is up you press IN_Start button and the Menu changes from EZ_Adjust to IN_Start menu.

Now which one of the combo's is it or is it something else.

Thanks.

Blackman,

Your LG is a single chip DLP so convergence errors are impossible. If you see colour fringing it will be due to chromatic aberrations, which are a lens issue and normally a limitation of the design, although the lens may be out of spec and require replacement.

Three chip projectors don't have electronic convergence adjustment either as the ONLY way to converge a fixed pixel imaging system is the physically adjust the alignment of the imaging chips in the light engine, which is not normally done or doable outside the factory.

The so called "convergance" adjustment found in some three chip projectors use adjacent pixels to cancel out colour fringing which is effectively a blur function not "convergance" as two or more pixels are going to do the job of one.

Without pixel blending you can only shift a colour in full pixel increments. So if you get a half pixel error its not correctable without blur.

Three chip projectors with half pixel errors are defective and should be replaced.

Edited by Owen

Once again Owen thanks for your info

Yes after reading the Hecto Service manual and the Hecto Training manual it explains all that its a single chip DLP. They also explain about this " colour fringing" which I didn't bother reading as I was looking for Convergence but the word convergence doesn't exits in either Hecto manuals. I will have to go back and read the page on Color Fringing. I have learnt a lot with these manuals even minor thing like (Adjusting you Focus after Installation) yes you must check your focus after installation, No not the dynamic Focus they are talking about a very critical setting found in the nose of the projector lense which takes one minute to do as all you need is to use the supplied philips screw driver, Yes supplied by LG with a very fine pitch, Enter you normal menu and shut off the auto dimming of the Laser in case if you stick your head in front of the Laser (safety), Remove a small plastic cover over the neck of the lense (small screw) and once you do this you will see a ring like a focus ring on a camera. You loosen a locking screw with your supplied screw driver so the collar will go left and right, enter your service menu, select the Focus/Sharpness test pattens and you go for it.

I wonder how many Harvey Norman installers do this. I bet NONE.

My old LG LCoS rear pro's (3 chip)have convergence adjustments for both vert and horz , I didn't know what method was used to achieve the line convergence adjustment. Hummmm all this is interesting and I will post something interesting and confusing in another thread.

Edited by Blackman

Blackman,

Your LG is a single chip DLP so convergence errors are impossible. If you see colour fringing it will be due to chromatic aberrations,

Well after reading all about chromatic aberrations I did plenty of reading about this matter and I was attracted to the set of pictures in wikipedia just down from the top. Look at the second and third one,

http://en.wikipedia....atic_aberration

it nearly the same as whats in the service manual so after reading it I got suspicious and I got the tape measure out and I remeasured my JIG that I made to give me the exact size of 550 mm and I found 558 MM. I stuffed up in the making of this JIG that saddles over the HECTO and measures the distance from the nose of the Hecto to the screen (PS have a look at the PICS on my other thread so you can see what I'm talking about) . I re-adjusted the HECTO to 550MM and the chromatic aberrations are 95% gone. As lousy 8mm was causing this BUT!! because I positioned the Hecto 8MM closer to the screen the picture is now slightly lower than the screen so I will have to either Lift the Hecto cabinet X amount of MM's or I will have to drop the Screen X amount of MM's. The price and time we pay for prefection.

Edited by Blackman

After looking at that second and third pic in Wikipedia you can see the focus distance is very inportant because if you are out or you have a stuffed lense you wonder why you have this problem of the colours being all over the place once you are either before or after the focal point.

Edited by Blackman