Sign in to follow this  
gia

Sonus Faber new flagship: The secret is in the box...

The Italians do it in style! I have never ever seen an unveiling of a speaker before. This must be a first with paparazzi and all!

I'm a bit surprised they have moved away with their traditional approach with this one. I've always felt it was clever to craft a speaker that looks like a fine musical instrument.

Personally not a fan of the looks. Especially the chromey metal one. Looks tacky as

Personally not a fan of the looks. Especially the chromey metal one. Looks tacky as

Certainly a departure from the normal SF look , more Germanic than Italian in styling.

I have to say i am a bit dissapointed.

They look wonderfull & SF have raised the bar on the quality, materials & prescense this speaker offrers, but for me, it doesn't look like a traditional SF speaker and its basic design looks just like every other speaker.

Imagine Ferrari making a new Ferrari that was styled like a Commodore or Falcon.

I'm furious. :)

Placed my order and SF told me they were sold out, very disappointed, although I do still get to live in my house! :)

Dirty.

I have to say i am a bit dissapointed.

They look wonderfull & SF have raised the bar on the quality, materials & prescense this speaker offrers, but for me, it doesn't look like a traditional SF speaker and its basic design looks just like every other speaker.

Imagine Ferrari making a new Ferrari that was styled like a Commodore or Falcon.

Must say that I have to agree... though perhaps more like Ferrari building a car styled by VW (Phaeton) or Maybach (shudder) ...

I feel that Serblin's departure has not been kind to SF and they have lost a bit of their magic - first their house sound and now the design.

AB

Guest indiancurry
Must say that I have to agree... though perhaps more like Ferrari building a car styled by VW (Phaeton) or Maybach (shudder) ...

AB

The Porsche was inspired by the flowery Beetle, as for Maybach have you seen the latest Maclaren? :love

Does anyone know what track is playing in the audition video? I'd like to hear more

Guest guru
Does anyone know what track is playing in the audition video? I'd like to hear more

hugh masekela "stimela"

the coal train song

I am abviously a biased fan, but these leave me a little cold

Where is the sex appeal and timeless beauty of the other Sonus faber speakers?

some more pics down the page

http://www.audionet.com.tw/blog.article/view/sn/140

Franco Serblin the designer of Sonus Faber's Stradiveri and Guarneri Homage among others has just developed another Hi-End speaker.

Ktêma

I am abviously a biased fan, but these leave me a little cold

Where is the sex appeal and timeless beauty of the other Sonus faber speakers?

some more pics down the page

http://www.audionet.com.tw/blog.article/view/sn/140

Franco Serblin the designer of Sonus Faber's Stradiveri and Guarneri Homage among others has just developed another Hi-End speaker.

Ktêma

I'm afraid that you will find Franco Serblin did not design these.

He has left SF some time ago - his last few designs were the original cremona (and cremona auditors), the homage series including the Stradiveri. All subsequent speakers including the Cremona M series, the Memento series, the current liuto series etc... were NOT Franco Serblin designs. As per my post above, I think for better or for worse, SF has departed a bit from their traditional house sound with all these newer speakers. And with these monstrous Fenice, a bit of a departure from their much copied and admired design language. In my opinion the departure (both sound and design) is not so good - it brings them into closer alignment with the other big modern speaker manufacturers (Focal-JM labs, Wilson Audio, etc...)... Kind of throwing away the Italian Soul at the expense of some reliability or accuracy (Alfa 8c anyone?) for the Germanic excellence of Porsche or Audi that lacks some soul. Perhaps that is what the normal "knowledgeable" audiophile wants and they are meeting that market? Of course I have not heard the Felice so I could be way off mark in terms of what they sound like, but their looks do turn me off quite a bit.

AB

yes, I realise that Audiobugged, perhaps I was not clear. That is why I posted his new speaker venture Ktema while he is in semi retirement.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20040[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20041[/ATTACH]

cheers

Edited by turntable