Prime Signal Dropouts Far South Coast

Guest RogCH2

Well, it couldn't have happened at a worst time-The Australian Open! Prime started dropping out on Thursday evening (23//1/14), lasted all day on the Friday, and continued on durig the evening, until the transmission stopped allltogether.

The symptoms were, it would drop out to a black screen and indicate there was no signal, then it would colme back briefly, the sound would be bad, then back to black screen, then after awhile things would return to normal. I called Canberra and was put though to my contact there, but the phone wasn't answered, so I sent a fax, which I am still waiting a reply.\ to.

My thoughts are that when I lost the signal altogether, the techicians had turn the transmitter off, which serviced my area, to fix the problem. I do not know why it took so long to fix,

and wondering if the transmssions are actually monitored or whether they rely on viewers to call in and report the problem.

it would drop out to a black screen and indicate there was no signal, then it would colme back briefly, the sound would be bad, then back to black screen, then after awhile things would return to normal.

Sounds like a classic reception problem, rather than TX one.

I called Canberra and was put though to my contact there,

You have your own?

...when I lost the signal altogether, the techicians had turn the transmitter off, which serviced my area, to fix the problem.

Doubtful.

and wondering if the transmssions are actually monitored or whether they rely on viewers to call in and report the problem.

Most likely no as such except for if it is transmitting regardless of whether there is any actual program, and yes typically.

Have you checked your signal strength and quality? The indications as shown by most TVs and set top boxes is just that, an indication and not an accurate measurement but they can be useful for noticing trends.

Do you know if anyone else in the area had any problems at the same time as yourself?

Edited by hrh

Have you checked your signal strength and quality? The indications as shown by most TVs and set top boxes is just that, an indication and not an accurate measurement but they can be useful for noticing trends.

A good point, and they can also be used as a RFSM (relative field strength meter) to compare one channel against another.

...RFSM (relative field strength meter) to compare one channel against another.

Yes. It's interesting how much variation there can be even between adjacent channels/frequencies.

It went back on air on the Friday night. All my neighbours were affected so it woukd have been a transmission problem.Our signal comes from Buckeridge Hill in Narooma, where it is relayed from Mt Wandera

near Batemans Bay.

Summer atmospheric ducting?

Is this problem still occuring?

And no, apart from some high power main sites, most networks do not have the facilities to monitor smaller transmission sites, except via remote dial-in, self polling for site transmitter control systems.

Far South Coast off-air as far as I am aware is not able to be remotely monitored by any of the networks. Wollongong Knights Hill is monitored occasionally, but not fulltime.

And, yes, various networks mostly rely on viewer phonecalls.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest anthw27

Summer atmospheric ducting?

Is this problem still occuring?

And no, apart from some high power main sites, most networks do not have the facilities to monitor smaller transmission sites, except via remote dial-in, self polling for site transmitter control systems.

Far South Coast off-air as far as I am aware is not able to be remotely monitored by any of the networks. Wollongong Knights Hill is monitored occasionally, but not fulltime.

And, yes, various networks mostly rely on viewer phonecalls.

Yes this problem is still occurring. I live in Sanctuary Point about 30 mins south of Nowra and have experienced this issue over several consecutive nights, they have also reported in the Local rag about it.

They are set to do a retune on both Knights Hill and North Nowra this year Knights Hill retune in March I believe and North Nowra in May or June. Wether it will help is another matter, we will have to wait and see.

I usea Phased antenna as do a lot of homes around me and usually the receiption is Fantastic and we get a excellent cioverage of channels so 99 percent of the time lifes good.