Nice looking new headphone amp

As other thread points out, if you have LCD-2 then wait for Lyr.:(

I have read the Head-Fi thread on the Lyr, and while there is a lot of talk re: "designed for power hungry ortho phones, 600ohm dynamic phones and such", I couldn't see much info as to how it would go with low impedance phones like Alessandro/Grados, and the Denon D_000 range. Will this amp suffer from the same issues of OTL valve amps with low impedance phones? Is it an OTL design?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read the Head-Fi thread on the Lyr, and while there is a lot of talk re: "designed for power hungry ortho phones, 600ohm dynamic phones and such", I couldn't see much info as to how it would go with low impedance phones like Alessandro/Grados, and the Denon D_000 range. Will this amp suffer from the same issues of OTL valve amps with low impedance phones? Is it an OTL design?

If that is the case, then use either Valhalla or Asgard.

• 1 month later...

I had a few emails with one of the owners and he's actually from an advertising background, as am I. He's a smart man because he understands the power of a brand, and also how most audio company's just chest beat when they write their ads. If you write copy which is engaging and treats people with respect and intelligence, then, surprise surprise, people will respond.

I had a few emails with one of the owners and he's actually from an advertising background, as am I. He's a smart man because he understands the power of a brand, and also how most audio company's just chest beat when they write their ads. If you write copy which is engaging and treats people with respect and intelligence, then, surprise surprise, people will respond.

Truth. Unfortunately most clients don't respond in that way.

Anyway, until this turns into ads.net.au I'll just say I'm definitely going to consider the Valhalla when looking for a headphone amp.

Anyone here reviewed them yet?

Truth. Unfortunately most clients don't respond in that way.

Anyway, until this turns into ads.net.au I'll just say I'm definitely going to consider the Valhalla when looking for a headphone amp.

Anyone here reviewed them yet?

Give me around Six months and I'll let you know (gotta update preamp and get a phono stage first). Oh and upgrade my headphones to a pair of Audeze's...

Give me around Six months and I'll let you know (gotta update preamp and get a phono stage first). Oh and upgrade my headphones to a pair of Audeze's...

Well, if you have have your eye on Audeze, then Lyr is the one for you. Valhalla is geared towards AKGs (read high current)

Well, if you have have your eye on Audeze, then Lyr is the one for you. Valhalla is geared towards AKGs (read high current)

Agreed - I am considering the Lyr to drive the Audezes. My Sennheiser HD540 gold references are very old now, and whilst they still work OK, they are cosmetically in poor shape (the earpad cushions are badly degraded, a common issue with this model it seems). Plus, I really do think that they can be easily improved upon by more modern headphones. And, they weren't the best sounding headphones back in the day (they were an impulse buy at the time - $400 reduced from a grand).

Agreed - I am considering the Lyr to drive the Audezes. My Sennheiser HD540 gold references are very old now, and whilst they still work OK, they are cosmetically in poor shape (the earpad cushions are badly degraded, a common issue with this model it seems). Plus, I really do think that they can be easily improved upon by more modern headphones. And, they weren't the best sounding headphones back in the day (they were an impulse buy at the time - $400 reduced from a grand).

Some have already heard the sample test Lyr,seems fine,specially for the price.