The Lighthouse Cinema Build

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the comments/support :)

I am definitely beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Finished the RH screen wall column today and will get onto the left tomorrow.

Did a screen "dry fit" last week and fired up the PJ to check out the vibe. A bit blown away by the increased size - and even with my "play" speakers, it all looked and sounded fantastic. I am quite exited :hyper: - especially when we can knock down the temporary wall and join the new extension to the main house :D

Edited by 709er

Mounted the right screen column today - now ready for plastering :)

Also made the first soffit underside cover-plate to remove any ambient light coming from the star ceiling LED's.

Screen column ready for plastering.jpg

Edited by 709er

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2015 at 11:34 AM, mr-happy-pants said:

The light at the end of the tunnel, may actually be,

someone with a torch carrying more work for you

:lol: So true!

I Have been busy in the room over the last couple of weeks (in between Christmas commitments of course) :)

The front L & R columns are completed - plastered, sealed and painted. No more plaster sanding in the main room - YEY!screen columns painted.jpg

The screen frame is complete and I have remounted the screen to trial the top and bottom masking system. There will be a full width pelmet which will disguise the top mask. The screen casing will all be sprayed flat black and the upper mask will be made of fidelio velvet. The bottom rail will be encased in the same :)

5993f42be7238_screentopmasktrial.thumb.jpg.efbb00ff12222ad685abac9cb892a5ce.jpg5993f42ea1de5_screenfittedframecompleted.thumb.jpg.42e4ffb497ea897263ead293197cb61b.jpg

Really feeling in the groove now with much more minor tasks to address :)

Edited by 709er

Good progress there 709er. :)

Looking fantastic! Not long to go now!

Thanks guys.

looking amazing when do you hope to have it finished?

I am hoping to be watching the "premiere" film in April, though because I have not yet ordered the recliners, we may be sitting on something else!

Been working on some blockout channels for the roller blinds. I am using cedar slats behind and in front of the blind edge. I don't want to have to line the velvet curtains I will be making. The fabric hangs - and looks better without the bulkiness of lining.

I will post some pics of my "blind channels" soon :)

nice work 709 ! April probably couldnt come sooner :)

what is the first movie going to be ...the new star wars film ? or do you have something else in mind.

Force Awakens would be a fitting premiere if it has been released, but at this stage (with what's on hand), it may be a choice between one of the LOTR's, Empire Strikes Back, ROTLA, BTTF, Aliens. Too many awesome films to choose from, :hyper: but you get my general drift :)

Force Awakens would be a fitting premiere if it has been released, but at this stage (with what's on hand), it may be a choice between one of the LOTR's, Empire Strikes Back, ROTLA, BTTF, Aliens. Too many awesome films to choose from, :hyper: but you get my general drift :)

oh so many there indeed.... :) and the choices by then only to be even more I reckon hehe

On 21/12/2015 at 0:08 PM, mr-happy-pants said:

More Easter celebrations

:)

Here are some pics of my blind channels. I have spent the last 2 days building/painting them.

The channels themselves, are made from 4.5mm cedar blind slats. Very straight and quite strong. In this case, I have a 25mm wide channel back made from pine. Just enough width to accommodate the blind dropper on it's downward travel.

Really pleased with the results. 99.99% blockout with only a squidgen of light leaking from where the channel terminates at the top of the window :)

Picked up these blinds on eBay for $20 each. Will probably spray the bottom bar black.

Velvet curtains will be covering these areas as well, so "blackout" will be no problemo :D

Blind channel 3.jpg

Blind channel 2.jpg

Blind channel 1.jpg

Edited by 709er

Ruth could you use some thin strips of that Fidelo fabric to insert inside the blind runners where necessary to cut out even further light breakthough? It may wear out over time though :(

As usual your setting the bar so high no-one else has look in with HT room build by one person :) Great to see and Merry Christmas to you both from us.

On 12/22/2015 at 7:33 PM, :) said:

very good idea with the blinds 709 ! including how they have pelmets ! I can see how they will be pretty effective and no taking chances with the velvet curtains on top of them as well !!!

Thanks. The pelmets are made from cedar slats also. I purchased a heap of timber venetian blinds (on eBay), and I have pulled them to bits over time and used different components for all sorts of jobs :)

On 12/22/2015 at 8:53 PM, agelessgoodguy said:

Ruth could you use some thin strips of that Fidelo fabric to insert inside the blind runners where necessary to cut out even further light breakthough? It may wear out over time though :(

As usual your setting the bar so high no-one else has look in with HT room build by one person :) Great to see and Merry Christmas to you both from us.

Yes. I had thought of that, but decided it was not necessary on the vertical sections after a trial. Merry Christmas to you too :)

On 12/22/2015 at 9:51 PM, Quark said:

Nice work there! :)

Thanks once again. Nice to know that peeps are watching. I hope that some of my ideas are useful to others too. Light control is a big issue!

Managed to attach the timber panels to the screen columns. Happy with the results :)

5993f514432fd_screencolumntimberfeature.thumb.jpg.a2c91ebdb096f43b60bbea8affa1a923.jpg

With Christmas here, I think I will be struggling to get materials I need for some of the next stages such as precision cut mdf for the screen masks/borders and AT fabric for the screen wall. The supplier I used for the first batch (column speaker grills) is "out" of the same fabric, so I will need to purchase again for the whole lot :hmm:

Hope everyone has a great Christmas break and has many moments of HT pleasure :D:rolleyes:

Edited by 709er