Plasma Heat Issues?

My Pioneer LX609A was finally picked up yesterday :( and the only reason the old girl had to go in the end was we've just found it to be too much of a room heater in our small lounge room. Its power consumption was supposedly around the 460W mark in standard mode and you could really feel it add heat to the room on an already hot day. I had ideas of replacing it with a Panasonic VT65 after reading its lower power rating, but after going and looking at one today I'm not so sure. The one I looked at in store was absolutely sizzling around the top of the back of the display, even hotter than the Kuro used to get. Is this normal or is it possible because it was shop stock on display mode or something? Can anyone with a VT65 comment on its heat output? I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed with the build quality also, it all seemed a bit cheap and tinny for a $3,300 tv.

On the other hand if I'm stuck with the fact that plasma just wont cut it in a smaller room because of heat, is my next best option one of the Samsung LED's? I have around $3-3.5K to spend.

I am using a Samsung D8000 series plasma and it is about 3 years old now and it runs pretty cool, slightly warmer than my body temperature but definitely not hot to touch type of warm. So if VT is too hot then have a look at Samsung plasma.

The ratings for my old Pioneer Kuro LX609a were, Dynamic 462W, Standard 459W, Movie 356W

The only ratings I can see for the Panasonics are

65ST Normal (Home) Mode - 199W

65VT Normal (Home) Mode - 222W

Should I be comparing the Standard on the Kuro to the Normal on the Panasonic?

I went to check out some plasmas on the weekend with some concerns about plasma panels and heat. I compared the samsung F8500 plasma and the panasonic st60 plasma. I found the samsung was very hot and this was one of the reasons why I went for the panasonic instead.

...is my next best option one of the Samsung LED's? I have around $3-3.5K to spend.

Yes... check out the Samsung F8000 and the Sony W900a.

The Plasma's you've seen instore are likely set to "torch" mode and so do get hotter than normal home use. Generally though Plasma's run hotter than CCFL and LED LCD's.

JSmith :ninja:

I saw the F8000 but its $5K, so not in the price range. Today I actually had a side by side demo between the 65VT and a 60" F7100. The VT was excellent and not hot like the one I saw the day before. However the 7100 was absolutely shocking. Both were playing a blu-ray of the hobbit. The Samsung LED was just plain awful in comparison, although the overall picture looked sharp there was a real lack of detail. We even paused on around the same frame of Gandalf to compare, and where the VT had great detail on his skin and beard the 7100 looked as though someone had taken to him with the smudge tool in photoshop.

I told him to hold the last VT they had in stock, I'll put up with any heat and go back tomorrow and buy it. $3385 with a 5 year warranty