Measuring Tuner Sensitivity In Tv's

Good morning people.

I have been away for some time and I apologise. I needed to detox after 3 years of AlanH.

Anyhow, I want to know something

I live in the Dandenongs where TV signal can be scrappy. In my living room, we had a 50' Samsung Smart Tv (model unknown). The FTA channels where very intermittent. Even after using a STB, the channels where on and off again like a Kym Kardashian romance

Anyhow, I swapped it out last night for my old Pioneer 507XDA

Straight away, all channels worked, including Ch 31 (which, by the way, you can catch me on this Thursday night at 9:30pm on "The Sledge")

So, my question to you good folk is:

How do I tell the sensitivity of a TV Tuner prior to purchase?

How do I tell the sensitivity of a TV Tuner prior to purchase?

It's a variable that is usually only evident after installation.

Whatever might be printed in a rule book usually has no bearing in reality, since a bare bones sensitivity reading may not take into account modulation parameters, or the signal processing capability of the downstream digital decoder.

maybe just go on recommendations, I had good results with an Ikusi stb when I was in the yarra valley in a dodgy area (my brother in law put up around $1000rrp of aerial and mast and masthead amp for us to get picture). The people across the road were having problems with their stb and we tried the Ikusi and it worked perfect with no pixilation etc. Others may have suggestions for different brands. Hope that helps.

Aze

The major brands these days have tuners that seem to work ok on pretty rubbish signals that a few years back the tvs then wouldn,t be happy at all with.

Saying that the signals have to be up to a Quality level from the antenna for reliable pictures in all weathers.

Some of the smaller cheaper tvs still have some variation in tuner performance in bad signal areas.

If you choose from the 4 or 5 major names I don't think you'll go wrong, the main thing for me these days is the size of the writing and buttons on the remote control.

Some brands have a better info bar and or EPG layout than others.

I don't think tuners are much of an issue these days, and most of my work is in bad signal areas.

Goodluck with it .

Tazzy

• 1 month later...

I'm after exactly the same sort of info. I want a smallish (32") cheap TV to replace a 68cm Sony CRT and TEAC STB at a shack in Aireys Inlet (largely for space considerations, but also to reduce the number of remote controls for my mother - even tempted to get a cheap Soniq with integrated DVD).

For those who know the surf coast the house is down near the estuary, and it sits at the base of the point that the lighthouse is on which presumably causes havoc with the signal. The existing antenna might be about 15m high. TV works about 80% of the time - the rest of the time just get a No Signal message from the STB.

Am I likely to have more or less reception issues with a new TV over the existing STB? Any brands that have a better reputation for tuners in marginal signal areas?

Ideally I'd go really cheap. This TV won't get turned on much, other than by my 8yo.

The existing antenna might be about 15m high.

How long since this was last looked at?

A more suitable local transmitter might be able to provide better reception.

Any brands that have a better reputation for tuners in marginal signal areas?

There may well be - providing there is a useable signal being delivered by the antenna & distribution system. If this signal is not within the operating window of the set top box / TV, then nothing will happen, and a "no signal" message will result.

However, unless there is a good reason to operate right on the threshold of failure for digital signals (if this is indeed why you are having problems), I'd try to keep away from there.

How long since this was last looked at?

Probably a long time ago. The shack is about fifty years old, and Mum bought it twelve months ago.

A more suitable local transmitter might be able to provide better reception.

Sorry, just want to clarify what 'transmitter' means. Do you mean that a new TV transmitter might have been installed in the area, and thus I should check whether the existing hardware should reoriented?

Or is a 'transmitter' part of the antenna and distribution system? I know from my own experience in North Melbourne that installing a different type of antenna solved my reception issues. But that was something I did myself (with the generous assistance of another forum member who happened to live locally and have a spare antenna lying around which he let me borrow to test and then purchase at cost). To change the antenna in Aireys would be a much, much bigger undertaking, and would no doubt be very expensive if I got it done professionally. I'm really hoping to keep this pretty cheap. This TV won't get much use, and I'm not interested in spending lots of money.

However, unless there is a good reason to operate right on the threshold of failure for digital signals (if this is indeed why you are having problems), I'd try to keep away from there. [my emphasis]

Sorry, I don't quite understand. Are you suggesting that there will probably only be marginal differences between tuners in different TVs, and that I should be first looking to maximise the quality of the signal from the antenna?

When I next go down to the beach house I'll have a look to see what hardware is on top of newer houses in the same area, and what direction the antennae are pointing. Is it likely that the antenna I use at home, a Fracarro LP34HV, would be suitable down there? I could test with my existing hardware before buying a new one.

Edited by puffmoike

All,

I have never seen a manufacturer specify performance characteristics of their TV products, tuner sensitivity included.The only tuners to have performance specifications are signal strength meters. eg Rover HDPro Tab 29 - 130 dBμV.

The Dandenongs have multiple UHF only translator sites some are horizontally polarised and others are vertically polarised. You need to put your exact address into www.digitalready.gov.au to find the best one.

Anglesea/Aireys Inlet

The transmitters below are in band 4-5 UHF and will be restacked to band 4. The FracarroLP34HV antenna is a poor choice because half of the antenna is for channels 6 - 12 which are not used on this site.

Telstra Site Harvey Street MT INGOLDSBY

GTV31

ATV33

SBS39

HSV42

ABC56

Alanh

Alanh

Edited by alanh

Probably a long time ago. The shack is about fifty years old, and Mum bought it twelve months ago.

Not the one at number 4?

Do you mean that a new TV transmitter might have been installed in the area

Yes, you can check the transmitters that may serve your area by putting the property address into mySwitch, and see what eventuates.

thus I should check whether the existing hardware should reoriented?

Probably not. Full replacement of all items would probably be required. I suspect at the least an antenna such as this might be required, possibly also requiring a masthead amplifier, but I really have no idea.

To change the antenna in Aireys would be a much, much bigger undertaking, and would no doubt be very expensive if I got it done professionally. I'm really hoping to keep this pretty cheap. This TV won't get much use, and I'm not interested in spending lots of money.

If the owner of the property is eligible, you could consider the household assistance scheme.

Are you suggesting that there will probably only be marginal differences between tuners in different TVs, and that I should be first looking to maximise the quality of the signal from the antenna?

Absolutely.

When I next go down to the beach house I'll have a look to see what hardware is on top of newer houses in the same area, and what direction the antennae are pointing.

A good idea. Pick houses adjacent to this property, so they are hopefully in a similar location, requiring similar hardware as to what you may require.

Is it likely that the antenna I use at home, a Fracarro LP34HV, would be suitable down there? I could test with my existing hardware before buying a new one.

Not impossible, but I consider you would probably be lucky to get an improvement. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. :D

I have never seen a manufacturer specify performance characteristics of their TV products, tuner sensitivity included.

As an installer, I've seen many.

If the manufacturer doesn't specify, get the make/model number of the tuner module from the appliance, & use your favourite search engine to divine its characteristics.

The Dandenongs have multiple UHF only translator sites some are horizontally polarised and others are vertically polarised. You need to put your exact address into www.digitalready.gov.au to find the best one.

Anglesea/Aireys Inlet

The transmitters below are in band 4-5 UHF and will be restacked to band 4. The FracarroLP34HV antenna is a poor choice because half of the antenna is for channels 6 - 12 which are not used on this site.

Cheers Alan. Who'd have thought a government website would be the place to head for info ;)

Not the one at number 4?

Ummm, yes… [cue creepy horror movie music]

Yes, you can check the transmitters that may serve your area by putting the property address into mySwitch, and see what eventuates.

Cheers, seems like might be Melbourne or Aireys Inlet, but given it currently gets regional versions of the commercial stations I presume that means it's getting it from the Anglesea transmitter.

Probably not. Full replacement of all items would probably be required. I suspect at the least an antenna such as this might be required, possibly also requiring a masthead amplifier, but I really have no idea.

If the owner of the property is eligible, you could consider the household assistance scheme.

Cheers. It's not that we can't afford a new antenna, it's just a question of how much we're prepared to spend on something that won't get a lot of use. We go to the beach to go to the beach!

Thanks for all the great info. I'll check out the links you've given me in greater detail tomorrow.

Ummm, yes… [cue creepy horror movie music]

It wasn't that hard. You provided sufficient information in your posts to work it out.

Cheers, seems like might be Melbourne or Aireys Inlet, but given it currently gets regional versions of the commercial stations I presume that means it's getting it from the Anglesea transmitter.

I would have suggested Lorne in that case.

Next time you are there, have a close look at the existing antenna (image & post here if you wish) & the direction it faces.

It wasn't that hard. You provided sufficient information in your posts to work it out.

Yep. Just wasn't necessarily expecting anyone here to be so familiar with Aireys. ;-)

I'll check out the surrounding houses when I'm next there.

And having now read your helpful comments in another thread it's clear that all the odds are stacked against decent reception - not only does the house have multiple hills between it and most of the transmitters in the area, but the property is ringed with gigantic pine trees. So perhaps I should just be thankful we get reception most of the time.

Edited by puffmoike

hi puffmoike

If your reception is constantly unreliable it may be more cost effective in the long run to go VAST Satellite for perfect all channel tv reception all the time.

You can go to the 'my switch' or 'my VAST' web sites and do a dummy application to see if you are ok for the commercial channels, you can get ABC and SBS all

channels Australia wide without approval.

Merry Christmas to all

Tazzy

• 2 months later...

When in the AV business quite a few years ago the "gain strength" of a set was something that we tested regularly.

The difference between brands and even models was very noticeable. There was one well known and expensive brand that had pathetic signal gain on all its sets. I still see that same brand today still uses weak tuners.

The accountants determine very closely what to save 5c on with the making & marketing of a set.

Product price seems to have little influence on tuner sensitivity.

My new top of the range Panasonic TV has a less sensitive tuner than my new Samsung TV that cost 80% less. Both are outperformed by the free to air tuner in our Foxtel Mystar HD box, that I'm sure cost very little.