Sign in to follow this  
psychkiku

Request help for Receiver

Hi all,

I have just purchased a set of Jamo S606 Home Theatre systems speakers with the 550amp sub.

I am now in the market for a new amplifier and was hoping for some assistance.

I have a budget of around 1500-1800 and have come across a few which take my fancy.

I am tossing up between the onkyo tx-sr707 or Marantz sr6004. I have read numerous reviews about both these models and all I have read have been promising.

I have owned an onkyo in the past and was quite pleased with it. On the other hand I have heard great things about Marantz and believe they have a good reputation.

I think I am leaning towards the onkyo as the set of features it has is quite extensive, my only concern is the output of 100watts when compared to the marantz 110. Is this something minor? The only thing I dont like about the marantz is its lack of features when compared to other models/brands in that price range and the lack of THX certification.

Can anyone comment of the performance of these two amps and provide any other recommendations.

Ok I have been reading loads about the two amps mentioned above and came across a post recommending the yamaha rxv3900.

I have since been reading a lot about this amp and so far everything has been very positive. I also found it for a reasonable price so I will check it out tomorrow.

Does anyone have any comments regarding the use of this amp with the Jamo speakers I purchased? Thanks

Comparing to those two receivers I'd also consider Denon as they tend to put together some very good receivers.

Receivers seem to cut corners with power amps. Here's an alternative. Buy a receiver with the features you want that has pre outs, then add on some power amps at least for the main speakers. You might end up spending less on the receiver and overall getting better performance.

The way I'm headed is an Emotiva HT processor (around $900 shipped) + power amps that I already have. In your situation I'd probably consider an Emotiva power amp as well. You could probably do both with your budget and be a whole lot more impressed than with a receiver at the same price level.

check out:

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm Surround processor

http://emotiva.com/upa5.shtm 5 channel power amp

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm more powerful version

Cool thanks for the tip, I will give this some consideration and check out those links.

Thanks

Hey Paul - I noticed your reference to Emotiva gear. They look really interesting.

Couple of questions if you don't mind as I am a complete novice -

If I wanted a 7.1 setup I would opt for the HT processor and a 7 channel amp - is that right? Does the 7 channel also have an out for a sub? (I couldnt see it on the website).

No issues with power/plug for US equipment?

Geez they look nice and all the reviews seem to be very positive.

HD,

They are very interesting. Haven't had a chance to hear them yet, but I've seen one of their multi channel power amps at Selby Acoustics. They look a little like HK equipment, which were always my favourite in terms of the styling of cost conscious hifi (NAD, Rotel, HK, Denon, Marantz etc).

Good question about the plug. The answer lies in the PDF file that shows the back - the power plug is not in-built, but it has an IEC connector, just like my Rythmik plugs. My subs came with US plugs, I discarded them and used a PC power plug I already had. It's the same here. You'll probably get a US plug you can throw out, then spend a few bucks at Jaycar if you don't already have one lying around.

For the sub there is a balanced and unbalanced output. Something you don't normally find.

7.1 means 7 channel plus sub - the .1 part is the sub. I don't believe you actually can buy any HT receiver that doesn't have the sub part. Even if you buy a $400 cheapie.

The bass management is more powerful than most. You can choose the filter slope - I've not seen this feature in any receiver. In fact, most manuals don't even tell you what the slope is, much less allow you to change it. Choosing 12/24 db slopes is very very handy. There will be situations where one or the other will work better. A lot of manuals tend to dumb down the info so the majority understand it, but in so doing they take out useful information more advanaced users need.

Consider this. Buy Denon AVR1610 locally and it's about $900 which is about the cost of the Emotiva shipped here. In the US, the price of the Denon is $400 at Amazon. The Denon has cheapie RCA connectors that aren't even gold plated. The emotiva spent the extra for gold plated - the cost difference isn't huge but this is indicative of better quality components throughout.

Which would you prefer:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19986[/ATTACH]

or

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/AVR1610_Large_Back500.jpg

(image too big to include)

Why the difference?

* Emotiva are a young company selling direct while Denon are a large company selling via retail stores who also have their margin

* Emotiva rely on providing something impressive to get their foot in the door - their company is built on offering something different and aggressively priced

* no power amps included (a very good idea IMHO, receivers try to do too much in one box)

I like to support the local audio industry and if it means paying just a little bit more for a hifi store with service compared to box movers, no problem. But paying $3k+ for a local equivalent when about $900 buys the Emotiva is another matter! Even a cosmetically challenged NAD goes for $4k. Emotiva have put something equivalent within reach for those who would have otherwise bought an entry level receiver.

I should mention that there are some bugs, but it's not a secret - you can read about it on their forum. Apparently all receivers have problems with certain components with HDMI in particular.

Edited by Paul Spencer

Thanks Paul. That helps alot. I really cannot think why I wouldn't opt for this equipment. I must say that I am not one for all the 'bells and whistles' when it comes to AVR's. I just find it too confusing. I was leaning towards Onkyo I must say but apart from really high end brands, some of the jap brands seem so generic. The stuff from Emotiva looks to fit the bill - quality and performance over features. And I also have to admit that I LOVE the look of the equipment. I know this is hifi equipment, but it doesnt hurt to look beautiful as well does it?

Bit disappointing that they dont make a dvd player to make for a fully matched system.......

I have just emailed them asking for a price on the processor and the 7 channel amp. I also noticed their speakers - any views/experiences on them? They look monstrous.

Features are another reason to go for separates. Surround processors become obsolete quicker than the amps, so it makes sense to separate them. Also one processor can keep (just about) everyone happy, but power amp requirements are more individual. So it makes sense to upgrade the processor more frequently than the power amps. You could easily have 10 year old power amp that doesn't need upgrading, but a 10 year old receiver? You throw away the investment on the power amps and get a new one say every 5 years.

I like the look as well, more so than budget receivers. Nothing wrong with a bit of audio vanity!

I was suprised they only do a CD player ... I would have thought they would do a Bluray!

I also like that when you get a unit like this, more of the money goes into things like quality video processing and scaling and quality DACs. Then you use digital outputs from your Bluray for audio and video and your player is now a digital transport. That makes the quality of the player much less critical.

Emotiva speakers. They do look good for the price, however international shipping? Not so bad on the processor. I got a quote recently and it worked out about $900ish shipped. Also not so bad with the power amp - shipping will hurt a little but it's still going to be a good deal. With the speakers I think the shipping will be the killer. That's where I'd pursue the local options.

Got the email reply from Emotiva - very helpful folks indeed. They went to the trouble of downloading the specs on the speakers i am likely to match up to the equipment and gave some advice re the best amp option.

Not really ready to buy (the room isnt even finished yet) but boy, am I tempted. I will have to buy it at some stage yeah????

Oh and I asked about the likelihood of a DVD player in the future and they said it is a possibility. No confirmation but looks hopeful.

Oh and I asked about the likelihood of a DVD player in the future and they said it is a possibility. No confirmation but looks hopeful.

Buy the OPPO. It is the 'emotiva' of universal disc players.

Yeah the Oppo stuff looks nice.

Got a shipping quote from Emotiva for both the UMC and UPA - $230 USD. is it just me, or is that bl**dy cheap?

Thinking more about it, I am wondering if I really need a 7 channel system - maybe a 5.1 will do just fine and in that case the XPA-5 looks awesome. I have only ever had a 5 channel HT system so not really sure.

Actually after doing some mroe reading I think I just answered my own question. I think I will go for the XPA-5 - more power and if I ever want to go for 7 channels I can always add to the set up.

Actually after doing some mroe reading I think I just answered my own question. I think I will go for the XPA-5 - more power and if I ever want to go for 7 channels I can always add to the set up.

Those who have 'added' seem to do either an XPA-2 for the left and right, or two XPA-1 mono-blocks for the L and R.

I am sticking with my denon 3808, doing both amplification and pre-out. Life isn't simple, but I don't need extra complexity!

Benje

I think 5 channel is fine but it also depends on your room - whether you can fit 7 channel.

I'm not sold on the Emotiva processor yet, maybe in 12 months after a bit more "public" testing and fixing.

Their Amps have a good rep - perhaps an entry model Denon AVR and an emotiva Amp would be the go - you only really need external amps for the main channels so Emotiva's XPA-3 plus Denon's AVR1910 running the rears to the 5.1 version if you go for that

Oh and THX at this level is a waste of time.

By the time you get a new Denon AVR that has pre outs you have spent more than the cost of the Emotiva processor. According to one installer on the Emotiva forum, they have no more bugs than the alternatives. I don't know if that's true or not.

I had a chance to see the XPA5 recently and it certainly looks the goods. It's already more than enough power unless you are powering subs, in which case I'd probably go with a pro amp. Ideally surrounds should match the output of the mains. It's usually pragmatics that has them so much smaller, I wouldn't skimp on them too much.

Just my 2 cents. I have a Harman Kardon AVR 355. While I'm pleased with the sound quality on both movies and music I couldn't reccomend one due to the bugs it has. I have not upgraded the firmware yet. Newer model might be better if they're out yet. Lucky I think it's a dead sexy lookin bit of kit or it may have been replaced.

The Emotiva processor looks like it's a winner. All the bells and whistles. I will definately keep them in mind for the future. Add in a XPA-3 for centre and rear duty and I'm set.

Hi all,

I have owned an onkyo in the past and was quite pleased with it. On the other hand I have heard great things about Marantz and believe they have a good reputation.

I think I am leaning towards the onkyo as the set of features it has is quite extensive, my only concern is the output of 100watts when compared to the marantz 110. Is this something minor? The only thing I dont like about the marantz is its lack of features when compared to other models/brands in that price range and the lack of THX certification.

Can anyone comment of the performance of these two amps and provide any other recommendations.

First of all as a newbie to this site "G'day guys"

As a person who has just upgraded from a Marantz SR6200 [100w x6] to the Pioneer SC-LX82 THX [190x7] I'd say have a good look at this model.

I'm very happy with the clarity, power and features of the Pioneer and as it's available for $2000 instead of it's RRP $3700 it's also a bargain.

I'm running it with M&KS150THX mains and LCR55 C/R and an M&K MX5000THX sub and I find the Pioneer AVR has enough grunt to make everything really "boogie" when you wind it up!

My 2c

Cheers

Edited by Redone

Hi, are you still looking for a Receiver?

I am currently selling my Marantz SR6001S, I still have its original box.

For info and specs click this link http://www.qualifi.com.au/index.jsp?referrer=1043&section=brands&page=product_detail&product=53388

Looking to sell for $800 or nearest offer.

Thanks

P.S.

I am also selling top of the range Jamo inceiling/inwall speakers. Contact me for more info

Edited by redmica

Guest VladimirFreddie

A mate of mine has the Jamo S606 surround package with the sub above yours. He uses an old yamaha 6.1 receiver with them in his dedicated theatre room and is very happy.

Not an argument either way just some further info for you :P

I have the Emotiva UMC-1 and the XPA-5 now and I'm very happy with them, I was having some issues at first but today they released the production firmware. Seems to be running fine now, very nice sound and find it pleasing for my likes. I'm using some custom speakers from Adelaide speakers, cheap Sony BD, a CA640 for CD and for a CADVD99 for DVD/SACD. Haven't sorted out my TT yet. I was a little worried at first with the UMC-1 as I had a few issues but now I'm very happy indeed. Great value but I can't say much more till I've spent some more time listening, but so far thumps up for my tastes.

well my Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA 5 were delivered yesterday. After much thought and advice from this forum (thanks Paul) I decided to go 5.1 and the emotiva stuff looked too good - aussie dollar helped too!

I also bought 4 wharfedale 9.6 towers for front and rear surrounds with centre and sub to come. Won't have it set up for a while yet, but first impressions of the emotiva gear is fantastic. I know it has been said before, but MAN THE XPA 5 IS HEAVY!!!!!!!