Projectors With 4.5 Metre Throw To 80Inch Display (Off Centre)

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a projector to watch sports and movies in HD. No need for gaming. I've researched quite a few (BenQ, Optoma, Panasonic, Epson, Sony, JVC...)

I'll be connecting it to my AV Receiver.

Problem I face is I need a projector which will display an image on 80inch (16:9) screen from 4.5 metres and will be off centre from the display, so will need horizontal and vertical adjustment (ideally I have 2 places for the projector - will have projector off centre of display somewhere between 90cm horizontally and 1.4 metres vertically. Or option two, 1.4 metres horizontally and 80cm vertically. Both positions will be 4.5 metres from display. I can't mount from ceiling/don't want to as I'm renting.

Cable run shouldn't be an issue - I will run HDMI to Cat if need be (run will be under 15 metres)

Viewing distance is just over 3 metres. I can't get a bigger screen/don't want a bigger screen (has anybody experienced screens from Selby? 80 inch fixed for $300 or Epson portable screen $90 as an introduction)

I'd like to budget $2000 for the projector. But would be awesome if I don't have to spend that much.

Benq W7000+ may just make it (just under $2k) along with higher end Epson (EH-TW8000 and up) and have also seen panasonic pt-ae8000 for $2849. But both of these are over budget. I'm told these are all genuine Australian stock. I don't want an import. Also, the Panasonic seems to be exceptionally quiet at only 22db, compared to 33db of BenQ and 32 of Epson.

Can anybody vouch for BenQ W7000+ versus the Epsons and Panasonic? Is the extra $900 really worth it? Do I need to spend this much? I'll only be using the projector a few times a week, say 10-15 hours per week maximum.

Is there anything else out there other than the BenQ W7000+?

I've seen a couple of projectors on demo - Optoma HD33, JVC (DLA___ way over budget at $5k, so irrelevant), Epson 6100 and 8100. Out of these only the Epson 8100 would qualify.

I'm not fussed on quality of 3D. More interested in quality of 2D.

Have also seen the Epson clearance centre, but not sure if it's wise to spend around $2k on something with only 6 months warranty.

Like most people out there, I want the best projector image which meets my needs and for the best value.

I'll be setting this up in the lounge. Usual thing, cream walls and has ambient light during the day so pretty sure I'll need over 2000 Lumens for anything during afternoon viewing. For any major event i'd block out windows if need be.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

Hi Upstairs,

You probably want this in the Projectors forum rather than in the For Sale section. You'll probably get better responses there.

You will probably want to go to http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm and punch in the projectors you are looking at there to see if they will do that size screen over that distance.

Thanks Eli, appreciate your feedback.

Have since been told 90 inches would be no problems from 3 metres, which gives me a little bit flexibility with the range. Good advice on hear about projecting the image on to a wall first to determine what size/format is best for you.

Look forward to sharing results on here. Still think I'm gonna have to go the path of Epson 8100 series and up, or similar if I want a configuration which works for my current lounge setting/girlfriend tolerance.

I recently got a epson tw-5200 and while it doesnt have the specs your after at 4.5m the screen is somewhere around 115 inches for with i expected girlfriend resistance but actually got girlfriend applause. She may say 80-90 inches is too big but its a different story when you actually have the big screen up on the wall........just make sure you preview it to her with a movie she really likes. ( A bit of manipulation defenitely helps)

Thanks Steffan, for what I want the tw-5200 is very tempting at under $1000. For the saving of over $1800 (compared to higher spec models) I'd probably be willing to compromise on not placing the projector in the ideal location (by side of sofa, on a side table).

Can you confirm the horizontal image/lens shift is okay on the 5200? My new measurements tell me I'd be needing a 20 degree shift horizontally. I see on the epson website 30 degrees is possible?

Vertically, there wouldn't be much shift at all, so should be all good there. No worries if this isn't something you've had to play around with.

Thanks for the tip on the movie preview manipulation... Not sure if I'll get Dirty Dancing, The Notebook, or Bridget Jones' Diary.

I Haven't really played with lens shift....it was my understanding it doesn't have it on that model, hence my comment that it doesn't necessarily have the specs your after. I currently have mine in a temporary position on top of a speaker box, until i get a permanent stand for it. Mine will be pretty much dead straight on though so lens shift was never really an issue for me. I think you must be thinking of the keystone adjustment. Mine seemed to do that automatically. Bear in mind i am a projector novice. What state are you located in?

Hi, yeah - Lens shift is what I mean. I'm still very new to the world of projectors too. I'm in NSW.

I went to office works and checked their returns policy on the Epson 80 inch portable screen.

Bought one to check how it would look at home. I have 7 days to return if it doesn't meet my needs.

Few adjustments need to be made to the set up of the actual scree as the tripod feet are dead set ugly - apparently you can also hang the screen, which could be handy. I've noticed ripples on the screen, not sure how much that will effect the image. Does anybody really care at this end of the budget scale? ($89)

As soon as I figure out how to attach files on here, I'll post some pics in case anybody wants to see a real life pic of how the screen looks out of the box.Cheers, Pete

Edited by Upstairs116

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a projector to watch sports and movies in HD. No need for gaming. I've researched quite a few (BenQ, Optoma, Panasonic, Epson, Sony, JVC...)

I'll be connecting it to my AV Receiver.

Problem I face is I need a projector which will display an image on 80inch (16:9) screen from 4.5 metres and will be off centre from the display, so will need horizontal and vertical adjustment (ideally I have 2 places for the projector - will have projector off centre of display somewhere between 90cm horizontally and 1.4 metres vertically. Or option two, 1.4 metres horizontally and 80cm vertically. Both positions will be 4.5 metres from display. I can't mount from ceiling/don't want to as I'm renting.

Cable run shouldn't be an issue - I will run HDMI to Cat if need be (run will be under 15 metres)

Viewing distance is just over 3 metres. I can't get a bigger screen/don't want a bigger screen (has anybody experienced screens from Selby? 80 inch fixed for $300 or Epson portable screen $90 as an introduction)

I'd like to budget $2000 for the projector. But would be awesome if I don't have to spend that much.

Benq W7000+ may just make it (just under $2k) along with higher end Epson (EH-TW8000 and up) and have also seen panasonic pt-ae8000 for $2849. But both of these are over budget. I'm told these are all genuine Australian stock. I don't want an import. Also, the Panasonic seems to be exceptionally quiet at only 22db, compared to 33db of BenQ and 32 of Epson.

Can anybody vouch for BenQ W7000+ versus the Epsons and Panasonic? Is the extra $900 really worth it? Do I need to spend this much? I'll only be using the projector a few times a week, say 10-15 hours per week maximum.

Is there anything else out there other than the BenQ W7000+?

I've seen a couple of projectors on demo - Optoma HD33, JVC (DLA___ way over budget at $5k, so irrelevant), Epson 6100 and 8100. Out of these only the Epson 8100 would qualify.

I'm not fussed on quality of 3D. More interested in quality of 2D.

Have also seen the Epson clearance centre, but not sure if it's wise to spend around $2k on something with only 6 months warranty.

Like most people out there, I want the best projector image which meets my needs and for the best value.

I'll be setting this up in the lounge. Usual thing, cream walls and has ambient light during the day so pretty sure I'll need over 2000 Lumens for anything during afternoon viewing. For any major event i'd block out windows if need be.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

Why don't you want a bigger screen? 80 inches is hardly even worth using a projector. At 3 metres you could easily watch a 100-110 inch image..

You would have been far better off getting the projector first then play around with screen sizes.

The epson 5200 http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_2000-projection-calculator-pro.htm (it's called the home cinema 2000 in the USA)

at 4.5 metres, the smallest image is 138 inch diagonal so that model needs to come forward to 2.6 metres at minimum zoom.

The BenQ W7000 will throw an 84 inch image at min zoom at 4.5 metres so that ticks the boxes http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W7000-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The Optoma OP-HD25LVGK is the new high brightness model from optoma.. not sure what post calibration brigthness is like though and that can be had for under 2K comes with glasses too and 3 year warranty.

Ahh but not enough lens shift, only image shift and keystone.. no calculator at pj central as yet for this model.

If you're going to use a projector for 10-15hrs a week then I would only suggest getting at least a $300 flocked frame fixed screen.. surely the real estate wont worry about 2 screws in the wall? When you move out, put picture hooks in where the screws were.

An 80 inch tripod screen from office works is not meant for home theatre, it's an office/data projector screen.

Thanks Oztheatre, can't believe how much assistance I'm getting on here.

I'm limited to the 80 inch due to size of the area I have to play with (lounge room, not a dedicated theatre). My speakers are approx 2.5 metres apart. I can't put them any further apart due to a walk way into the kitchen. I know I could get a 90 inch screen between them with a couple of inches to spare, but storage when not in use is a problem. More on that later...

I asked Office Works if I could return the 80inch screen if it was not suitable for my needs. They're were more than happy for me to return it at full refund. I figured it's easier to to return a screen than to return a projector.

Also, the idea is to place the screen in front of the current tv. I'm thinking of making a bracket which can hold/hang the screen in place. I can't put a screen on the wall due to the current tv being in the way, which is sitting on a unit, 60cm high, and due to the tv's stand/base, 30cm out from the wall.

I'm totally with you on the fixed screen. Good advice - especially with the fit and finish with these screens with the velour frame, compared to portables. I see Selby have fixed screens starting around the $300 mark. My only problem there is where to store it, when not in use. I'd be looking at storing in a box, under a bed at best.

Also, I'm renting... If I have to move I may not have as big an area as what I have now. I figure 80 inches is a happy medium.

Originally I was looking at 60-65 inch tv, but I'm not sure I want something that big on display all the time, especially with FTA. Without going off topic, was looking at panasonic th-p60st60a and the 65vt60... I'm happy with my current 42 inch for everyday use, just want something for movies on the weekend and a couple of footy games a week. I figured for the same price as these tv's I could have an 80 inch display. I watch movies and sport through foxtel, blu ray, or apple tv. My receiver has 2 HDMI outs, so thought this could be perfect for hooking up a projector.

I don't seem to be able to attach files/pics to my posts. As soon as I figure it out, I'll post a pic of my current setup, which may give a better idea of what I'm up against.

I do feel I'm stuck in that area between big tv, or projector...

Cheers again, Pete

Hope this link works. Pic of current set up and with the 80 inch screen, which I don't think I'll be using. Fixed screen looks so much better (and no doubt will perform better too).

http://www.dtvforum....howtopic=142993

oztheatre - just realised you sell screens too. Didn't mean to cause any offence, apologies if I did.

Edited by Upstairs116

Hope this link works. Pic of current set up and with the 80 inch screen, which I don't think I'll be using. Fixed screen looks so much better (and no doubt will perform better too).

http://www.dtvforum....howtopic=142993

oztheatre - just realised you sell screens too. Didn't mean to cause any offence, apologies if I did.

Have you toyed with the idea of never using your TV again? and use the PJ as your main viewing panel? Because this is what happens time and time again.. people end up so taken by projection and the big image, they end up using it as a main display device.. Sure some who have dedicated rooms will still use a TV in the loungeroom, but since you're already there... I don't think the ol TV will get much use after you start watching movies and TV on the projector and screen combo.

You could probably rig up some sort of L-shaped stand for the screen too.. on your cabinet.. if you're not allowed to put 2 small holes in the walls - You can only ask. Why not try the selby screen at $300 you can hardly go wrong. No offence at all mate, I'm a screen manufacturer, my screens cost more than that epson so they're not for everyone.

If there is daytime viewing (with ambient light) taking place and the wife etc wants to use the TV, then yeah you'll have to store it somewhere.. ideally hang it up in another room so it doesn't get damaged at all.

Why not consider a manual or electric retractable screen? It can be supported on a fabricated stand and drop down in front of a TV, and or moved elsewhere much easier than a fixed screen.

I tried using a projector and 100" screen as a TV when my 70" TV was away for a couple of months for repairs, but soon found it less than best for free to air and even HD Foxtel.

In anything other than complete darkness the TV stomped the projector for overall picture quality so I now reserve the projector for Bluray movies and complete darkness only.

I've thought about totally replacing the tv with a projector, but it won't be practical as there's too much light during the day in our current setup for everyday use.

Retractable screen could work if the price v quality was good enough. Otherwise, if the $300 (at approx 80 inch) fixed screens are good enough for entry level viewing then I'd settle for that.

I'm really leaning towards the Epson EH-TW5200 for the price and reviews I've read so far. For the retail saving of over $1000 I think I could tolerate the projector being in sight/by the side of the sofa, rather than a the back of the room with the longer throw capabilities of the 8100 series/Benq W7000+. I'm sure the 5200 won't have as great an image as these pj's, but I'm pretty sure it will be good enough for my requirements. Also, the 5200 has such a smaller footprint and bulbs are significantly cheaper.

Looking forward to providing updates :)

I've thought about totally replacing the tv with a projector, but it won't be practical as there's too much light during the day in our current setup for everyday use.

Retractable screen could work if the price v quality was good enough. Otherwise, if the $300 (at approx 80 inch) fixed screens are good enough for entry level viewing then I'd settle for that.

I'm really leaning towards the Epson EH-TW5200 for the price and reviews I've read so far. For the retail saving of over $1000 I think I could tolerate the projector being in sight/by the side of the sofa, rather than a the back of the room with the longer throw capabilities of the 8100 series/Benq W7000+. I'm sure the 5200 won't have as great an image as these pj's, but I'm pretty sure it will be good enough for my requirements. Also, the 5200 has such a smaller footprint and bulbs are significantly cheaper.

Looking forward to providing updates :)

I have my 5200 on top of a speaker box about 30-40 cm from my head. I tend to use it in eco mode on cinema where it is not loud at all. I am lucky in that i have rollershutters on all the doors and windows of the house so light is not really an issue